Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Hamlin's injury result in equipment changes?
The NFL has focused on improvements to the helmet in response to concerns about concussions/head trauma...
Do you think we see changes/improvements to the chest-plate?

Maybe something to consider?
Reply/Quote
I don't think so. Freak thing. It happens in baseball and they still play. Some players wear chest protectors, but I don't think most of them do.
Reply/Quote
I think they will take a look at them. They don't want a repeat of this

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:45 AM)pally Wrote: I think they will take a look at them. They don't want a repeat of this

If the NFL starts changing stuff because of a freak accident, that would be a real shame

That situation has literally never happened before
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:20 AM)Tomkat Wrote: The NFL has focused on improvements to the helmet in response to concerns about concussions/head trauma...

I think they optional additional padding one can wear...   But affect mobility.

You see some QBs look like they are wearing Flack jackets under the pads.

I think the Biggest Fallout we might See is Players Re-evaluating how much they are willing to Risk on the Field Especially those on the back end
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:51 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I think they optional additional padding one can wear...   But affect mobility.

You see some QBs look like they are wearing Flack jackets under the pads.

I think the Biggest Fallout we might See is Players Re-evaluating how much they are willing to Risk on the Field Especially those on the back end

I recall when flack jackets became pretty much standard issue for QBs.. I don't remember the exact date or game, but I do remember it happening.. They weren't combat ready, but enough to protect most rib and chest injuries. Nothing wrong with players wearing additional equipment, but we'll hear the usual suspects pretending it ruins the game and takes all the fun out of seeing people get seriously injured. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If we start this, we have flag football in 5 years.

It’s just a brutal sport. Not al that different than boxing, nascar, etc.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:34 PM)grampahol Wrote: I recall when flack jackets became pretty much standard issue for QBs.. I don't remember the exact date or game, but I do remember it happening.. They weren't combat ready, but enough to protect most rib and chest injuries. Nothing wrong with players wearing additional equipment, but we'll hear the usual suspects pretending it ruins the game and takes all the fun out of seeing people get seriously injured. 

You shouldn’t enforce a new rule because of a freak accident. It’s ultra rare. Think how long the NFL has been around, and understand this is the first time a NFL player got a heart attack from getting hit
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:34 PM)grampahol Wrote: I recall when flack jackets became pretty much standard issue for QBs.. I don't remember the exact date or game, but I do remember it happening.. They weren't combat ready, but enough to protect most rib and chest injuries. Nothing wrong with players wearing additional equipment, but we'll hear the usual suspects pretending it ruins the game and takes all the fun out of seeing people get seriously injured. 

No, what we would hear is the professional athletes complaining about the restriction of body movement, just like with requiring linemen to wear leg braces, receivers to wear more substantial shoes, etc. These guys are always going to want that last ounce of competitive advantage.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:38 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: You shouldn’t enforce a new rule because of a freak accident. It’s ultra rare. Think how long the NFL has been around, and understand this is the first time a NFL player got a heart attack from getting hit

Not to mention there “could” have been an underlying condition.

It took Ryan Clark playing in Denver to discover he had Sickle Cell. He played the full game, and went into substantial pain on the plane.

I’m not saying Hamlin HAS an underlying condition, but it could be “at least” possible.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:20 AM)Tomkat Wrote: The NFL has focused on improvements to the helmet in response to concerns about concussions/head trauma...

this is much more rare than concussions, im sure they will look at it but doubtful much can do done
Reply/Quote
I doubt it.

I do think it might create a path to more stringent protocol in screening for issues that could increase a player's likelihood of suffering severe injuries from normal play.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:45 PM)samhain Wrote: I doubt it.  

I do think it might create a path to more stringent protocol in screening for issues that could increase a player's likelihood of suffering severe injuries from normal play.

It's been more decades than I'd like to think about since I had football pads on, and I really haven't paid much attention to the new ones, but don't they cover the chest in the front anymore anyway? Seems like I remember them covering the sternum. Of course, back then you had to turn sideways to get through a door.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No, what we would hear is the professional athletes complaining about the restriction of body movement, just like with requiring linemen to wear leg braces, receivers to wear more substantial shoes, etc. These guys are always going to want that last ounce of competitive advantage.

It's not a hell of a lot different than every driver having to wear seat belts when you get right down to it.. most of us are old enough to remember when that was seen as being the nanny state.. My first car didn't have seat belts or at least didn't have the shoulder harness.. The NFL is kind of like sports crash test dummies when you get right down to it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:52 PM)grampahol Wrote: It's not a hell of a lot different than every driver having to wear seat belts when you get right down to it.. most of us are old enough to remember when that was seen as being the nanny state.. My first car didn't have seat belts or at least didn't have the shoulder harness.. The NFL is kind of like sports crash test dummies when you get right down to it..

Right, but it's also no different than leg braces to lessen knee injuries, better shoes to limit turf toe and Lis Franc injuries. Players don't want them, so they won't be mandated. 
Reply/Quote
Using the average number of tackles per game by each team there are about 33,000 tackles a season that occurs. Each tackle has at-least two participants, so simply using that there were at least 66,000 points of collision this year alone with 1 occurrence. If we extrapolate that out over just say the last 10 years we are looking at a 1 out of 660k chance of this occurring. We are in commercial airliner crash realm of improbability.

This situation is sad but it truly is a fluke occurrence and not something that people should spend a ton of time panicking about it occurring repeatedly. There isn't even really any underlying issues to flag about being more at risk. It is a one in a million shot and sometimes things connect unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 12:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No, what we would hear is the professional athletes complaining about the restriction of body movement, just like with requiring linemen to wear leg braces, receivers to wear more substantial shoes, etc. These guys are always going to want that last ounce of competitive advantage.

(01-03-2023, 12:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It's been more decades than I'd like to think about since I had football pads on, and I really haven't paid much attention to the new ones, but don't they cover the chest in the front anymore anyway? Seems like I remember them covering the sternum. Of course, back then you had to turn sideways to get through a door.

It’s also been decades since I’ve put the pads on but they are definitely smaller. Look at 80s or even 90s highlights - shoulder pads back then were about twice the size of what they are now.
And Hendricksons tiny shoulder pads would have been too small for a kicker back then.
Reply/Quote
No.

Most cases of sudden death in athletes are due to undiagnosed structural or electrical heart conditions.

According to UpToDate, chest wall protectors have not been proven to prevent commotio cordis and “many” patients were wearing chest protectors at the time of injury.

It’s still more likely he had an undiagnosed heart condition than commotio cordis. We will need to wait on the test results. The most important aspect of sports physicals is to try to identify these athletes. Unfortunately, things like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy can go completely undetected and their first symptom can be sudden death. Gaines Adams who played for the Bears is a player who comes to mind.
Reply/Quote
There was no real hit to speak of. I suspect this turns out to be non game related.
Reply/Quote
The only thing I think they might end up doing is more stringent physicals for players to determine if a player has a heart condition that would increase their chances of af a serious injury. Adding more padding for a freak accident wont really do anything IMO
Reply/Quote