Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Bridgewater trade effect draft trade prospects
I have said that the best thing for the Bengals would be to trade back to #9.  I felt Denver was the most likely trade partner since they were really looking for a QB.

Today they traded for Teddy Bridgewater from Carolina.

Does that make Carolina more likely to trade up from #8 to get the QB they want?

Lots of people feel we can't drop out of the top 8 in order to get one of Pitts, Chase, or Sewell, but I would have been happy with another 2nd round pick and DeVonta Smith or Slater.  Now if Carolina wants to move up we can still get one of the "big three".

Not saying that Denver sees Bridgewater as their long term answer at QB, but he may be seen as a "bridge" QB while they develop a second round pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Today they traded for Teddy Bridgewater from Carolina.

Does that make Carolina more likely to trade up from #8 to get the QB they want?

They probably already have a verbal dance partner for a trade.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don’t think Carolina is looking for an early QB now that they have Darnold. If I was them, I’d be all about protecting him or getting him a weapon. Pretty much in the same spot we’re in.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:38 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I don’t think Carolina is looking for an early QB now that they have Darnold. If I was them, I’d be all about protecting him or getting him a weapon. Pretty much in the same spot we’re in.

Darnold I don’t think impacts their plans yet because they haven’t picked up his 5th year option. There was a report when they first traded for them they planned to but 24 hrs out from the draft and still no option tells me they are still open to the idea of a QB.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have said that the best thing for the Bengals would be to trade back to #9.  I felt Denver was the most likely trade partner since they were really looking for a QB.

Lots of people feel we can't drop out of the top 8 in order to get one of Pitts, Chase, or Sewell, but I would have been happy with another 2nd round pick and DeVonta Smith or Slater.  Now if Carolina wants to move up we can still get one of the "big three".

Not saying that Denver sees Bridgewater as their long term answer at QB, but he may be seen as a "bridge" QB while they develop a second round pick.

It seems pretty evident that the Panthers made their QB move, when they traded for Darnold.  Now, with the Broncos trading for Bridgewater, I think that takes Denver out of the potential "trade up" equation, just like Carolina.

If either of those two teams ever had ambitions of trading up to 5 with the Bengals, I'm pretty sure those ships have sailed by now.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have said that the best thing for the Bengals would be to trade back to #9.  I felt Denver was the most likely trade partner since they were really looking for a QB.

It's hard to tell what these teams think of their QB situation.  Carolina thought enough to trade future picks for Darnold, who knows if they'll deal more and pick up his option as well.  I think we assume Denver would give up their 2nd and 3rd (or 4th) but maybe they'd justify it if they get a future 2nd for Lock.  

My guess is NE is the bigger opportunity.  If neither team mentioned gets the right QB to fall to them, watch them take a desperate package from the Pats to get a remaining QB.  Then Cincy has the trade offer you mention, just a different team. My guess is Fields at 5. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:52 PM)phil413 Wrote: It's hard to tell what these teams think of their QB situation.  Carolina thought enough to trade future picks for Darnold, who knows if they'll deal more and pick up his option as well.  I think we assume Denver would give up their 2nd and 3rd (or 4th) but maybe they'd justify it if they get a future 2nd for Lock.  

My guess is NE is the bigger opportunity.  If neither team mentioned gets the right QB to fall to them, watch them take a desperate package from the Pats to get a remaining QB.  Then Cincy has the trade offer you mention, just a different team. My guess is Fields at 5. 

Trading back to 15 for Belichick, and the Pat's, who always seem to come out on the sweet end of deals?  No, thank you.  Mellow

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Question 

If the NFL is still using Jimmy J’s trade chart the deal would be the Bengals send their 1st and third to Carolina for their first and second and fifth.

So basically the Bengals net three ought to start in 2021 guys instead of two. There might be little difference between the big three and Smith and Slater. It’s a trade that could work.
Reply/Quote
I dont think Darnold or Bridgewater effects if either team takes a Quarterback to sit a year but I do believe it really kills any chance a team trades up to 5.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 09:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Trading back to 15 for Belichick, and the Pat's, who always seem to come out on the sweet end of deals?  No, thank you.  Mellow

Love ya Sunset but keep going past the bold.  Either team meant Denver or Carolina (I should have spelled that out though) let NE come up. Cincy doesn't fall past 8 or 9, not 15 for sure.  Fields to NE gives me the draft day Tums moment in had with the Ravens landing Jackson, but that's irrelevant to us.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 09:44 PM)phil413 Wrote: Love ya Sunset but keep going past the bold.  Either team meant Denver or Carolina (I should have spelled that out though) let NE come up. Cincy doesn't fall past 8 or 9, not 15 for sure.  Fields to NE gives me the draft day Tums moment in had with the Ravens landing Jackson, but that's irrelevant to us.  

Denver and Carolina have already made their moves.  What do they have left to trade that would be attractive to the Bengals?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 09:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Denver and Carolina have already made their moves.  What do they have left to trade that would be attractive to the Bengals?

Denver or Carolina's draft slot combine with the picks New England trades make a trade down to 8 or 9...not 15.  Cincy ends up with Slater or the 9th best prospect in a worst case scenario.  

Cincinnati gets pick 8 and a 2nd, 3rd and 4th this year.  
Carolina gets NE 2021 1st, pick 15
NE gets pick 5

What's attractive to Cincy is you get either Sewell or Slater and a slew of picks. Even if Chase is your guy at 5, is that better than Sewell/Slater, 2nd, 3rd and 4th? If so, that's worth making the trade.
Reply/Quote
Denver was my hope too. Now we need the Lions to not be sold on Goff. I think they give him at least a year before looking for a top replacement. Or we are looking at the Pats, Redskins, and Bears makings mega offers to jump up.

Redskins give up Scherff their first rounder this year and next and I am doing it.
Reply/Quote
The trade definitely means that some of the "top" candidates to trade up will be comfortable to sit at their spots and "let the board come to them" as Hobs would say. It basically leaves teams further down in the first round as the only trade candidates and Duke has mentioned that he doesn't want to drop that far down.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 01:36 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The trade definitely means that some of the "top" candidates to trade up will be comfortable to sit at their spots and "let the board come to them" as Hobs would say. It basically leaves teams further down in the first round as the only trade candidates and Duke has mentioned that he doesn't want to drop that far down.

That's the upside of some of this settling now.  Miami already traded down and used Philly as a 3rd team to stop at 6 instead of 12 (SF's pick).  Those teams mentioned above have plenty of time to find a team in the 7-10 range depending on how many top candidates the Bengals have on their board.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It seems pretty evident that the Panthers made their QB move, when they traded for Darnold.  Now, with the Broncos trading for Bridgewater, I think that takes Denver out of the potential "trade up" equation, just like Carolina.

If either of those two teams ever had ambitions of trading up to 5 with the Bengals, I'm pretty sure those ships have sailed by now.

I wouldn't rule out Denver at all.  The key piece of the puzzle is Atlanta.  No one thinks they will take a QB (at least most don't) but someone could surely offer them a trade to get that spot and take a QB, like Lance or Fields if he drops (which STILL puzzles me).  

I don't see the Bengals accepting any trade offers.  They are going to stay put.  

Detroit could absolutely be in the QB market for one of those two, and I don't see Carolina sitting on Darnold.  He is basically getting a one-year tryout.  Denver surely would be interested.  If Miami trades out of #6 and accumulates even MORE picks, watch out for that team.  Someone, in my estimation, would have to leap Detroit to be sure they get whatever QB is left after Atlanta picks (unless they trade out).  
Reply/Quote
QB class next year is weak. I think teams that need a QB will "reach" for one this year. I always liked Mond but he will be going higher than he should probably the 3rd round.

New England may be the team that trades up or they will miss out this year and next. Panthers could extend Donald if he looks good this year. If Lance is still available, Denver may be tempted. Keep an eye on Trask.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Two of the teams behind the Bengals who were thought to have likely trade up for QBs (CAR, DEN), now have new QBs in Sam Darnold and Teddy Bridgewater.
I don't think it removes either team from taking QB, but it probably reduces the chance they feel they "need" to trade up for one now.
The team I see most likely to trade up now is New England.
Not sure the fans want to see the Bengals move back 10 spots though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This is silly no it doesn't effect the draft at all. Know way the Broncos think they landed a franchise QB in Bridgewater.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote