Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Driskel Allow A McCarron Trade?
One nice preseason performance is an encouraging sign, but FAR from proof that this guy would be capable when the real bullets are flying. If you trade Mc, you do it because you believe in Dalton (I don't, but I'm not on the payroll), and because you got an offer too good to refuse. Not because of what some guy did against camp bodies in a preseason game.
Reply/Quote
Need to see more of Driskell but that was an impressive outing and the dude has a quicker release than AJM and
is a much better athlete. I can completely understand why someone would ask this question. It is no question who
was the better QB in the first Preseason game. Driskell was nearly perfect.
Reply/Quote
If someone offered a 2nd, I'd trade AJ in a heartbeat simply because we are going to be a run first team if Dalton goes down.

One thing I will say about Driskel, he was a 5 star high school recruit, so it's not like he doesn't have exceptional natural talent. It remains to be seen how he transforms that on the field.

Oddly enough, both Trey Hopkins and Westerman were 5 star high schoolers as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 11:24 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If someone offered a 2nd, I'd trade AJ in a heartbeat simply because we are going to be a run first team if Dalton goes down.

One thing I will say about Driskel, he was a 5 star high school recruit, so it's not like he doesn't have exceptional natural talent.  It remains to be seen how he transforms that on the field.

Oddly enough, both Trey Hopkins and Westerman were 5 star high schoolers as well.

Didn't know that Hammer, and all 3 really impressed Friday. Cool stuff. Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 07:52 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: ODriskel showed to be serviceable during a preseason game. He did a ton of play action and dump offs, but stay poised. He improved a lot from last year and deserves a ton of credit for that.

I've always believed that the Bengals should have traded McCarron when they had the chance. The Jaguars offered the Bengals their 2nd round pick this year for McCarron (according to a source) and the Bengals turned it down because they were set in stone on getting a 1st rounder for him.

To help understand why that makes me so mad, the Bengals would have had 3 draft picks in the top 41 picks. Who did the Jaguars take with their 2nd round pick? Cam Robinson.

Could you imagine how much better MANY of us would feel if the Bengals drafted Robinson or even Forrest Lamp (who was taken a few picks after).

McCarron is a backup QB and I understand people like his "leadership ability".....whatever that means. But having a competent line with this kind of offense would have set the Bengals up for HUGE success. A solid line with Green, Ross, Eifert, and Mixon on the field at once? How do you stop that?

I might have had trouble passing on a shot at cam or lamp for ajm.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
All I know is that run he had where he ran the two guys into each other will be one of my favorites forever.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I don't know if Driskel can build a body of work to warrant dealing AJ for anything they wouldn't have taken. Thing is though, they did carry him on the roster all year even when injuries set in. With the depth at WR and DL, a 4th ST RB and no way they go thin at OL...can they carry a 3rd QB this year?

Dalton is the man, period. They may have a big commodity if someone loses their QB soon. If they do see enough in Driskel to take that gamble, lets say it's for a 2nd. That may open the door to send out a 3rd or 4th for a vet tackle in the first 5 weeks if needed.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 11:47 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I might have had trouble passing on a shot at cam or lamp for ajm.  

IDK about Lamp. Dude is not off to a good start. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 06:54 AM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK about Lamp. Dude is not off to a good start. 

Can't say he would have been injured here, or anywhere else though.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 06:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know that basing it off of one preseason game is an overreaction, but hear me out.

Driskel played pretty well, going 8 of 9 for 97 yards and a TD, even if it was against scrubs, which he was playing with scrubs, too.  What really stood out to me was his touchdown run because it at least shows that he has the ability to scramble and run, which we would likely only need our backup QB if Andy gets hurt, which would only happen if the o-line is bad, requiring us to have a QB that can scramble and run.

He had the nice TD pass to Malone, which was a simple throw, but Driskel did lead him and threw a nice pass.  

On top of his run where he juked the defense so bad that two defenders knocked each other over, he also had that nice keeper on the play where he faked to the back going left and ran to the right, which he also didn't slide and dove headfirst, which might be dumb in a game or if he's our starter, but he's playing for a roster spot, so he seems hungry.

We turned down a second rounder (reportedly) for AJ McCarron, but that was before we had seen anything out of Driskel.

Should we trade McCarron?  Will we trade McCarron now that we've seen Driskel in game-action?  Will any teams still want McCarron?

There is nothing wrong with asking about trading McCarron, so don't apologize!  

I believe he will not be traded and they will carry three QBs unless the following happens:  There is a signficant injury a la Ryan Tannehill to a team that is a marginal contender...maybe a Chargers, Colts, Lions, etc...a team not of the AFC North, and that team believes they have a shot but can't afford a high-dollar option.  The Bengals should know by the start of the season, if they don't already, if they have rights to McCarron for one or two more years.  Two years would allow the trading team to have a low-dollar risk for two years, and they could possibly trade him the following year.

Those are a lot of "what ifs", and I put the chance of all those things happening at around 5%.  
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 07:52 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Driskel showed to be serviceable during a preseason game. He did a ton of play action and dump offs, but stay poised. He improved a lot from last year and deserves a ton of credit for that.

I've always believed that the Bengals should have traded McCarron when they had the chance. The Jaguars offered the Bengals their 2nd round pick this year for McCarron (according to a source) and the Bengals turned it down because they were set in stone on getting a 1st rounder for him.

To help understand why that makes me so mad, the Bengals would have had 3 draft picks in the top 41 picks. Who did the Jaguars take with their 2nd round pick? Cam Robinson.

Could you imagine how much better MANY of us would feel if the Bengals drafted Robinson or even Forrest Lamp (who was taken a few picks after).

McCarron is a backup QB and I understand people like his "leadership ability".....whatever that means. But having a competent line with this kind of offense would have set the Bengals up for HUGE success. A solid line with Green, Ross, Eifert, and Mixon on the field at once? How do you stop that?

Exactly, and I feel kind of bad for McCarron and believe he has earned an opportunity to start somewhere.  I think we missed the boat last year with Minnesota and again this year with Miami...
Reply/Quote