Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Money Trump Winning In The NFL?
And does location trump either of those?

I always thought about it and I always think "why would he go to that team?" but then I'm just like "it's not really a game to them...... it's business."

So I guess I'm just wondering how much money plays into it and what amount of money does one need to make winning not matter?

Also, I know players can live elsewhere in the offseason, but if you're a franchise QB or receiver, or just any core player, you're going to be living in a city for five or ten years, so how much does location factor into it all?

I guess it depends on how financially stable a player is to begin with, but then I also wonder about that scale.

How rich or financially stable does someone have to be to turn down a raise of a hundred grand in order to stay with a team they like or a location they like? What about 50 grand?

The NFL stands for Not For Long, so how much would it take to get a player to go from a Super Bowl contender to a last place team?

Are there too many variables to answer any of those questions?
Reply/Quote
Money talks. But in most cases we are not talking about a difference of 100k. We are talking a difference of a million or more. Or years in a contract. Sure for some players location comes into play but with the exception of no state tax places it is not their top concern

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Surely cost of living would have to come in to play as well. A $9 million contract in Nashville would certainly go a lot further than a $10 million contract in NYC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You can tell which players are which....

Tom Brady is about winning which is why hes on such a team friendly deal and guys with no meaningful starts are getting paid more than him.

Some guys are just about money See kirk cousins
Reply/Quote
It's like anything else I suppose. How good of a schmooze job does a team do when they go to visit and so on. Maybe it's the weather . Personally if it were me (AS IF an NFL team would hire me to do anything much less play football) I'd be automatically ruling out teams that play outside in the winter although somehow back when I could have played any sport outside in the cold it didn't bother me as much . That said, a few million bucks more each year would go a long way to change my mind. After all ..I once worked hanging billboards during a blizzard.. Try climbing 60 feet up to slop water around with a long brush in below zero weather . It's not anywhere near as fun as it sounds. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 11:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: You can tell which players are which....

Tom Brady is about winning which is why hes on such a team friendly deal and guys with no meaningful starts are getting paid more than him.

Some guys are just about money  See kirk cousins

So I suppose you don't believe that NE does some 'creative bookkeeping' to keep Brady?  I'm far too cynical for that kind of magical thinking .. lol

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I think it depends on the individual just like it does with every industry.
Some people care (more) about making the most money, some care (more) about a job that challenges them, some care (more) about company culture/location, etc.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 11:48 AM)grampahol Wrote: So I suppose you don't believe that NE does some 'creative bookkeeping' to keep Brady?  I'm far too cynical for that kind of magical thinking .. lol

No, I don't because it's not worth the smackdown tot he team. The reality is Brady simply doesn't need to, not many other QB wives are also making as much as NFL QB's.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 11:16 AM)wcu Wrote: Surely cost of living would have to come in to play as well. A $9 million contract in Nashville would certainly go a lot further than a $10 million contract in NYC.

Cost of living is insane around this country vs Cincinnati. To live in NYC with the same standard of living as making 50k in Cincy, you will need to bring in around 125k. Heck, Palo Alto (silicon valley) is 300k to live like 50k here. Man this place is affordable.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 11:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: You can tell which players are which....

Some guys are just about money See kirk cousins

Kirk could have taken more money to go to the jets....

According to Rapoport, both the Arizona Cardinals and the New York Jets offered more money that the Vikings did. There weren’t any specifications about the length of the deals or the amount of guarantees that either of those two teams offered, just that they offered Cousins more than the Vikings did.

If this is true and Cousins did, in fact, take less money to come to Minnesota, then it sort of crystallizes his priorities. With all due respect to the Jets and the Cardinals, they aren’t on the same level competitively that the Vikings are right now. . .after all, the Vikings did make it to the NFC Championship Game last season and bring back just about everybody from that squad. If Cousins is serious about wanting to win, and it appears that he is, then Minnesota has been a no-brainer as a destination for him all along.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:38 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Kirk could have taken more money to go to the jets....

According to Rapoport, both the Arizona Cardinals and the New York Jets offered more money that the Vikings did. There weren’t any specifications about the length of the deals or the amount of guarantees that either of those two teams offered, just that they offered Cousins more than the Vikings did.

If this is true and Cousins did, in fact, take less money to come to Minnesota, then it sort of crystallizes his priorities. With all due respect to the Jets and the Cardinals, they aren’t on the same level competitively that the Vikings are right now. . .after all, the Vikings did make it to the NFC Championship Game last season and bring back just about everybody from that squad. If Cousins is serious about wanting to win, and it appears that he is, then Minnesota has been a no-brainer as a destination for him all along.

He had been holding out on signing a long term deal the last 2 years because he wanted to be the highest paid QB in the league.... 

He didn't go to Minnesota for much less than the cards or jets offered.   Vikings way overpaid.
Reply/Quote
I'd say it is on an individual basis. Maybe when you're younger (first free agency) you're looking for the big payday. When you're on the back 9, maybe trying to get a ring motivates you more. I'd wager that it's a pretty good balance of the two for most. You'll always have your Albert Haynesworth types though.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:38 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Kirk could have taken more money to go to the jets....

My understanding is, with Minnesota his entire contract is guaranteed. Not sure what Arizona or the Jets offered him.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 11:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: No, I don't because it's not worth the smackdown tot he team. The reality is Brady simply doesn't need to, not many other QB wives are also making as much as NFL QB's.

Either way Brady will never be forced to go live in the poor house any time soon. His endorsement fees alone could afford him the ability to play for free for NE.. 
There's quite a difference between a guy whose won multiple super bowls and a guy who has spent 10 years as a backup for a team that hasn't won a playoff game in the past 28 years .

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:46 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'd say it is on an individual basis. Maybe when you're younger (first free agency) you're looking for the big payday. When you're on the back 9, maybe trying to get a ring motivates you more. I'd wager that it's a pretty good balance of the two for most.

This.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:54 PM)grampahol Wrote: Either way Brady will never be forced to go live in the poor house any time soon. His endorsement fees alone could afford him the ability to play for free for NE.. 
There's quite a difference between a guy whose won multiple super bowls and a guy who has spent 10 years as a backup for a team that hasn't won a playoff game in the past 28 years .

Ehh, most people I know could probably live on a reduced salary but why should they?  I'm the only person I know who ever admitted that he has a job where he is paid more than he should be.  I think I have one of those social disorders they're diagnosing kids with these days, though.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 11:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: No, I don't because it's not worth the smackdown tot he team. The reality is Brady simply doesn't need to, not many other QB wives are also making as much as NFL QB's.

Correct, Tom Brady isn't even the breadwinner in that marriage....

Taxes on players who play for teams located in California, etc, are huge. Not only is the cost of living greater, the taxes have to be figured in...
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:54 PM)sandwedge Wrote: My understanding is, with Minnesota his entire contract is guaranteed. Not sure what Arizona or the Jets offered him.

right I just heard that...  Would take 3 mil less a year for 80+ mil fully guaranteed... any day.   He could get hurt first day of camp and Minnesota is screwed.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 11:48 AM)grampahol Wrote: So I suppose you don't believe that NE does some 'creative bookkeeping' to keep Brady?  I'm far too cynical for that kind of magical thinking .. lol

He has restructured his deal a few times... but point is if brady was about the money he'd be making 35mil a year easily especially if his former backup is making close to that after 5 starts  

Yes I know brady doesn't need the extra money.  But getting paid what your worth is also a thing.    If any QB should be the highest paid in the league it should be him.   but then that would hurt the partriots building tom a team.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He had been holding out on signing a long term deal the last 2 years because he wanted to be the highest paid QB in the league.... 

He didn't go to Minnesota for much less than the cards or jets offered.   Vikings way overpaid.

Maybe Washington didn’t put together a fair offer? Can’t blame the player for maximizing their earnings. But according to multiple official sources he didn’t go to the highest bidder. Seems to be he weighed out winning and money to come up with a good destination.

Also he got a fair contract that expires in 3 years. Most 5 year deals are 3 year deals with team options, taking away any leverage the player has. (Like dalton earning 16M a year now). Had dalton gone the Kirk route he could have been one of the highest paid qbs and had his choice of destination.

Suh, Haynsworth, Revis... those are players that take money over anything
Reply/Quote