Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Anyone Believe Marvin Lewis can win a SB?
I was wondering if anyone believes that Marvin Lewis will ever win a Super Bowl as a HC.

Past Super Bowls have coaches doing creative, smart, and gutsy play calls to secure the Super Bowl win. Sean Payton's onside kick at the beginning of the half comes to mind. Does anyone see Marvin doing that? I know I haven't seen anything resemble any of those attributes from Marvin.

Those play calls are no where near the only aspect of the game that can win a SB. There are also extensive hours of preparation for both the game and the opponent. The Super Bowl is played at night, on the road (since it will never be at PBS), against a winning team, and on national television. All aspects that Marvin-led teams seem to play really, really bad in.

Tony Dungy's path is very similar and he only won a Super Bowl because he had arguably the best QB of all time leading his team. But more than that. His knock was that he couldn't get his teams deep in the playoffs. They still did well against good teams, in primetime, and on the road during the regular season at least. There are very few times I have felt that the Bengals have ever performed well in primetime against good teams.

The point I am trying to make here is that I cannot see Marvin ever winning a Super Bowl here. The Bengals looked good against the Eagles this past week and they will likely save Marvin's job by winning against Cleveland this week. But I don't see us ever winning a Super Bowl under Marvin. This team and this franchise cannot make it to the promised land when we are outcoached week in and week out.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 03:31 PM)CincyWestside Wrote: I was wondering if anyone believes that Marvin Lewis will ever win a Super Bowl as a HC.

Past Super Bowls have coaches doing creative, smart, and gutsy play calls to secure the Super Bowl win. Sean Payton's onside kick at the beginning of the half comes to mind. Does anyone see Marvin doing that? I know I haven't seen anything resemble any of those attributes from Marvin.

Those play calls are no where near the only aspect of the game that can win a SB. There are also extensive hours of preparation for both the game and the opponent. The Super Bowl is played at night, on the road (since it will never be at PBS), against a winning team, and on national television. All aspects that Marvin-led teams seem to play really, really bad in.

Tony Dungy's path is very similar and he only won a Super Bowl because he had arguably the best QB of all time leading his team. But more than that. His knock was that he couldn't get his teams deep in the playoffs. They still did well against good teams, in primetime, and on the road during the regular season at least. There are very few times I have felt that the Bengals have ever performed well in primetime against good teams.

The point I am trying to make here is that I cannot see Marvin ever winning a Super Bowl here. The Bengals looked good against the Eagles this past week and they will likely save Marvin's job by winning against Cleveland this week. But I don't see us ever winning a Super Bowl under Marvin. This team and this franchise cannot make it to the promised land when we are outcoached week in and week out.

He's yet to prove he can lead a team to a single playoff victory. 
Reply/Quote
He can do it as a DC with a lot of talent available to him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
No, no, a thousand times, no.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Doubtful..

And when you consider the turnover on the coaching staff in recent years, I'd say that it will be a while before our next real opportunity comes about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Absolutely. His 28th season will be magic.
Reply/Quote
No. Hell he needs far above average coordinators to even make the playoffs, let alone win a playoff game. The man has an outdated football mentality which unfortunately is a losers mentality is the modern da NFL.
Reply/Quote
Are you kidding me? He can't even win a freaking Steelers game!
Reply/Quote
Nothing is a certainty. The entire sports world is full of guys who could never win the big game until they did. And sometimes it did not come until later in their carers. That being said there is no evidence that Marvin could win a Super Bowl.

He has beaten most of the best teams in the league head-to-head over the three previous seasons, and if you had asked this question just one year ago there would be quite a few different answers, but he has not shown that he can win the biggest games.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing is a certainty.  The entire sports world is full of guys who could never win the big game until they did.  And sometimes it did not come until later in their carers.  That being said there is no evidence that Marvin could win a Super Bowl.

He has beaten most of the best teams in the league head-to-head over the three previous seasons, and if you had asked this question just one year ago there would be quite a few different answers, but he has not shown that he can win the biggest games.

Yes, but none of them were 0 & 7 in playoff games. None of them have had their teams accused of being an undisciplined mob. None of them have spent their entire career being utterly destroyed by their arch rival, none show the total inability to manage the clock year after year. And finally, none of them have squanderd more talent than Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
I don't believe that he can. I will not say it is impossible, but I don't think he is the guy to get this franchise there. Can he do it somewhere else, some place that is a little more active in free agency, some place that just plain has better luck? Maybe so, but I don't think it will happen in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
Here, no way. In fact I very, very, seriously doubt he ever wins a playoff game in Cincinnati.

I wouldn't say it's impossible if he was the HC of an organisation where winning is the focus. But he'll never be the HC somewhere else.

So no
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 01:39 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Here, no way. In fact I very, very, seriously doubt he ever wins a playoff game in Cincinnati.

I wouldn't say it's impossible if he was the HC of an organisation where winning is the focus. But he'll never be the HC somewhere else.

So no

No way

0-7 in playoffs

Horrible record against Steelers.

Horrible record in prime time games.

As I have stated before- Marvin should have been fired after the playoff game last year. It was the epitome of Marvin Lewis as a game day coach in a big game.

No other team in the NFL would accept this very poor record of performance.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing is a certainty.  The entire sports world is full of guys who could never win the big game until they did.  And sometimes it did not come until later in their carers.  That being said there is no evidence that Marvin could win a Super Bowl.

One year ago we had arguably the best roster in the NFL with the hottest commodity in an OC.

My original point was that I think we are at a crossroads where Marvin has taken this team as far as possible. I think the only way he wins a playoff game is if the talent and other coaching is elite and the ball bounces the right way (luck). But I do not see how his lack of preparedness, clock management, and performance in big time games could ever lead to a SB win.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 07:14 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I don't believe that he can.  I will not say it is impossible, but I don't think he is the guy to get this franchise there.  Can he do it somewhere else, some place that is a little more active in free agency, some place that just plain has better luck?  Maybe so, but I don't think it will happen in Cincinnati.

I disagree. It's not about the talent. The Bengals have done a great job of aquiring talent. Nobody in the history of the NFL has squanderd more talent than Marvin Lewis.  Marvins teams are undisciplined mobs. He routinely make blunders that we could never imagine coaches such a bill Belichick making. He's just not good at this. Plain and simple.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2016, 01:31 PM)Antares Wrote: I disagree. It's not about the talent. The Bengals have done a great job of aquiring talent. Nobody in the history of the NFL has squanderd more talent than Marvin Lewis.

The NFL players that vote for the top 100 players in the league disagree with you.

The media members that pick the All Pro teams disagree with you.

The fans who vote for the Pro Bowl disagree with you.

The only people who agree with you are the Marvin and Andy haters.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2016, 02:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The NFL players that vote for the top 100 players in the league disagree with you.

The media members that pick the All Pro teams disagree with you.

The fans who vote for the Pro Bowl disagree with you.

The only people who agree with you are the Marvin and Andy haters.

Hmmmmmmmm, let's think about this

So you're saying in 14 seasons Marvin has never had any real talent ? What does that say about his talent evaluation/drafting ability ? All of the announcers, analysts, media that have been going on and on about what a great job the Bengals, Marvin, Duke Tobin etc. are doing acquiring talent are wrong ? Interesting 

Hmmmmmmmm, let's see

You go on and on about how every Bengals player is "better than they get credit for". But none of them in your eyes are talented ? Interesting

But you wanna keep Marvin because he can't recognize or get any talent in here and he's had 14 seasons to do it.

Sounds legit
Reply/Quote
No because he refuses to change things when they are not working. He does not have a killer mentality and his gameplans especially for rookies is almost always non-existent, not too mention the horrible use of timeouts and challenges.
Reply/Quote
No.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 06:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hmmmmmmmm, let's think about this

So you're saying in 14 seasons Marvin has never had any real talent ? What does that say about his talent evaluation/drafting ability ? All of the announcers, analysts, media that have been going on and on about what a great job the Bengals, Marvin, Duke Tobin etc. are doing acquiring talent are wrong ? Interesting 

Hmmmmmmmm, let's see

You go on and on about how every Bengals player is "better than they get credit for". But none of them in your eyes are talented ? Interesting

But you wanna keep Marvin because he can't recognize or get any talent in here and he's had 14 seasons to do it.

Sounds legit

I never said they had no talent.  I was just commenting on your extreme comment about "no one in NFL history".

I say the Bengals had top ten talent level, and that is about where the ended each season.  How exactly would you grade their level of talent over the last few years?
Reply/Quote