Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you trust Zac with player overhaul too?
(10-01-2019, 09:57 AM)sonofstat Wrote: Lots of back and forth on whether the record is primarily the product of inheriting a poor squad or poor coaching (obviously its both but that's too pragmatic a position for a message board right!  ThumbsUp )

So, simple question.  

In the off season do you trust Zac leading a significant player overhaul?

What was in his control clearly this off season was the coaching overhaul and that looks dubious at the moment with particularly Turner and Lou in the crosshairs.

But do you feel confident in him assembling a roster.

Does he knows where to get his new QB, whether he values LB position or not and will invest in it, is he a 4-3/3-4 guy and does he know what players he needs to get there, does he want small speedy WR's / big bodies etc,etc.

This is basically the same squad as last season, except it played much better last year. Last year it at least won with Dalton under center and went 5-3. This season they can't get out of their own way on offense.

The front office handed Marvin Bobby Hart last season as a backup OT and fully expected Ogbuehi to play RT. But Pollock got Hart to play better. Now Pollock is gone.

It really doesn't matter what kind of players ZT wants, he's got what is there and he needs to call plays based on the players he has. Tomlin did that very thing last night and won decisively.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 10:53 PM)BengalChris Wrote: This is basically the same squad as last season, except it played much better last year. Last year it at least won with Dalton under center and went 5-3. This season they can't get out of their own way on offense.

The front office handed Marvin Bobby Hart last season as a backup OT and fully expected Ogbuehi to play RT. But Pollock got Hart to play better. Now Pollock is gone.

It really doesn't matter what kind of players ZT wants, he's got what is there and he needs to call plays based on the players he has. Tomlin did that very thing last night and won decisively.

Last year Marvin was 5-3 with AJ and then 1-7 without his best player.

He was 6-7 with Cordy Glenn and 0-3 without him.

This year we've only experienced playing without them and it looks the same as playing without them last year.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 08:33 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Last year Marvin was 5-3 with AJ and then 1-7 without his best player.

He was 6-7 with Cordy Glenn and 0-3 without him.

This year we've only experienced playing without them and it looks the same as playing without them last year.

We were also without Eifert and Dalton in those games. Not exactly a good comparison.

This year's team is playing at a new level of bad.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 10:37 AM)BengalChris Wrote: We were also without Eifert and Dalton in those games. Not exactly a good comparison.

This year's team is playing at a new level of bad.

Yep.
The Bengals replaced one of the actual good position coaches on the team last year with a worse one. Frank Pollack to Jim Turner. So far, it looks like they didn't do a great job with their LB coach either. The injuries to Williams, Glenn, and AJ along with Boling's retirement sure aren't helping either.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The jury is still out for me. I felt really good about a lot of the things he did in the offseason (some not so much). But I'm not feeling so hot about the results on the field, duh !

I'll reserve judgement for now, I'm sorta anxious to see how they respond and what they do with the rest of this already basically lost season.
Reply/Quote
Nope. Should have promoted Zim when we had him in the organization, Marvin and Zim were great at getting the players they needed for their roles. Bengals of course let him walk, but hey they have managed to keep around a crappy Special teams coordinator for 15+ years.....What a backwards franchise. The Bengals will just have to get lucky somehow under current management because winning football games is not the very top priority with this franchise.
[Image: 5Lx1vqY]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 10:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The jury is still out for me. I felt really good about a lot of the things he did in the offseason (some not so much). But I'm not feeling so hot about the results on the field, duh !

I'll reserve judgement for now, I'm sorta anxious to see how they respond and what they do with the rest of this already basically lost season.

The offseason was a trainwreck outside of a small amount of things.

-The Jonah Williams pick was great. Kind of a no brainer.
-The Sample pick in the 2nd Round was a reach. Yeah maybe teams need blocking TE's, but 2nd Round guys should be impact players. We see rookie TE's doing good things. Look at the guy from Buffalo that trucked 2 Bengals. Yeah he was picked way later than Sample.
-The rest of the draft was meh.

-Free agency was terrible. Bobby Hart for $21 million. He's WORSE than last year. Then they signed Dennard who may or may not play this year. Signed Eifert who is always injured. Then, Wynn, Webb, and guys like that. No quality upgrade at LB.

-Coaching we hired our 6th DC. We hired Turner who no other NFL Team would hire.

-Inexperience OC.

I struggle to call any of those moves good.
Reply/Quote
He had so much experience that they just give him the reign of everything? Why not? Experience doesn’t matter in the NFL, especially to powerhouse organizations.
Reply/Quote