Poll: Do you think the NFL will always be the most popular sports league in America>
This poll is closed.
yes
42.86%
3 42.86%
no
57.14%
4 57.14%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think the NFL could lose its status as most popular league in America?
So do you think the NFL will ever lose its title as most popular league in America?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Someday maybe, but not anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
I thought baseball was the most popular league? The Super Bowl gets more viewers than any game of The World Series, though.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
it doesn't seem like it for now. But as it slowly morphs into two hand tag it may.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
Wait until more of these guys start putting shotguns to their chest and pulling the trigger.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 09:30 AM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: But as it slowly morphs into two hand tag it may.

Right, because the main reason everyone watches football is to see guys get brain injuries.  That is the biggest draw.

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 10:06 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: Wait until more of these guys start putting shotguns to their chest and pulling the trigger.

No one cares as long as they don't do it on the field.

Well, actually people will care, but it won't have any effect on the popularity of the game. People didn't stop listening to rock music in the 70's when so many stars were killing themselves.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 10:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, because the main reason everyone watches football is to see guys get brain injuries.  That is the biggest draw.

Rolleyes

I'm all for safety. Anything that can be done — within reasonable limits — to make the game safer is fine by me, so long as it doesn't affect the integrity of play on the field. Headhunters? Fine 'em, suspend 'em. There's a huge difference between being a physical player and maliciously trying to injure another man.
Reply/Quote
I don't think so because the season's so much shorter, so every game matters more.

It's also definitely more exciting than baseball because not much happens in baseball (except for maybe a few times a game, which doesn't justify watching all those innings of nothing for a lot of people).

Basketball is also too long of a season and a lot of people don't want to keep up with that many teams for that long.

As long as the rules don't come to the point where it's flag football, it will remain the most popular.

Even if it was flag football, it still might be the most popular.
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure professional football will be the most followed league for a long time to come. Like others have said, they just need to keep the head hunters in check. No more slaps on the wrist.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 09:30 AM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: it doesn't seem like it for now. But as it slowly morphs into two hand tag it may.

Football today is far less violent and far more profitable than it was in the 60s and 70s.  I suppose you thought people were going to stop watching when the NFL told Night Train Lane to stop doing this:

[Image: Dick-Night-Train-Lane-235x300.jpg]

What?  I can't do that to Tom Brady?  Nuts to this sport, let's all go watch something else! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 11:39 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Football today is far less violent and far more profitable than it was in the 60s and 70s.  I suppose you thought people were going to stop watching when the NFL told Night Train Lane to stop doing this:

[Image: Dick-Night-Train-Lane-235x300.jpg]

What?  I can't do that to Tom Brady?  Nuts to this sport, let's all go watch something else! Ninja
Very poor analogy IMO.

NFL didn't even merge until the 69's. Back then Football wasn't even very popular. Back then ticket sales accounted for almost 60 percent of football's total revenue; today broadcast contracts account for about half of the revenue.

Also, the OP was about being "most popular" NOT people just stop watching.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 09:30 AM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: it doesn't seem like it for now. But as it slowly morphs into two hand tag it may.

I think you're mistaken here, there's a huge population of fans that want to see big scores and big plays by the offense.

As long as it doesn't literally become 2 hand tag, it will likely remain the most popular or very close to it. A couple of minor rule changes aren't really going to make people stop wanting to watch or get them interesting into baseball or basketball anymore than they already are.
Reply/Quote
Maybe one day. I'm sure many doubted that baseball would lose that title.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 12:38 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I think you're mistaken here, there's a huge population of fans that want to see big scores and big plays by the offense.

As long as it doesn't literally become 2 hand tag,
That's the exact same thing I stated. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 01:08 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: That's the exact same thing I stated. ThumbsUp

I think you completely missed my point ThumbsUp

You stated that as it "morphs into two hand tag" taking a shot at the rule changes.

I stated that unless it LITERALLY turns into two hand tag that I can't see people other than a very, very small population of people giving a shit about some minor rule changes that favor more scoring and bigger numbers for the offense.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 01:29 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I think you completely missed my point ThumbsUp

You stated that as it "morphs into two hand tag" taking a shot at the rule changes.

I stated that unless it LITERALLY turns into two hand tag that I can't see people other than a very, very small population of people giving a shit about some minor rule changes that favor more scoring and bigger numbers for the offense.

[Image: banghead.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 10:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No one cares as long as they don't do it on the field.

Well, actually people will care, but it won't have any effect on the popularity of the game.  People didn't stop listening to rock music in the 70's when so many stars were killing themselves.

That's true, but the families of Cobain aren't suing 'Rock n Roll' for making Cobain shotgun himself.  
Reply/Quote
Man, why is this worded so oddly? The title and the poll are opposites and now I think I voted for the wrong option.

We also need a timeline here. Eventually, the NFL won't be top dog as parents restrict kids from playing, athletes realize there is more money in other sports, and more information on long term health is revealed.

I have no idea how long that will take, but like baseball, it will fall eventually.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 12:34 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Very poor analogy IMO.

NFL didn't even merge until the 69's. Back then Football wasn't even very popular. Back then ticket sales accounted for almost 60 percent of football's total revenue; today broadcast contracts account for about half of the revenue.

Also, the OP was about being "most popular" NOT people just stop watching.

My point is that new rules to soften the game are hardly a new concept.  People keep acting like putting player safety on a priority list is some sort of brand new slap in the face to fans.  It's not.  
Reply/Quote