Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does The Media Falsely Portray Trump?
(09-28-2017, 09:10 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Nately's bored.

Bored?  That's a funny way to spell "Sick of being duped into thinking Trump isn't beloved by all."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-28-2017, 09:02 AM)Vlad Wrote: Being as bombastic as Trump is, its hard to gauge him on this one.

Had he said to fire them on Twitter, then yes, I believe that's exactly what he meant.

But saying "fire those SOB's" in front of a crowd of supporters in an attempt to rile and draw cheers over an issue he and they together are compassionate about? Perhaps, but not sure.

Either way, its not something he should have said.

He shoulda said that players kneeling should be "cut" not fired. LOL

He did tweet it, though.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-28-2017, 09:53 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He did tweet it, though.

Look, just because he tweeted it and said it doesn't mean he believed it or meant it.   Mellow

We have to look at what is in his heart.

"Give him a chance" 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-27-2017, 08:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Is the media claiming that most Americans hate Trump for his comments like the ones about the NFL players taking knees just complete propaganda that's just click-bate and the opposite of being true?

You hear boos during the anthem when players kneel and NFL ratings are down because of it, but then Trump comes out and bashes it and now all of the sudden his ratings are in the shitter?

Seems too fishy to me.

And I know people will say "you mean the media is trying to stir the pot and and get clicks?!  WOW," but this is ridiculous and I feel like they just do anything to paint him in a negative light in a way that you didn't see with Obama.  

Don't get me wrong because I know he does some of it himself, but things like the anthem protests seem like everyone is being hypocrites and criticizing him for having the balls to say what everyone wants to say.

Leading up to the election, you had a bunch of arrogant, holier than thou, hate filled talking heads talking about Trump as if he were Satan himself and repeteadly laughed at the idea of Trump winning the election because the polls were showing "he had no chance" of beating Hillary.

Come election night you have those same people sitting there with horror in their eyes and egg on their faces with nothing to say. I stayed up all night watching CNN just to witness that moment because I had little doubt It was coming.

What I learned from the 2016 election is that anything the media reports about Trump's poll numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.
(09-28-2017, 10:19 AM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Trump's poll numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.

The Real Clear Politics average had him losing the popular vote by 3%. He lost it by 2%. 

The issue wasn't whether the polls were accurate, but rather they shouldn't have assumed a popular win would equate to an electoral win.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

No.
(09-27-2017, 08:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Don't get me wrong because I know he does some of it himself, but things like the anthem protests seem like everyone is being hypocrites and criticizing him for having the balls to say what everyone wants to say.

(09-28-2017, 09:02 AM)Vlad Wrote: Being as bombastic as Trump is, its hard to gauge him on this one.

Had he said to fire them on Twitter, then yes, I believe that's exactly what he meant.

But saying "fire those SOB's" in front of a crowd of supporters in an attempt to rile and draw cheers over an issue he and they together are compassionate about? Perhaps, but not sure.

Either way, its not something he should have said.

He shoulda said that players kneeling should be "cut" not fired. LOL

So is Trump a straight shooter who says exactly what he means and tells it like it is and isn't politically correct and says what y'all want to say, but are too scared to say or he doesn't?

Even the Trump supporters don't know.
(09-27-2017, 11:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: And yet people were booing them kneeling and cheering when he said it?

There's been such an uproar about it, but they disagree with him speaking about it?

Like I said, the media chooses which side they want you hear and develop the narrative that best gets them ratings.
Exactly what I'm saying.

He's calling people SOBs for trashing the country he swore to defend.

And he's not trying to start WWWIII but rather just giving America a backbone and not letting a maniac act a fool and push us around. Would you rather he "be diplomatic" and wait for North Korea to start nuking us and other countries?

What aren't those people doing while they boo the players kneeling during the national anthem? They aren't paying respect to the flag. So they're guilty of doing the very thing they are booing. But, we aren't dealing with rocket scientists here so of course they don't recognize the irony of the actions because if they did they wouldn't boo during the national anthem.
(09-28-2017, 10:50 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: No.

Ditto.

(Side note: is it still acceptable to say "ditto"?)
(09-28-2017, 10:26 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The Real Clear Politics average had him losing the popular vote by 3%. He lost it by 2%. 

The issue wasn't whether the polls were accurate, but rather they shouldn't have assumed a popular win would equate to an electoral win.

Yes that's pretty much my point.

It should be taken with a grain of salt as to what his poll numbers actually mean. The media interpreted the numbers as meaning Trump having no chance to win the election when that clearly was not the case.

Sure, the polls were "accurate" but accurate in relation to what exactly? That's the real issue.
If you're an NFL player who kneels during the anthem, Trump calls you a son of a *****. If you attend a Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Trump calls at least some of you fine people.

Yet, somehow it's the media's fault?
(09-28-2017, 12:11 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Yes that's pretty much my point.

It should be taken with a grain of salt as to what his poll numbers actually mean. The media interpreted the numbers as meaning Trump having no chance to win the election when that clearly was not the case.

Sure, the polls were "accurate" but accurate in relation to what exactly? That's the real issue.

I have to admit I thought Clinton was going to win when Trump amped his "This election is totally rigged" narrative up to 11.
(09-28-2017, 10:26 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The Real Clear Politics average had him losing the popular vote by 3%. He lost it by 2%. 

(09-28-2017, 12:11 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Yes that's pretty much my point.

The key word to keep in mind with polls is that they are opinion polls. Opinion translates to the popular vote. Most public opinion polls (with a good reputation) and political science models predicted the popular vote outcome well within their margin of error. The issue is that neither the polls nor the predictive models were designed to predict the electoral college. Because it is an anomaly for a popular vote winner to lose the electoral college, there hasn't been a substantial effort in creating those models.

I actually read a paper on this back in April that was from a poli-sci journal. They did a bit of a de-brief of the predictive models that had published previously and how they compared. Again, most were accurate to the popular vote numbers and within the margin, but there was a big notation as to the lack of modeling for the EC and how, with that happening twice in recent history, it may need to be something they start gearing research towards.

Regardless of all of that, what you are going to continue seeing in public opinion polling is just that, public opinion. This will always have a relationship that is a strong positive correlation to a popular vote count. Those polls weren't wrong, and they continue not to be, and as long as the people don't elect the POTUS it will have a weaker correlative relationship to the EC votes. But, the opinion polls are important because they represent what we consider to be a mandate to lead. When you lack that mandate, it becomes harder to pursue an agenda. If you lack that mandate, then the legislature will be more likely to distance themselves from the administration.

But, what we should also keep in mind, is we don't often see the numbers from internals. Each party runs a number of internal polls that target the party's base. Trump still has a majority of support among Republican voters. This makes the decisions by lawmakers more difficult when dealing with Trump. They have to pay attention to internals because they could face a challenge in the primary, but the other polling is what they look at when it comes to the general.

Personally, I just wish they would all stand up for their own principles and stop governing by polls, but that is the nature of Washington right now. Polls and special interests rule the roost.
Does The Media Falsely Portray Trump?

Which media are you talking about? Fox News? CNN?

Are you are talking about "the Media" in the same sense that you talk about "the Man"?

In the general sense of "the Media", yes, they do have a bias. But it is a bias which has been created and cultivated by Trump himself. He has sought these reactions from the media in order to make people believe that "You can't trust the media".... which should actually be read as "You can't trust the media UNLESS they say something good about me." And literally millions of people buy into this narrative.

But this narrative is nothing new. People on the extreme Right have been chanting this since the Vietnam War. At that time, the narrative was "We are losing this war because the Media is riling up kids against it!". But not to single out the Right. Soon-to-be-former Blue Dog Democrats in the South were railing against the Media even before this claiming that the Northern media was "riling up them there negroes."

But, personally, I like to read the magazines at the checkout counter of the grocery: the National Enquirer, Star, etc. They always have something good to say about Trump and something bad to say about Evil Hillary. Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(09-28-2017, 11:38 AM)Benton Wrote: Ditto.

(Side note: is it still acceptable to say "ditto"?)

Depends on if I use it in a transvestite thread lol
It's probably safe to say that Trump probably calls a lot of people sob's. It's probably just how he speaks. I have a lot of friends who are from New York and they speak exactly this way. Everyone is either a sob, monkey, and a few works I shouldn't be posting.

I think his type of speech is lost on the rest of the country because we just do not speak this way to one another.
(09-28-2017, 12:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's probably safe to say that Trump probably calls a lot of people sob's. It's probably just how he speaks. I have a lot of friends who are from New York and they speak exactly this way. Everyone is either a sob, monkey, and a few works I shouldn't be posting.

I think his type of speech is lost on the rest of the country because we just do not speak this way to one another.

Now tell me how you would nonchalantly wave it off if we had a POTUS that used AAVE.
(09-28-2017, 12:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's probably safe to say that Trump probably calls a lot of people sob's. It's probably just how he speaks. I have a lot of friends who are from New York and they speak exactly this way. Everyone is either a sob, monkey, and a few works I shouldn't be posting.

(06-19-2015, 02:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The reason your not supposed to swear is because you sound like an uneducated moron when you use that language. Yeah the words mean what they mean.... But it's a low class, uneducated, style of speaking

So you agree with Lucie that Trump sounds like a low class, uneducated moron when he speaks? A mix of a lack of vocabulary and manners?
(09-28-2017, 03:04 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So you agree with Lucie that Trump sounds like a low class, uneducated moron when he speaks? A mix of a lack of vocabulary and manners?

Lol. You pulled out a post from 2015. You seriously need a life man, why am I in your head this much?

And all I am saying is that trump sounds like a New Yorker and New Yorkers do not sound like anyone else in the country.
(09-28-2017, 02:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Now tell me how you would nonchalantly wave it off if we had a POTUS that used AAVE.

I am not waiving it off. I don't think he should be calling anyone an sob. I just do not feel the need to virtue signal here on the board. It's not interesting enough to discuss in my opinion.