Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Burfict suspension change draft
(03-19-2018, 02:17 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Did anyone actually think Burfict would have made it all 16 game season without missing a few games from him hurting himself?

Agreed. I mean it isn't news that while talented, he's a bit of head case (and yes he's also being targeted by officials) who does stuff that hurts himself. We already were looking for more help at LB as we should be. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 12:20 PM)Fullrock Wrote: We talk a lot on here about fixing the run offense, but very little talk about improving the 31st ranked run defense. You have to be able to stop the run, especially in AFC North football. I would have felt pretty good about it with the signing of Preston Brown, but now Burfict is looking at missing a quarter of the season (assuming he does nothing else to miss more time). Does it create more urgency to draft the best available LB or D-Lineman at No. 21? I've said I would love Vita Vea to fall to the 21 spot and the Bengals to grab him. Instant upgrade in the run defense with he and Geno anchoring the D-line.

The Bengals were trying to trade Burfict to the Raiders on Friday Match 16th.  Then came him caught using performance enhancing drugs and 4 game suspension. The Bengals were prepared for more Burfict suspensions in his contract. Ian Rapoport : " If Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict loses his appeal of a 4 game suspension, the guarantees in his 3 year, $33M contract will void. That's nearly 11.3 M. Which means Cincy can move on if they want to ".   So when you combine the Bengals trying to trade Burfict and now this, plus Bengals needing to dump some payroll, Burfict may not even be on this team this season.  News is Bengals have had about enough of Burfict and his suspensions every year and just want to go in another direction. Had the Raiders trade went through, he would already be gone.

I don't think it changes the draft, since Bengals tried to trade him to Raiders Friday.  Bengals seem to have a plan. The news is with Bengals needing to dump some payroll, they will be letting Bodine and Pacman go to other teams in free agency. Bengals are looking at center with pick 21 in round 1 to replace Bodine.  I do think LB in the draft will not be far behind. 

New D Coordinator Austin has a track record of being part of Super Bowl defenses in Seattle, Arizona and Baltimore. He has coached under Joe Paterno, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh and other winning coaches.  In 3 other cities he was part of Super Bowl Defenses, and hopefully Cincinnati will be his 4th Super Bowl Defense city.  Much like LeBeau, his specialty is DB's and we have all the #1 picks that need some top coaching. He is just the guy to get the most out of Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jackson and our safeties. I think he will be adding a safety in F/A or Draft.  Of course better blocking would help our D.  Having the worst O Line in NFL caused many 3 and outs and kept our D on the field way too much. The best athlete ever suffers from fatigue said HOF RB Jimmy Brown. If you want to help the D, we need to improve the blocking so we can eat more clock on offense.   It looks like the Bengals plan is Center In One, but you may get that LB in Two. Probably a safety not far behind.  Baltimore had Reed back there. This Austin will want top CB and DB play and like Lebeau, he will get it because everywhere Austin goes he improves secondaries and defenses.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 03:21 PM)kevin Wrote: The Bengals were trying to trade Burfict to the Raiders on Friday Match 16th.  Then came him caught using performance enhancing drugs and 4 game suspension. The Bengals were prepared for more Burfict suspensions in his contract. Ian Rapoport : " If Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict loses his appeal of a 4 game suspension, the guarantees in his 3 year, $33M contract will void. That's nearly 11.3 M. Which means Cincy can move on if they want to ".   So when you combine the Bengals trying to trade Burfict and now this, plus Bengals needing to dump some payroll, Burfict may not even be on this team this season.  News is Bengals have had about enough of Burfict and his suspensions every year and just want to go in another direction. Had the Raiders trade went through, he would already be gone.

I don't think it changes the draft, since Bengals tried to trade him to Raiders Friday.  Bengals seem to have a plan. The news is with Bengals needing to dump some payroll, they will be letting Bodine and Pacman go to other teams in free agency. Bengals are looking at center with pick 21 in round 1 to replace Bodine.  I do think LB in the draft will not be far behind. 

New D Coordinator Austin has a track record of being part of Super Bowl defenses in Seattle, Arizona and Baltimore. He has coached under Joe Paterno, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh and other winning coaches.  In 3 other cities he was part of Super Bowl Defenses, and hopefully Cincinnati will be his 4th Super Bowl Defense city.  Much like LeBeau, his specialty is DB's and we have all the #1 picks that need some top coaching. He is just the guy to get the most out of Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jackson and our safeties. I think he will be adding a safety in F/A or Draft.  Of course better blocking would help our D.  Having the worst O Line in NFL caused many 3 and outs and kept our D on the field way too much. The best athlete ever suffers from fatigue said HOF RB Jimmy Brown. If you want to help the D, we need to improve the blocking so we can eat more clock on offense.   It looks like the Bengals plan is Center In One, but you may get that LB in Two. Probably a safety not far behind.  Baltimore had Reed back there. This Austin will want top CB and DB play and like Lebeau, he will get it because everywhere Austin goes he improves secondaries and defenses.

Pretty sure there was no truth to the rumors that Burfict was being traded.  The only person who reported it was some guy that nobody knew.

That being said, I don't think it changes anything.  The Bengals place such a low premium on LBs in their scheme.  Maybe they take on in the 3rd or 4th round instead of the 5th or 6th, but I can't see them changing things because of a 4 game suspension.
Reply/Quote
Drafting a linebacker high in this draft is totally on the table. If im the Bengals im looking for a Burfict Exit Strategy. We need to get rid of this dude, he's not worth it anymore.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 04:17 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Pretty sure there was no truth to the rumors that Burfict was being traded.  The only person who reported it was some guy that nobody knew.

That being said, I don't think it changes anything.  The Bengals place such a low premium on LBs in their scheme.  Maybe they take on in the 3rd or 4th round instead of the 5th or 6th, but I can't see them changing things because of a 4 game suspension.

I believe the reports Bengals were talking to Raiders Friday on trading Burfict.  I believe it because they need to dump payroll. I also believe it because there have been other stories of Bengals having Burfict on the trade block.  I also believe the stories Bengals are sick and tired of all the games Burfict has been missing last few years due to suspensions.  Bengals even have a Burfict contract suspension clause that if this new suspension stands, a lot of his contract is void.  11 million of his contract is void.  I could see Bengals not wanting yet another Burfict suspension season. This LB Bengals got from Buffalo has been starting 16 games a season. Bengals need to cut payroll for his contract.  You have this new guy that plays and Burfict who misses half the games lately and will miss games in 2018.  I can understand it if Bengals have had enough of Burfict missing all these games and just unload him.  They are dumping payroll after these signings, and Burfict suspended again is more reason to move him. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 04:48 PM)kevin Wrote: I believe the reports Bengals were talking to Raiders Friday on trading Burfict.  I believe it because they need to dump payroll. I also believe it because there have been other stories of Bengals having Burfict on the trade block.  I also believe the stories Bengals are sick and tired of all the games Burfict has been missing last few years due to suspensions.  Bengals even have a Burfict contract suspension clause that if this new suspension stands, a lot of his contract is void.  11 million of his contract is void.  I could see Bengals not wanting yet another Burfict suspension season. This LB Bengals got from Buffalo has been starting 16 games a season. Bengals need to cut payroll for his contract.  You have this new guy that plays and Burfict who misses half the games lately and will miss games in 2018.  I can understand it if Bengals have had enough of Burfict missing all these games and just unload him.  They are dumping payroll after these signings, and Burfict suspended again is more reason to move him. 

You believe the reports that have been repeatedly denied by both teams?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I don't think so. They need a LB, but this team doesn't value LBs that high. I don't think they pick one before the third round, IMO.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 01:10 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I don't think so. They need a LB, but this team doesn't value LBs that high. I don't think they pick one before the third round, IMO.

Assuming LB will not be targeted before round 3,

What would you consider the Top 3 positions they would potentially target in the 1st and 2nd round in this upcoming draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 01:10 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I don't think so. They need a LB, but this team doesn't value LBs that high. I don't think they pick one before the third round, IMO.

Unless a stunning talent falls at the LB position, ^ I am in agreement. Plus, they like vigil and Evans a lot.
Reply/Quote

I bet the Steelers love the fact that the bengals don't "value" the linebacker position. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 02:44 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I have recently been coming around on Rashaan Evans. I was over looking him. Meh just another first round projected Bama LB.

Then i started watching. And boy howdy was i impressed. Figuring we were done in free agency i was starting to love the idea of him at 21. Then we signed preston and for 15 minutes i started thinking we go another route. Then the suspension. Right back on the Rashaan bandwagon for me

I know, right?

The guy takes great angles, appears to always be around the ball, seems to have a high football IQ, hits like a tank and reports are that he continues to grow as a player.   I love this guy.

I doubt we take him.   The need at offensive linemen is too big, especially after losing Bodine.

And I'd love to have a really good center, a bookend tackle for Glenn or a stud defensive lineman.  

But I will be very excited if we take Evans.  Combine that with the Brown and Baker signings and maybe another defensive lineman in the draft and I will be much happier about our prospect to stop the run this year.   And the guy is pretty nifty in coverage as well.   He's solve a lot of problems in the middle.
Reply/Quote
I still say I hope Vita Vea falls to 21 and they grab him. The best way to help a mediocre LB crew is to keep blockers off them. Geno and Vea on the D-line would do just that.
Reply/Quote