Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Marvin Study His Competition At All?
How do you not know that Justin Tucker can and will make a 57 yard field goal? he's kicked a 61 yarder before.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, a hee hee hee, giving up 3 is better than 7. We weren't planning on taking any shots, once we got the ball back, anyway, hee hee hee.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 10:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, a hee hee hee, giving up 3 is better than 7.  We weren't planning on taking any shots, once we got the ball back, anyway, hee hee hee.

Yeah.  Pretty much.  He knows he's not going to get fired, so why prepare for games?
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 09:38 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: How do you not know that Justin Tucker can and will make a 57 yard field goal?  he's kicked a 61 yarder before.

Maybe if YOU had studied the Ravens you would know that Tucker's 61 yarder was in a dome where kicks are much easier and other than that he has NEVER hit a FG as long as 57 yards before in his career.

Even the best kickers in the league struggle from 57 yards.  Most coaches would have done just what Marvin did in that situation.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 11:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe if YOU had studied the Ravens you would know that Tucker's 61 yarder was in a dome where kicks are much easier and other than that he has NEVER hit a FG as long as 57 yards before in his career.

Even the best kickers in the league struggle from 57 yards.  Most coaches would have done just what Marvin did in that situation.

It is not my job to study the Ravens.  It is Marvin's job.  He is getting paid a lot of money to do it.  And I don't think most coaches would have tested Tucker.  He's too good.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 05:02 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote:   And I don't think most coaches would have tested Tucker.  He's too good.

He had not attempted anything over 54 yards since 2014, and he was under 50% from 50+ each of the last two years.

Tucker is a damn good kicker, but 57 yards is tough for even the best.

Plus, if he missed then we got the ball at midfield, but if we take the penalty and force a punt we are pinned inside our own 20 with little time left.
Reply/Quote
Fred forgot to mention that Tucker is 17 for 18 from 50+ 2012, 2013 and 2016 so far.. that's 94.44%! Anyone can skew statistics and b.s. to fit their argument.

Marvin was outcoached again and everyone knows it.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He had not attempted anything over 54 yards since 2014, and he was under 50% from 50+ each of the last two years.

Tucker is a damn good kicker, but 57 yards is tough for even the best.

Plus, if he missed then we got the ball at midfield, but if we take the penalty and force a punt we are pinned inside our own 20 with little time left.

"If" sounds a little hollow considering it didn't happen. 

Plus, it's not the best platform to stand on.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 12:13 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: "If" sounds a little hollow considering it didn't happen. 

Plus, it's not the best platform to stand on.

Yes, I agree.  When you can wait until after something happens and then criticize the decision with 20/20 hindsight you are NEVER wrong.

What a way to look like a genius.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 12:08 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Fred forgot to mention that Tucker is 17 for 18  from 50+ 2012, 2013 and 2016 so far..  that's 94.44%!  Anyone can skew statistics and b.s. to fit their argument.  

Marvin was outcoached again and everyone knows it.

No he was not.  57 yds is a lot different than 50 yds.  MOst coaches would have made him try the kick from there.

This is just another example of people claiming they know everything because they have 20/20 hindsight.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 12:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he was not.  57 yds is a lot different than 50 yds.  MOst coaches would have made him try the kick from there.

This is just another example of people claiming they know everything because they have 20/20 hindsight.

You must not have watched the game.  I watched him make one easily from 52 yards.  Around the 45 second mark.
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Full-Game-Highlights-Bengals-vs-Ravens-/849e529e-f105-4e6e-b95e-89313da26bbf

So, when I watch a guy crush one from 52 why the hell would I let him pile on when we're fighting for out playoff lives?  That's not really hindsight you know.

Here's one of him making a 69 yard FG in practice!  (yes I know it's practice, before you try that angle)
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Top-Play-Justin-Tucker-Bombs-69-Yard-Field-Goal/cc293543-5973-4895-ad76-5f0b4170cc4b

Not all kickers are the same.  If you have a penalty to push them out of FG range, you do that.  If they don't make it, we get the ball back and the Ravens don't get the points.  

Letting Tucker kick long range FG's is like giving Brady the ball with a minute to go with his team trailing by 6.  

Keep in mind, we're talking about Tucker and not Nugent (who we've debated before and we know how that has turned out).  I think you just like the argument even if it makes no sense at all.  

Call PBS, Marvin could use some more supporters right now.  His ass is on the hot seat.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, I agree.  When you can wait until after something happens and then criticize the decision with 20/20 hindsight you are NEVER wrong.

What a way to look like a genius.

On a side note; i have a pack of Keebler Cheese and peanut butter crackers and two of the crackers don't have any peanut butter between them. 

My tongue is not happy. Is this actionable?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I agree with fred I thought letting them attempt a 57 yarder was the correct decision.Outside in the elements I'll take my chances every time even with Justin Tucker,same people crying about him not taking the penalty would be livid if he'd taken the penalty only to get an illegal contact on the next play. Exactly like fred is saying hindsight is always 20/20 the offense lost this game plain and simple
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 02:16 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Keep in mind, we're talking about Tucker 

Yes.  The same Tucker who had never in his entire career hit a FG as long as 57 yards outside of one that he kicked in a dome 3 years ago.

Even the best kickers in the league struggle from 57 yards.  That is why Tucker rarely even attempts one that long.

With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to claim Marvin made a bad decision.  But I still say that a lot of coaches would have made him attempt that kick.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 03:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes.  The same Tucker who had never in his entire career hit a FG as long as 57 yards outside of one that he kicked in a dome 3 years ago.

Even the best kickers in the league struggle from 57 yards.  That is why Tucker rarely even attempts one that long.

With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to claim Marvin made a bad decision.  But I still say that a lot of coaches would have made him attempt that kick.
Fred you're 110% right some people will criticize any decision Marvin make I can't wait to they replace Marvin so we can see what people on these boards will criticize then
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 03:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to claim Marvin made a bad decision. 

Why don't you understand that he just made one from 52 yards easily?  I even gave you a video link so you could see for yourself.  
I think you're still struggling with what we're talking about here.

Scenario:
Marvin watches the 52 yard FG go sailing through the uprights that would've been good from 60.  
Fast fowrard----------------------------->

4th and 4. Marvin has to make a decision, should he let Tucker (not Nuge) kick another fg from 57 or take the penalty and push them out of range?  (Mind you he is now 5/5 from 50+.)

*jeopardy music plays - surprisingly no Bengal timeout is called here*

Marvin decides to let him kick.  Ravens get another 3.  Bengals fall further behind.  

===================================================================================

What you call hindsight, I call foresight because I just watched him kill that 52 yd fg.  I will continue to criticize Marvin Lewis when he makes poor decisions such as that one and also losing the first down by calling the timeout.  Ridiculous.  I'm tired of it and so are a lot of others as well.

If the penalty happened on the 54 yard FG (the 3rd one) instead of the 2nd FG and Marvin followed his same strategy, I bet you'd still support him, because you think a kicker will miss from that range.  I get that part.  You have to think about the individual player.  Career kicks of 61, 56 & 55?  I just think Marvin didn't know any better or wasn't prepared, quite frankly.

FWIW, Tucker did make a 56 yard FG in Philly in 2012 and a 54 in Baltimore this year.  I don't recall either having a dome.  Ya, I know, it's not 57 yards!  
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 06:17 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Why don't you understand that he just made one from 52 yards easily?  I even gave you a video link so you could see for yourself.  
I think you're still struggling with what we're talking about here.

Scenario:
Marvin watches the 52 yard FG go sailing through the uprights that would've been good from 60.  
Fast fowrard----------------------------->

4th and 4. Marvin has to make a decision, should he let Tucker (not Nuge) kick another fg from 57 or take the penalty and push them out of range?  (Mind you he is now 5/5 from 50+.)

*jeopardy music plays - surprisingly no Bengal timeout is called here*

Marvin decides to let him kick.  Ravens get another 3.  Bengals fall further behind.  

===================================================================================

What you call hindsight, I call foresight because I just watched him kill that 52 yd fg.  I will continue to criticize Marvin Lewis when he makes poor decisions such as that one and also losing the first down by calling the timeout.  Ridiculous.  I'm tired of it and so are a lot of others as well.

If the penalty happened on the 54 yard FG (the 3rd one) instead of the 2nd FG and Marvin followed his same strategy, I bet you'd still support him, because you think a kicker will miss from that range.  I get that part.  You have to think about the individual player.  Career kicks of 61, 56 & 55?  I just think Marvin didn't know any better or wasn't prepared, quite frankly.

FWIW, Tucker did make a 56 yard FG in Philly in 2012 and a 54 in Baltimore this year.  I don't recall either having a dome.  Ya, I know, it's not 57 yards!  
You got me.  Shucks.

If Marvin takes the penalty to push them out of range you do realize that they replay the down after marking off the penalty yardage?giving Baltimore another crack at converting the third down into possibly a first down via a good play or penalty instead of letting them attempt a low percentage kick,it's really an easy decision to me
Reply/Quote
That kick Justin Tucker made cleared the bar by at least ten yards.  It might have been good from 70 yards!
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 12:14 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That kick Justin Tucker made cleared the bar by at least ten yards.  It might have been good from 70 yards!

Makes me sick that we keep hanging on to Nugent without at least trying to look for someone better.  
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 10:24 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: If Marvin takes the penalty to push them out of range you do realize that they replay the down after marking off the penalty yardage?giving Baltimore another crack at converting the third down into possibly a first down via a good play or penalty instead of letting them attempt a low percentage kick,it's really an easy decision to me

Lol that's p**** talk and EXACTLY what went through Marvins head. He is always thinking two steps ahead as to what is the worst case scenario. It's the same thing with the two minute warning. He is anxious about the possibilities of giving the other team anything. Bad way of livin.
Reply/Quote