Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Burrow Really Want Ja'Marr Chase?
I know Burrow would love to have Chase to throw to because he'd be an amazing weapon, but do you think Burrow wants him over Sewell or another first round offensive lineman?

Burrow got murdered last year and, yes, it would be nice to have his friend and someone he has chemistry with, but do you think Burrow wants that over protection, especially coming off injury?

It's kind of like the whole ideology of, when you become a man, you buy things you need instead of things you want.
Reply/Quote
Can't imagine Burrow not wanting his friend and college superstar WR not on his team.

Ideally we fix this O-Line issue in FA and grant Burrow wishes in the 1st round.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
https://deathvalleyvoice.com/2021/01/30/lsu-football-joe-burrow-hoping-reunite-former-teammate/

Apparently Joe want's Chase...
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2021, 07:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know Burrow would love to have Chase to throw to because he'd be an amazing weapon, but do you think Burrow wants him over Sewell or another first round offensive lineman?

Burrow got murdered last year and, yes, it would be nice to have his friend and someone he has chemistry with, but do you think Burrow wants that over protection, especially coming off injury?

It's kind of like the whole ideology of, when you become a man, you buy things you need instead of things you want.

If I was Burrow, I'd want the OL addressed in FA with proven quality starters instead of waiting for the draft, hoping Sewell falls to us, and hoping he can beat the odds and become a good starter as a rookie.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When.was the last this franchise signed a premier free agent
Olineman in the era of free agency?
Never.
This is the year this franchise stops doing whats it done for decades
And actually pay preminum $$$ for a guy like Thuney.
They overpay for bums like Preston Brown and Michael Westbrook
In past years and go to the bargain bin route regarding the oline
Jamar Chase would give this offense some real juice that it needs
Plus it would not take these 2 long to get on the same page
Chase and Burrow could be like Ryan Jones/ Manning Harrison
In time
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2021, 09:59 PM)impactplaya Wrote: When.was the last this franchise signed a premier free agent
Never.
In time

Gotta make it past miami first
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2021, 09:17 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Can't imagine Burrow not wanting his friend and college superstar WR not on his team.

Ideally we fix this O-Line issue in FA and grant Burrow wishes in the 1st round.
He'd obviously want his friend and superstar teammate, but, like I said, will he be thinking with his head or his heart?  We need to shore-up the offensive line first and I don't necessarily expect us to make a splash in free agency.  Hopefully, Troy, Katie, and Zac are running things now with no interference from the old man and will be all over free agents once the league year begins on March 17th and stay active up until the draft filing improving our roster, with the main focus being the offensive line, but I'm not holding my crippled breath.

In his later years, Mike Brown always seemed like he'd make one or two big free agent signings like that would cure everything because it would keep the fanbase excited, but hopefully we can sign guys to help us build a foundation.  I don't know how the line will look, but I'm hoping that we sign a few players that are above average so we have some depth and not just overpay one big superstar.  In that same aspect, though, a Mike Brown move would also be to sign guys that are below average but can barely hold it together and just hope that they can at least be serviceable, which never seems to be the case.  

I guess I'm saying that I'd rather have a foundation than one or two big names.  

If we can get both, then I'm obviously happy.
(01-30-2021, 09:35 PM)Tony Wrote: https://deathvalleyvoice.com/2021/01/30/lsu-football-joe-burrow-hoping-reunite-former-teammate/

Apparently Joe want's Chase...
He's obviously going to say that but is he thinking with his heart or his mind?  Or is he just saying that so he doesn't upset his friend?

Does Chase even want to come here?  Will the million or so dollars difference from the 5th pick to there 6th or 7th where he'd likely go?  Might be less than a million difference if the salary cap really is going down.
(01-30-2021, 09:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: If I was Burrow, I'd want the OL addressed in FA with proven quality starters instead of waiting for the draft, hoping Sewell falls to us, and hoping he can beat the odds and become a good starter as a rookie.  
He'd obviously want that but do you think he hasn't seen how inactive this team had traditionally been in free agency, especially on the offensive line?
(01-30-2021, 09:59 PM)impactplaya Wrote: When.was the last this franchise signed a premier free agent
Never.
In time

In a perfect world, that would happen, but I've been following this team all my life, so I know better than to get my hopes up while Mike Brown still has air in his lungs.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2021, 09:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: If I was Burrow, I'd want the OL addressed in FA with proven quality starters instead of waiting for the draft, hoping Sewell falls to us, and hoping he can beat the odds and become a good starter as a rookie.  

This...

Let's address the line in FA, and free up our number 1 pick to go BPA. When you have a thin and suspect roster like the Bengals, you need all the help you can get. If it's still Sewell, it's still Sewell... But it'd be nice to have options. It seems to me like drafting for need is a great way to keep your roster thin with little depth.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2021, 09:17 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Can't imagine Burrow not wanting his friend and college superstar WR not on his team.

^This

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think Burrow would love to have Chase, but would also love to have Sewell. Either way, we will have some nice options when we pick both O and D. We have to protect Burrow better for sure and I hope we hit FA hard on that to open up the draft. We had a good FA last season and we should have a few bucks to work with this year with AJ and Geno gone.

But can you imagine Chase, Tee and Boyd? Insane, and with an improved run game on top of it we could have potential to have a really explosive offense.
Reply/Quote
Yes I think he would rather have Chase than a LT.

I don't think that's really the question you should be asking though.

The question should be...
Does it matter that Burrow wants Chase over Sewell? How much say should your Star player have in running the franchise.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2021, 11:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He'd obviously want his friend and superstar teammate, but, like I said, will he be thinking with his head or his heart?  We need to shore-up the offensive line first and I don't necessarily expect us to make a splash in free agency.  Hopefully, Troy, Katie, and Zac are running things now with no interference from the old man and will be all over free agents once the league year begins on March 17th and stay active up until the draft filing improving our roster, with the main focus being the offensive line, but I'm not holding my crippled breath.

In his later years, Mike Brown always seemed like he'd make one or two big free agent signings like that would cure everything because it would keep the fanbase excited, but hopefully we can sign guys to help us build a foundation.  I don't know how the line will look, but I'm hoping that we sign a few players that are above average so we have some depth and not just overpay one big superstar.  In that same aspect, though, a Mike Brown move would also be to sign guys that are below average but can barely hold it together and just hope that they can at least be serviceable, which never seems to be the case.  

I guess I'm saying that I'd rather have a foundation than one or two big names.  

If we can get both, then I'm obviously happy.
He's obviously going to say that but is he thinking with his heart or his mind?  Or is he just saying that so he doesn't upset his friend?

Does Chase even want to come here?  Will the million or so dollars difference from the 5th pick to there 6th or 7th where he'd likely go?  Might be less than a million difference if the salary cap really is going down.
He'd obviously want that but do you think he hasn't seen how inactive this team had traditionally been in free agency, especially on the offensive line?

In a perfect world, that would happen, but I've been following this team all my life, so I know better than to get my hopes up while Mike Brown still has air in his lungs.

I think the issue is that you think an OT at #5 is going to be an immediate upgrade.  That isn't likely to happen, even if Sewell makes it to 5.  I've done research on it and posted the numbers before, but at least from a PFF grade standpoint, you're extremely lucky to get a rookie 1st round T that grades close to where Bobby Hart did last year.  That's the statistical reality.  The development curve for OL is so steep today that you can't just throw a few draft picks at it and fix it.  

That's not to say I wouldn't take Sewell at 5, but if I did, it would be for down the road and not next season.  I would not be counting on him to come up and be a major upgrade to fix the OL, because that isn't realistic.  
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 03:11 AM)Whatever Wrote: I think the issue is that you think an OT at #5 is going to be an immediate upgrade.  That isn't likely to happen, even if Sewell makes it to 5.  I've done research on it and posted the numbers before, but at least from a PFF grade standpoint, you're extremely lucky to get a rookie 1st round T that grades close to where Bobby Hart did last year.  That's the statistical reality.  The development curve for OL is so steep today that you can't just throw a few draft picks at it and fix it.  

That's not to say I wouldn't take Sewell at 5, but if I did, it would be for down the road and not next season.  I would not be counting on him to come up and be a major upgrade to fix the OL, because that isn't realistic.  

Yeah.  I guess I'm hoping that Pollack can either work miracles with him or provide him with the help (slide blockers over, have the TE chip, have Mixon help, etc.) that he needs to keep Burrow safe.

If we can sign a vet, I'd be all for taking Chase, and maybe our line will be improved, but I just feel like thinking "this is good enough," has doomed us too many times and I'd like for us to actually invest in the line for once.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2021, 07:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know Burrow would love to have Chase to throw to because he'd be an amazing weapon, but do you think Burrow wants him over Sewell or another first round offensive lineman?

Did he say he didn't want Sewell? 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 11:47 AM)Okeana Wrote: Did he say he didn't want Sewell? 

If he did, I probably wouldn't have needed to ask the question.

Hmm
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 03:31 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah.  I guess I'm hoping that Pollack can either work miracles with him or provide him with the help (slide blockers over, have the TE chip, have Mixon help, etc.) that he needs to keep Burrow safe.

If we can sign a vet, I'd be all for taking Chase, and maybe our line will be improved, but I just feel like thinking "this is good enough," has doomed us too many times and I'd like for us to actually invest in the line for once.

I agree that we need to invest in our OL.  IMO, we need 2 quality proven starters in FA.  

My feeling is Sewell has Ogden type potential.  Now whether he hits that potential is another story, but I think it's there.  Given his inexperience and the steep learning curve for OL entering the NFL, we're probably looking at at least 3 years before he starts to reach that potential.  

If I had to pick one guy in this draft that will come in and play at a Pro Bowl level as a rookie, it would be Chase.  He was better than Justin Jefferson at LSU and Jefferson made 2nd team All Pro as a rookie this year. On top of that, we have his college QB and have incorporated plays and concepts from LSU's passing game into ours.  It really doesn't get to look much better than that.

Both guys have All Pro type potential, IMO.  In today's environment, I think an All Pro T has more value than an All Pro WR, provided you can resign them and keep them long term.  However, the WR is going to have a much higher chance of producing immediately and is a safer bet to be a franchise cornerstone type player.
Reply/Quote
I think at this point in his career, Burrow defers to the front office. I think if he was asked about any top prospect; he'd "want it".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
"Does Burrow really want Ja'arr Chase?"

[Image: X8WaQcd.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 05:03 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: "Does Burrow really want Ja'arr Chase?"

[Image: X8WaQcd.gif]

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=16217610]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Never.

In time

And there's a reason for that - they generally draft linemen high.

Look at the last 20 years or so:

LT - Levi Jones, Andrew Whitworth
RT - Willie Anderson, Andre Smith
OG - Eric Steinbach, Kevin Zietler

Granted, they've missed on guys and held on to them too long and it hurt them (especially C with Bodine and Ghicuc) and the recent clunkers at tackle.
Reply/Quote