Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Tomlin know...
[Image: 12088562_10205767246913666_1585558190902...e=569656DD]
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12088562_10205767246913666_15855581909020044_n.jpg?oh=ec880ad5b26e2b66ea426fb53a01f265&oe=569656DD
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 01:01 AM)GMDino Wrote: I've always defended Tomlin.

No more.

He HAD TO HAVE Vick.  Wanted him when he first got out of jail.

HE made the call to not kick on 4th down.

He's gotten worse and worse.

Dino wasn't that about ignorant on that fourth smfh 
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 08:55 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Was there some kind of behind the scenes competition between Harbs and Tomlin on who could be bigger bonehead that game? Some of the decisions made in that game were baffling..

I said it was like both coaches were trying to lose but the players kept messing it up. Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 01:30 AM)Bengaldor Wrote: Time to update your signature.  Wink

Was fixing to type same thing.  Wink
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 03:55 AM)MrRager Wrote: Damn, son. Vick didn't play terribly for a backup. He si good enough in that role. Would you have rather seen Landry Jones out there tonight? It is not like there are a ton of options so a athletic backup does not seem like a terrible choice. 

And what did you expect? I think he made the right call to go for it, though I may disagree with the 3rd and 4th playcalls. 
Exactly this. Vick was fine. Didn't make a huge mistakes and evaded a few blitz with his legs. Missed a wide open Brown on that last play, but it was one of the more difficult 3 yard throws we could ask a qb to attempt.

If the kicker was any good it wouldn't of went to OT, so going for it on the last two drives was correct. Passing on 3rd and 2 and a designed qb run to the outside of 4th and 2 was terrible. Run with Bell on 3rd down and if he gains anything at all, run it up the middle with him again on 4th down.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 09:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: I said it was like both coaches were trying to lose but the players kept messing it up. Smirk

Except Scobee. Gold ****** star for him.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 09:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: [Image: 12088562_10205767246913666_1585558190902...e=569656DD]
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12088562_10205767246913666_15855581909020044_n.jpg?oh=ec880ad5b26e2b66ea426fb53a01f265&oe=569656DD

Or coach?
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 09:39 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Exactly this. Vick was fine. Didn't make a huge mistakes and evaded a few blitz with his legs. Missed a wide open Brown on that last play, but it was one of the more difficult 3 yard throws we could ask a qb to attempt.

If the kicker was any good it wouldn't of went to OT, so going for it on the last two drives was correct. Passing on 3rd and 2 and a designed qb run to the outside of 4th and 2 was terrible. Run with Bell on 3rd down and if he gains anything at all, run it up the middle with him again on 4th down.

And then they went away from what little strengths Vick still has.  And that last pass he doesn't make when he's 25.  Not blaming Vick for doing what they told him to do.

Bad calls on 3rd and 4th?  Definitely.

I will go to the grave though saying you have to try the FG in OT.  If they got that first down and then lost 10 yards on the next three plays what does Tomlin do?  Go for it again?  Send in the kicker you just told to the nation you don't trust at all?

He didn't miss every kick by a huge margin.  Make him try it.  And if he misses and you lose you take the blame for that call...not the call that had about as much chance as the kick anyway.

He screwed himself by going with his "belly" and not thinking ahead.  Again.
Reply/Quote
You gotta go for the kick and the win. Anytime you have the chance to end the game you have to take it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I was pissed with the fake FG attempt. There was plenty of time. They should've just went for 3.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 10:04 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You gotta go for the kick and the win.  Anytime you have the chance to end the game you have to take it.

Exactly.

(10-02-2015, 10:05 AM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: I was pissed with the fake FG attempt. There was plenty of time. They should've just went for 3.

Totally boneheaded call.  Could have worked to.  D made a heads up play there.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 09:39 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Exactly this. Vick was fine. Didn't make a huge mistakes and evaded a few blitz with his legs. Missed a wide open Brown on that last play, but it was one of the more difficult 3 yard throws we could ask a qb to attempt.

The Steelers offense was definitely bottled up last night. I thought the point of having a veteran backup is so you don't have to simplify your playbook. Honesty, on that 4th down throw, that's the kind of spot where you want a big WR with a large catch radius, and Brown just isn't the type of player to make tough catches on off target throws.

Scobee sucks, and the Steelers never should have traded for him. The Jags, a team with more holes than the Titanic, spent a draft pick on a kicker so they could get rid of him. He used to be pretty good, but this move stinks of the Steeler FO going off of name recognition and not doing their homework.

I'm a little surprised that Brown isn't catching any flak for dropping that TD in the 1st half.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 12047106_1005721169474571_77359370940553...e=56A730C6]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 06:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: Amazing how bad calls turn good when great players can make stuff happen.

Four times the could have/should have ran with Bell and didn't.  Instead relied on 35 year old back up with 2 days to prep.  Brilliant play calling.

You make the kicker kick the ball.  He lives or dies on his own.  Instead they asked Vick to make a pass across his body that he wasn't particularly good at when he was a full-time starter?  Now, thanks to that call, you have to cut the kicker.  Period.  Even if you were going to anyway you just said you have no confidence in him at all.

Let's play what if:  IF that get the 1st down and then don't get another yard...does Tomlin let him kick then?  How close did he want to be?

But because of that call there is nothing Tomlin can say or do to keep Scobee instead of the kicker doing what he is paid do and kicking the ball and deciding his own fate.  Not to make Scobee "feel better" about himself...but because that is what he is suppose to do.  He didn't miss them all.  He's not a rookie.  He's been in pressure situations before.

Even beyond all of that if the special teams hadn't bailed Tomlin out on the fake kick (twice) by Harbawler they would have lost in regulation.

I've always defended Tomlin...no more.

How in the hell Tomlin forgot he had Bell on that 4th and 1 I'll never know ! Like you say relying on Vick to make that play ????????
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 12:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Steelers offense was definitely bottled up last night.  I thought the point of having a veteran backup is so you don't have to simplify your playbook.  Honesty, on that 4th down throw, that's the kind of spot where you want a big WR with a large catch radius, and Brown just isn't the type of player to make tough catches on off target throws.

Scobee sucks, and the Steelers never should have traded for him.  The Jags, a team with more holes than the Titanic, spent a draft pick on a kicker so they could get rid of him.  He used to be pretty good, but this move stinks of the Steeler FO going off of name recognition and not doing their homework.

I'm a little surprised that Brown isn't catching any flak for dropping that TD in the 1st half.

In the first half the Steelers did exactly what everyone thought they should...and it worked.

Rolled Vick out.  Kept him to working half the field.  Used both RB's.  Mixed in a few deeper shots to keep the D honest.

Then they got the lead and stopped every one of those things in order to "not lose".

That worked out GREAT!

But lets blame the kicker.  Its easier. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 01:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: How in the hell Tomlin forgot he had Bell on that 4th and 1 I'll never know ! Like you say relying on Vick to make that play ????????

My guess is he dipped into Bell's stash just before making those calls.

Gotta clear your head of things like reason and good sense when coaching.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 02:03 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: My guess is he dipped into Bell's stash just before making those calls.

Gotta clear your head of things like reason and good sense when coaching.

My guess is he got a last minute coaching tip from Marvin aka Giggles. 
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 12:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Steelers offense was definitely bottled up last night.  I thought the point of having a veteran backup is so you don't have to simplify your playbook.  Honesty, on that 4th down throw, that's the kind of spot where you want a big WR with a large catch radius, and Brown just isn't the type of player to make tough catches on off target throws.

Scobee sucks, and the Steelers never should have traded for him.  The Jags, a team with more holes than the Titanic, spent a draft pick on a kicker so they could get rid of him.  He used to be pretty good, but this move stinks of the Steeler FO going off of name recognition and not doing their homework.

He came in at the end of camp, probably took close to no snaps with the first team during practices, and when Ben went down, had a short week to get ready for the game.  He wasn't great, but he was as good as you could reasonably expect.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 12:41 PM)Whatever Wrote:
Whatever Wrote:The Steelers offense was definitely bottled up last night.  I thought the point of having a veteran backup is so you don't have to simplify your playbook.  Honesty, on that 4th down throw, that's the kind of spot where you want a big WR with a large catch radius, and Brown just isn't the type of player to make tough catches on off target throws.

Yeah...Too bad we don't have one of those on our team............ Confused

Quote:Scobee sucks, and the Steelers never should have traded for him.  The Jags, a team with more holes than the Titanic, spent a draft pick on a kicker so they could get rid of him.  He used to be pretty good, but this move stinks of the Steeler FO going off of name recognition and not doing their homework.

You got lots of observations but provide no solutions.

Quote:I'm a little surprised that Brown isn't catching any flak for dropping that TD in the 1st half.

Yeah...I mean the dude had one bad moment in like 3 seasons...we should probably beat him up. 
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 03:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He came in at the end of camp, probably took close to no snaps with the first team during practices, and when Ben went down, had a short week to get ready for the game.  He wasn't great, but he was as good as you could reasonably expect.

In the first half...when they played to whatever strengths he has left by rolling the pocket, limiting the field, etc.

Then in the second half they dropped him straight back and watched him get pushed over 4 or 5 times and never took another shot beyond ten yards until late in the game.

Odd coaching choices.  
Reply/Quote