Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Burfict suspension change draft
We talk a lot on here about fixing the run offense, but very little talk about improving the 31st ranked run defense. You have to be able to stop the run, especially in AFC North football. I would have felt pretty good about it with the signing of Preston Brown, but now Burfict is looking at missing a quarter of the season (assuming he does nothing else to miss more time). Does it create more urgency to draft the best available LB or D-Lineman at No. 21? I've said I would love Vita Vea to fall to the 21 spot and the Bengals to grab him. Instant upgrade in the run defense with he and Geno anchoring the D-line.
Reply/Quote
I hope it does give me Lorenzo Carter 2nd round or Vander esch
Reply/Quote
I think our LB group was ripe for upgrading anyway. Mediocre talent at best except for Burfict, and we all know his issues. So no, the FO should have been looking at LBs regardless of Burfict.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I was hoping we'd get a LB early anyway.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Honestly, I don’t think it does. Suspension is 4 games, possibly less if appeal goes through. Brown will be the starting MIKE. Rey, Evans, and Vigil are all best fits at WILL. One of them can fill in there for 4 games next to Brown while Burfict is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 12:49 PM)McC Wrote: I was hoping we'd get a LB early anyway.

As are most, and I think that will still happen.

But it doesn't change the draft in any way, as I think the plan has been to spend an early pick on LB all along.
Reply/Quote
The more I think about it, the more I think the Bengals should concentrate on finding players in the draft geared to stop the run. Outside of finding a Center of course.
Reply/Quote
I think it does. We saw how poor our linebacking corp was once Burfict was hurt and out.

We needed an upgrade anyway. Sure, we swapped Minter for Brown, but we may not have Burfict for awhile. And Vigil has been underwhelming.

I thought they would go for one in the first three rounds, now it wouldn't surprise me if they drafted one in the 1st.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
In my opinion, best LB or Vea in first round. Center in round 2. OT with first pick in round 3, best safety on the board with other 3rd rounder. If the first 3 rounds play out like this I will be happy.
Reply/Quote
I have recently been coming around on Rashaan Evans. I was over looking him. Meh just another first round projected Bama LB.

Then i started watching. And boy howdy was i impressed. Figuring we were done in free agency i was starting to love the idea of him at 21. Then we signed preston and for 15 minutes i started thinking we go another route. Then the suspension. Right back on the Rashaan bandwagon for me
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 02:44 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I have recently been coming around on Rashaan Evans. I was over looking him. Meh just another first round projected Bama LB.

Then i started watching. And boy howdy was i impressed. Figuring we were done in free agency i was starting to love the idea of him at 21. Then we signed preston and for 15 minutes i started thinking we go another route. Then the suspension. Right back on the Rashaan bandwagon for me

From what I've seen, I don't think you're alone on the Evans bandwagon.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I like what I see of Evans. I'll always be a fan of the stocky, big build linebackers. He's taller, more range and better in space. Looks like he lacks instinct but Brown/Burfict have great instinct. Having a talented freak like that, would make a big difference.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 12:20 PM)Fullrock Wrote: We talk a lot on here about fixing the run offense, but very little talk about improving the 31st ranked run defense. You have to be able to stop the run, especially in AFC North football. I would have felt pretty good about it with the signing of Preston Brown, but now Burfict is looking at missing a quarter of the season (assuming he does nothing else to miss more time). Does it create more urgency to draft the best available LB or D-Lineman at No. 21? I've said I would love Vita Vea to fall to the 21 spot and the Bengals to grab him. Instant upgrade in the run defense with he and Geno anchoring the D-line.

I don't know if it changed the Draft but it sure made LB stand out even more. We all were wanting another LB anyways
cause we knew something like this would happen. If a really good one like Roquan Smith falls to 21 take him and take
either Price or Ragnow at 46. If not, grab the Center at 21 and go with the best available one at 46 whether it is Vander
Esche or Rashaan Evans.
Reply/Quote
Even with getting Brown and whether Burfict was suspended or not LBer is probably our biggest need after Center. After Burfict last season the rest of our LBers were pretty underwhelming.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 04:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Even with getting Brown and whether Burfict was suspended or not LBer is probably our biggest need after Center. After Burfict last season the rest of our LBers were pretty underwhelming.

Exactly. Need more quality at the position. Plus, you simply can't depend on Burfict going forward. This will be the fourth straight year he is not active for the beginning of the season. Another PED suspension gets him 10 games, and another on-field conduct violation probably gets him 4-5 games, if not more. 

At some point, you have to plan for a future without Burfict. Can't keep relying on the unreliable.   
Reply/Quote
Not really.
I think our top priorities going into the draft are:

1. Center
Obviously, as the only one on the roster is TJ Johnson, unless they think Westerman can take over.

2. Offensive Guard
They only have Boling, Redmonds, Hopkins and Westerman. That's 1 starter and 3 backups unless they believe in Westerman or Redmond taking the next step. Hopkins showed he wasn't all that great last season. Plus, Boling is the best LT we had last season, so he may need to slide out, leaving OG even thinner.

3. Outside Linebacker
The starters, Vigil and Burfict, are both iffy in regards to either their availability(Burfict) or their...goodness (Vigil) and their only back ups, Evans and Rey, have their own set of concerns.

4. Offensive Tackle
Glenn is coming off of an injury, so you never know. Fisher is....acceptable at RT, but we could probably get an upgrade. Plus, he's coming off of an injury of his own. This would be #1 or #2, but Boling showed he is more than capable of stepping in at tackle, so that pushed OG up and OT down a bit for me. Especially since there aren't a lot of high quality tackles in this draft

5. Defensive End
Only 4 currently on the roster, one of which is Michael Johnson and may be cut. Dunlap's contract is expiring, so maybe only Lawson and Willis remain after this season.

6. Inside Linebacker
Preston Brown is rock solid, though unspectacular, at MLB. He is a signal caller who is durable and reliable. That said, he's only on a 1 year contract and his back up, Rey, is dubious in terms of age and talent. Prior to the Brown signing, this was priority #2 in my book.

Burfict not being around for 4 games doesn't make our Offensive Line suddenly not a terrifying prospect in its own right.

We basically have to draft for need, assuming some modicum of value is there. We need an OG to compete for RG or take over LG if Boling has to play LT (If Glenn is injured) or RT (If Fisher is Fisher). We need a new starting Center because we currently don't have one on the roster, unless you count Johnson (I can barely count him). We need a Right Tackle prospect in case Fisher flops once again, either due to health or talent. So at least 2 of our first 3 picks should be offensive line.

Then we can start to worry about possibly finding an eventual starter at one of the LB positions. And, after that, we can add depth at defensive end.

The good news is I think we're good at WR, RB, TE, QB, DT, safety and CB.

So it's basically just fixing the lines and fixing LB depth as well as adding any potential value at any position later in the draft (depending on who falls).

My ideal order would be (assuming value at these points in the draft):
1. Center
2. LB
3. OG
3b. OT
4. DE
5. DT

We can do this! Big Grin
Reply/Quote
I’m not sure it changes anything because hopefully the team was targeting a LB in the first 4 picks anyways. I’m still pretty intrigued by Evans, who got plenty of rookies lumps at the end of last season. I expect him to be much improved as far as knowing the playbook and preparing for an opponent.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 02:15 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I think it does. We saw how poor our linebacking corp was once Burfict was hurt and out.

We needed an upgrade anyway. Sure, we swapped Minter for Brown, but we may not have Burfict for awhile. And Vigil has been underwhelming.

I thought they would go for one in the first three rounds, now it wouldn't surprise me if they drafted one in the 1st.

Jim Owczarski Wrote:What I can tell you is this – if the team picks a linebacker, look in rounds 4-5.
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Ask-Jim-Owczarski?page=36
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Did anyone actually think Burfict would have made it all 16 game season without missing a few games from him hurting himself?
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 12:20 PM)Fullrock Wrote: We talk a lot on here about fixing the run offense, but very little talk about improving the 31st ranked run defense. You have to be able to stop the run, especially in AFC North football. I would have felt pretty good about it with the signing of Preston Brown, but now Burfict is looking at missing a quarter of the season (assuming he does nothing else to miss more time). Does it create more urgency to draft the best available LB or D-Lineman at No. 21? I've said I would love Vita Vea to fall to the 21 spot and the Bengals to grab him. Instant upgrade in the run defense with he and Geno anchoring the D-line.

I believe we were thinking LB early already and I bet that hasn't changed. We'll have to see how the draft unfolds. We need a C and a RT as well. Andre was our best OT last year and he's not coming back to provide insurance at RT. Fisher and Og have proven they cannot hold down the position.

Reply/Quote