Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doc: 'The Cincinnati Bengals belong to you, the fans'
(12-29-2018, 06:16 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Sorry.

I meant what were the differences between Mike and Paul?

You argued that Mike ran the organization differently from Paul, so it's possible that Katie will run things differently from Mike.

What were the differences?

Actually, Mike does run the show like Paul did.  Problem is, Paul's way stopped working 30 years ago.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 09:49 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Great article. There are plenty of fans that are just fed up. I hate to see others feeling the way I do, but at the same time, it helps knowing I don’t feel it alone. We’ve been to 2 SB’s. How the heck did we end up here. NFL films should do NFL life episode with Bengals fans.

I heard they thought about doing just that but early viewing focus groups determined it was too damn depressing, so they did a 10 hour documentary on WW2 Concentration Camps instead.

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 01:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The only difference between Robert Kraft and Mike Brown is that Kraft is much better at his job than Brown.

Man this comment is downright ridiculous.  I'm a striving basketball player....the only difference between me and Michael Jordan is that he's better at basketball!  
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 01:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Robert Kraft does not give a shit about pleasing his fan base.  He has repeatedly unpset them by trading/releasing fan favorite players because he felt they were getting too old or expensive.

The only difference between Robert Kraft and Mike Brown is that Kraft is much better at his job than Brown.

Bengal fans need to stop acting like Mike Brown's incompetence is actually a personal attack on them.  He doesn't hate Bengal fans.  He is not evil,  mean, or heartless.  He just is not good at his job.

I couldn't disagree more! Fans want a winner on the field this year regardless if last year was a winner or not. Kraft gives them that year after year.

It's not about favorite players, it's about winning. Robert Kraft knows that. Mike Brown doesn't.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 02:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No it doesn't.

"While we have had many good steps along the way, this 50th season reminds me that we have more steps that we want to take. My passion is to bring Cincinnati a much-deserved NFL championship"

Your proof is a letter to season ticket holders that he he most likely didn't write?

I want to see him say he cares about the fans and winning in an interview or presser.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 06:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So, here's the issue with that - he knows that 'his way' has never produced a single playoff win, yet he continues to do things 'his way' regardless...which means not firing coaches, valuing comp picks over free agents, not hiring a real GM, not investing more in the modernization and development of the scouting department, etc, etc, etc. 

He has to be painfully aware that his ways haven't worked. He has to be painfully aware that Marvin isn't a big stage coach. he has to be painfully aware that he is not a competent GM. He has to be painfully aware that they haven't won a playoff game in 28 years.

What has he done about it? Which meaningful changes has he made in a dedicated effort to win? The answer is that he has done next to nothing. He's refused to look for another coach that might give the team a better chance. He's refused to hire a real GM or veteran football person to run things. He's refused to go after a top free agent once in awhile. Basically, he's refused to do anything that would require real effort on his part, or that would signal that he's actually passionate about winning.

I agree with those that say that Mike 'wants to win' or 'would like to win'. It's human nature to prefer winning over losing and even Mike isn't immune to that. The problem is that he's not driven or motivated to do what it takes to make it happen. It's like an obese guy would would prefer to be skinny, but continues to eat Little Debbies and McDonalds all day, every day...instead of actually doing something about it.

Mike may very well wish he could win a playoff game, but sitting in his office and daydreaming about it won't make it happen. 

I disagree. While Mike may 'want' to win...I don't think he truly 'cares' about it, or at least not in the same way most owners do. If he truly cared, he would at least attempt to change things up, including his own approach. I mean, does he care enough about winning to hire a real GM, or to fire Marvin, or to sign a couple upper tier FA's?

We now have 28 years of evidence to evaluate how much Mike 'cares about winning'. The evidence isn't looking good brother. 

Great post!!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 05:51 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: The Bengals are what happens when  someone with a enormous ego and vendetta garner a bunch of financial capital, and what happens when said ego and capital carry over into the next generation.

The saddest thing will be when things carry over into the third generation with Katie. There's no reason to think she'll be any different from Mike. She's been his right hand in running the organization for decades.

What will make Katie worse than Mike is that her keeping the status quo will be overshadowed by the fact that she's the first female owner in the NFL.  Assuming she's just another extension of Mike--and again, I don't see any reason to think otherwise--It will be harder to criticize her because every joke and grievance will be met with accusations of sexism and misogyny.

It'll happen. Book it.

She wouldn't even be close to being the first female owner in the NFL. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 08:15 PM)McC Wrote: Actually, Mike does run the show like Paul did.  Problem is, Paul's way stopped working 30 years ago.  

Well, Paul knew football, Mike doesn’t. Paul made winning a priority, Mike hasn’t. Paul was a winner, Mike is a loser. I could go on Whatever

Their management styles may be similar, but there is no way in hell Paul would have let things be this bad for this long.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 02:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a point many of you are missing.  Over the past few years the Bengals have out performed many teams that have GMs.

I don't think Mike Brown is competent at all, but you can't say he does not care about winning just because he does not hire a GM.  The absolute worst teams in the league all have GMs.

You once stated you were self employed. Do you run a PR company that is employed by the Bengals. Whenever someone else shares his thoughts you pounce with the same attitude. Don't you know that all your "Mike cares for the Bengals success more than he cares for the fans money"responses have been disproved year in and year out for the last 26 years? I suspect you would like all disgruntled fans to just bend over and like that he year in and year out builds his team not to maximize wins but to maximize profits.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 01:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Robert Kraft does not give a shit about pleasing his fan base.  He has repeatedly unpset them by trading/releasing fan favorite players because he felt they were getting too old or expensive.

The only difference between Robert Kraft and Mike Brown is that Kraft is much better at his job than Brown.

Bengal fans need to stop acting like Mike Brown's incompetence is actually a personal attack on them.  He doesn't hate Bengal fans.  He is not evil,  mean, or heartless.  He just is not good at his job.

Kraft doesn't care about the fan base? His way has yielded the Pats five championships in 18 years. All the while Mike Brown way has not given us one single playoff victory in 26. Name one player who went on to great success after leaving the Pats? I'd say you can find similarities between a gold mine and a mud puddle. We don't think his way is a attack on us personally but definitely an attack on our wallets. To be fair the Bengals owner doesn't have the luxury of owning a successful corporation to rely on but with the money he has bled out of Cincy he should have invested and be a multimillionaire by now.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 10:47 AM)McC Wrote: The overwhelming evidence screams like hell he does.

IF he cared about winning, he would admit how wrong his way is.

IF he cared about winning, he would replace himself and all his little family minions.

IF he cared about winning, he would have a GM with qualifications beyond being born.

IF he cared about winning, he would  replace his current HC tomorrow.

Don't even try that he cares about winning bullshit because the entire world knows that is just not true.

He has to care about winning, but he doesn’t care about winning it all. That’s a clear distinction we have to make I think.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:12 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: She wouldn't even be close to being the first female owner in the NFL. 

There are or were others?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/19/nfl-female-owners-influence-martha-firestone-ford-kim-pegula

Well shit. I seemed to have been mistaken.
Reply/Quote
He cares about winning, so long as it's his way.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 12:39 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: He has to care about winning, but he doesn’t care about winning it all. That’s a clear distinction we have to make I think.

I think an even clearer distinction is he likes to win, every human does. But it's not his passion. $$$$$$ is !
Reply/Quote
While this is a good article and great idea, it couldn't be more wrong. Until the lease with Mike Brown is up, there's nothing the fans can do.

As for Mike crying poor, I'll be honest and admit that I do not know all of the financial situations that the Bengals have. I do know that the 2017 salary cap was $167m. The 2017 revenue sharing payout to each team was $255m. So after deducting the cap from revenue sharing, that left $88m. Again, I do not know everything that Mike Brown has to pay (besides his 7 figure GM salary), but I don't believe it cost him $88m to run the Bengals last season. This also does not include other revenue that the Bengals keep and don't share. The Bengals ARE profitable for the Family and they make millions each year no matter how the team performs.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I get tired of the whole "this is the Family's only source of revenue". They're making money. They're absolutely making money. If the Family wasn't pocketing millions each year, they would've already sued to relocate or they might have considered selling. The one thing the Family is champions at is not losing money.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2018, 06:12 PM)N_B Wrote: Not sure we know enough about Katie to say

Years ago, I worked with someone who knew Katie and played soccer with her. Said she’s ultra competitive and hates to lose. I also worked with someone who was in a box at PBS next to the owner’s box. He said Mike Brown’s expression didn’t change, regardless of what was going on on the field. With Katie, you could clearly tell what was going on. If the team was playing bad, she was mad and yelling like most fans.

I’m hoping she uses that competitiveness to make big changes when she takes over, after years of seeing Daddy’s way just doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 03:34 PM)bjf123 Wrote: Years ago, I worked with someone who knew Katie and played soccer with her. Said she’s ultra competitive and hates to lose. I also worked with someone who was in a box at PBS next to the owner’s box. He said Mike Brown’s expression didn’t change, regardless of what was going on on the field. With Katie, you could clearly tell what was going on. If the team was playing bad, she was mad and yelling like most fans.

I’m hoping she uses that competitiveness to make big changes when she takes over, after years of seeing Daddy’s way just doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting. Makes me more hopeful
Reply/Quote
"I will say in 31 years here, I’ve never seen a fan base more poised to jump ship."

Looks like Doc is perceptive. I've never felt closer to jumping ship, and I know many others feel the same.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:38 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well, Paul knew football, Mike doesn’t. Paul made winning a priority, Mike hasn’t. Paul was a winner, Mike is a loser. I could go on Whatever

Their management styles may be similar, but there is no way in hell Paul would have let things be this bad for this long.

It’s borderline ridiculous to suggest Mike doesn’t know football. He’s spent his entire life around the game.

McC was exactly right though, his way of doing things is just outdated.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 04:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: "I will say in 31 years here, I’ve never seen a fan base more poised to jump ship."

Looks like Doc is perceptive. I've never felt closer to jumping ship, and I know many others feel the same.

Maybe he meant to say that with the Merv extensions the Bengals have jumped the shark.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote