Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you live in a bubble?
This link popped up on my Twitter feed and I thought I'd share: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/do-you-live-in-a-bubble-a-quiz-2/

Quick little quiz that gives you a score. The higher the score, the thinner your bubble. The lower the score, the more insulated you are from the average American life. Be honest, guys. This will be very interesting.

I had a 61
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-03-2017, 03:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This link popped up on my Twitter feed and I thought I'd share: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/do-you-live-in-a-bubble-a-quiz-2/

Quick little quiz that gives you a score. The higher the score, the thinner your bubble. The lower the score, the more insulated you are from the average American life. Be honest, guys. This will be very interesting.

I had a 61

[Image: score.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-03-2017, 03:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: score.jpg]

I think my television and movie going habits lowered mine. I rarely watch television or go to the movies. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-03-2017, 03:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think my television and movie going habits lowered mine. I rarely watch television or go to the movies. LOL

Same here.

My wife watches a lot of the shows listed and I can hear them from where my computer is, but I don't sit down to watch often at all even though I can tell you a lot about the show.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I got a 43, but honestly I think a large reason for the higher score was we lived off base at several of my father's postings, like Lima, Ohio.

"A first-generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and movie going habits"

I was raised by a single mom in a lower middle class to middle class area within a major metropolitan area with a large minority population.

Does not being from a more rural area or watching NASCAR put me more in a bubble? Maybe it was being a first generation college grad?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-03-2017, 04:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: 51

"A first-generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and movie going habits"

I was raised by a single mom in a lower middle class to middle class area within a major metropolitan area with a large minority population.

They aren't saying you fall in that group, they are giving the typical ranges for a couple of broad categories. When you look at those, you can see how you fair compared to those groups.

(03-03-2017, 04:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Does not being from a more rural area or watching NASCAR put me more in a bubble? Maybe it was being a first generation college grad?

Hard to say. Some of the questions definitely seemed a bit arbitrary and odd.

I had a 64, to which I credit my visiting Branson for thinning-out my bubble ....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(03-03-2017, 04:20 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I had a 64, to which I credit my visiting Branson for thinning-out my bubble ....

I put Richard Branson. Mellow
A first-generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and movie going habits. Typical: 66.

But I took the quiz to mostly mean "how redneck is your bubble."
You got 76 points.

The higher your score, the thinner your bubble. The lower, the more insulated you might be from mainstream American culture.

See below for scores Charles Murray would expect you to get based on the following descriptions.

48–99: A lifelong resident of a working-class neighborhood with average television and movie going habits. Typical: 77.

42–100: A first-generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and movie going habits. Typical: 66.

11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.

0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.

0–20: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person with the television and movie going habits of the upper middle class. Typical: 2.

Most likely got a lot of points for Military.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I got a 45, but I'm not sure how well this quiz can peg me. I'm from a small town and I sure have those small town roots, but I was raised by liberal union democrats and I've worked in small town factories as well as in Manhattan and in Chicago. I'm all over the place, and I'm not even on the run.

It's hard to consider myself particularly redneck when my first reaction to Trump's ant-Muslim tirade was wondering how it would effect the manner by which I used to process travel reports and expenses for many of the PhD students I worked with/for. Go figure. Welp, I worked in a factory to help pay for grad school so I ain't nothin' but a big ol' dummy who eats SKOAL!
I guess I'm more in touch with the general population that I realized.

Quote:Scoring
You got 72 points.
The higher your score, the thinner your bubble. The lower, the more insulated you might be from mainstream American culture.
See below for scores Charles Murray would expect you to get based on the following descriptions.
48–99: A lifelong resident of a working-class neighborhood with average television and movie going habits. Typical: 77.
42–100: A first-generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and movie going habits. Typical: 66.
11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.
0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.
0–20: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person with the television and movie going habits of the upper middle class. Typical: 2.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

Ever had a job which made you ache?

LMAO
(03-03-2017, 06:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I got a 45, but I'm not sure how well this quiz can peg me.  I'm from a small town and I sure have those small town roots, but I was raised by  liberal union democrats and I've worked in small town factories as well as in Manhattan and in Chicago.  I'm all over the place, and I'm not even on the run.

It's hard to consider myself particularly redneck when my first reaction to Trump's ant-Muslim tirade was wondering how it would effect the manner by which I used to process travel reports and expenses for many of the PhD students I worked with/for.  Go figure.  Welp, I worked in a factory to help pay for grad school so I ain't nothin' but a big ol' dummy who eats SKOAL!

Skoal, ugh. 

Copenhagen. 
34. I answered the Jimmy Johnson question and don't watch much regular tv. I totally flunked on the military question.
(03-03-2017, 06:24 PM)Goalpost Wrote: 34.  I answered the Jimmy Johnson question and don't watch much regular tv.  I totally flunked on the military question.

It was Jimmie Johnson
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-03-2017, 06:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It was Jimmie Johnson

Exactly, Jimmie Johnson and Jimmy Johnson are two entirely different people.  Not to be confused with Jimmy John's, the makers of overpriced, mediocre quality sandwiches.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-03-2017, 06:24 PM)Goalpost Wrote: 34.  I answered the Jimmy Johnson question and don't watch much regular tv.  I totally flunked on the military question.

I think Jimmie Johnson is the racing guy, but the quiz probably doesn't take into account if you find that out via knowing NASCAR OR watching that episode of South Park that makes fun of people who know NASCAR.

Other Jimmy Johnsons that come to mind include:

1.  football coach/analyst/Head 'n' Shoulders enthusiast
2.  Muscle Shoals group guitarist
3.  another guitarist
4.  a bass player
5.  I think maybe the guy who would write and play a lot of the WWF themes was named Jimmy Johnson, but I'm not confident about that one

restaurant / movie / tv questions seem ridiculous. i dont consume trash. (other than sb's memes)