Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you have to "Report" as a blocker
Yesterday we saw a lot of Adeniji lining up and reporting as eligible. It's known JB likes an empty set and I think this is one way Zac is trying to appease him. My question is: Can't we just assign HA an eligible number and not required to report every time?

Seems simple enough but I wonder if there's a rule if an olineman get injured he must be replaced by a certain number. I personally think Smith would preform better in the role, but that's a separate matter.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You do not have to report as a blocker unless you will be uncovered at the end of the line. Then you have to report as an eligible receiver

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yesterday we saw a lot of Adeniji lining up and reporting as eligible. It's known JB likes an empty set and I think this is one way Zac is trying to appease him. My question is: Can't we just assign HA an eligible number and not required to report every time?

Seems simple enough but I wonder if there's a rule if an olineman get injured he must be replaced by a certain number. I personally think Smith would preform better in the role, but that's a separate matter.

Aren't numbers irrelevant now?
I thought anyone can be any number.

Also, every player who isn't normally listed as a WR/TE/RB has to report as eligible if they are coming in as one of the 5 potential offensive weapons, I thought.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:50 PM)pally Wrote: You do not have to report as a blocker unless you will be uncovered at the end of the line.  Then you have to report as an eligible receiver
 Yeah, I kinda got that but I was wondering if a eligible number can line up in the interior oline without any restrictions
(09-26-2022, 04:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Aren't numbers irrelevant now?
I thought anyone can be any number.

Also, every player who isn't normally listed as a WR/TE/RB has to report as eligible if they are coming in as one of the 5 potential offensive weapons, I thought.
IDK, I thin there are still "ineligible numbers". I haven't seen too many guards sporting 32

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yesterday we saw a lot of Adeniji lining up and reporting as eligible. It's known JB likes an empty set and I think this is one way Zac is trying to appease him. My question is: Can't we just assign HA an eligible number and not required to report every time?

You still do have to have an eligible number to be on the line.  If you are 84 lining up at guard, then there is going to be a flag.  So if Adjeniji wore 84 and had to play tackle, I guess he's have to report an ineligible every play if that's even a thing.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  Yeah, I kinda got that but I was wondering if a eligible number can line up in the interior oline without any restrictions
IDK, I thin there are still "ineligible numbers". I haven't seen too many guards sporting 32

Isn't that primarily because players haven't cared too much about changing their numbers?

Maybe down the road in a few years, we start seeing some different (fun?) numbers for players in different positions.

I'd love to see a QB with 55 or 99 lol
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 05:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You still do have to have an eligible number to be on the line.  If you are 84 lining up at guard, then there is going to be a flag.  So if Adjeniji wore 84 and had to play tackle, I guess he's have to report an ineligible every play if that's even a thing.

Are you sure?

A WR can wear single digits now, like Chase.
He doesn't have to report as eligible despite being a number that isn't traditionally available for WR/TE/RB.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with your position designation going into the game.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  Yeah, I kinda got that but I was wondering if a eligible number can line up in the interior oline without any restrictions

Offensive linemen still have number restrictions.  They must wear a number from 50-79.  Defensive linemen, linebackers have some overlapping numbers with the O-linemen so that may be your option in an extreme emergency

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 05:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Are you sure?

He doesn't have to report as eligible despite being a number that isn't traditionally available for WR/TE/RB.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with your position designation going into the game.

I think they "relaxed" the rules allowing skill players to wear any number not designed for the Oline. 

Fun fact I learned when I started checking this out. All defensive players are eligible receivers. So they can wear whatever number they want. 

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 05:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Are you sure?

Receivers can't wear Oline numbers, and Oline has to wear 50-79. That's why they have to report as eligible.

Edit: Pally beat me to it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 05:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think they "relaxed" the rules allowing skill players to wear any number not designed for the Oline. 

Fun fact I learned when I started checking this out. All defensive players are eligible receivers. So they can wear whatever number they want. 

Well that's no fun.

#EveryNumberForEveryone
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 05:09 PM)pally Wrote: Offensive linemen still have number restrictions.  They must wear a number from 50-79.  Defensive linemen, linebackers have some overlapping numbers with the O-linemen so that may be your option in an extreme emergency

How fun would it have been to see Vontaze Burfict blocking on the OL? lol
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Thanks to ol' Bill in NE, there are some restrictions on it, but I can't remember exactly what the rule says.

The Pats put some extra guys out there, do there was no way to determine who was eligible and who was not until after the guys took off running. That meant you might not have a DB lined up on the guy. I believe Saban might have also done it the day before at Alabama. Either way, they corrected the loophole immediately.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 06:02 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Thanks to ol' Bill in NE, there are some restrictions on it, but I can't remember exactly what the rule says.

The Pats put some extra guys out there, do there was no way to determine who was eligible and who was not until after the guys took off running.  That meant you might not have a DB lined up on the guy.  I believe Saban might have also done it the day before at Alabama.  Either way, they corrected the loophole immediately.

That's not entirely correct. 

The rule has always been, 7 guys on the LoS, the two nearest the sidelines are eligible. Everyone else on the LoS between them are ineligible. If the guy closest to a sideline has an inelible number, he must report as eligible. 

Bill just aligned guys so that a WR (or TE, i can't remember) was lined up on the LoS, with a WR outside of him (covering him and making him ineligible), which meant that when the ball was snapped, the guy inside could not run a route, even though he was a TE or WR. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2022, 01:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's not entirely correct. 

The rule has always been, 7 guys on the LoS, the two nearest the sidelines are eligible. Everyone else on the LoS between them are ineligible. If the guy closest to a sideline has an inelible number, he must report as eligible. 

Bill just aligned guys so that a WR (or TE, i can't remember) was lined up on the LoS, with a WR outside of him (covering him and making him ineligible), which meant that when the ball was snapped, the guy inside could not run a route, even though he was a TE or WR. 

Faulk beat me to it: it matters as to how many on the LOS and in the backfield.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Just assign 2 different numbers to Adeniji. He can switch numbers based on where he lines up.

50-79 when he lines up as one of the interior 5.

Receiver number when he lines up uncovered on the end.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 05:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think they "relaxed" the rules allowing skill players to wear any number not designed for the Oline. 

I don't think that is the case.

D-lineman still need to wear a number between 50-79 or 90-99.

Linebackers can only wear numbers 1-59 and 90-99

DBs have to wear a number 1-49
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2022, 03:37 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't think that is the case.

D-lineman still need to wear a number between 50-79 or 90-99.

Linebackers can only wear numbers 1-59 and 90-99

DBs have to wear a number 1-49

[Image: OIP.eIta2BL_94R4cMBBOazSDwHaE8?pid=ImgDet&rs=1]

Do they consider Thibodaux to be a LB?

Most likely, but I meant they can wear any number and still be an eligible receiver.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2022, 04:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: OIP.eIta2BL_94R4cMBBOazSDwHaE8?pid=ImgDet&rs=1]

Do they consider Thibodaux to be a LB?

Most likely, but I meant they can wear any number and still be an eligible receiver.

I'm guessing he is, as well as some of the other DEs that are wearing single digits.

I see your point about the eligible receiver.
Reply/Quote