Poll: Should our Network News stop acting like tabloid TV, and go back to presenting "hard news"?
This poll is closed.
Yes
100.00%
6 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does "big media" pick the wrong focus?
Is Big Media so in bed with Big Government and Big Business, that they have completely lost focus on what events and items are to be deemed "newsworthy"?  I'm not even talking about telling the story from one political viewpoint, or the other.  I'm talking about flat-out ignoring real events of relevance to ALL Americans, rather than getting all caught up in whatever petty "social outrage" of the week.

I'm pretty sure that most around here already know my position on the matter.  But, just to refresh;  I feel that ANY National News Affiliate has a responsibility to present hard news that effects all or most Americans first, any human interest and social squabbling is secondary.

The author of this article points that out, using the latest outcry over the Confederate Flag, in relation to the Dylan Roof killings, as a prime example.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/07/11/the-mainstream-media-failed-in-its-primary-responsibility-and-dylann-roof-got-a-gun/

Quote:On April 11 Dylann Roof was allowed to purchase the .45-caliber handgun he would use in June to murder nine innocent people in a Charleston, South Carolina, church. That Roof should not have been able to purchase this gun is not up for debate. Due to a March drug arrest, it was illegal for Roof to own a gun. Moreover, no one, including the NRA, believes that someone who has been convicted of a felony or who is facing a felony charge should be allowed to purchase a firearm.

In other words, this is the kind of gun control all of America agrees on.

Quote:The Feds screwed up, plain and simple, and did so at the most important job they have: keeping us safe by keeping firearms out of the hands of Dylann Roofs.

Without question, a devastating national tragedy that might have been avoided falls on the F.B.I. Sure, Roof might have been able to get an illegal gun elsewhere. What we do know is how he did get the gun that allowed him to commit this unspeakable crime.
So where the hell was our media?
Quote:Currently, by a  wide margin, there are more so-called journalists in Washington DC than ever before. Thousands of them — thousands of left-wing, hot-taking, mainstream media sheep with monstrous budgets and the kind of resources those of us in New Media can still only dream of.  But because they are too busy using these resources to create a giant propaganda machine that shapes the outcomes of legislation and elections, no one is watch-dogging the federal government.

I used to think that Fox News was a good alternative.  But now, I just see them as another perspective of the same crap.  They have their heads so far up the asses of the RINOs, that they are even ignoring what is really important, in favor of "ratings".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
You should watch CNN. They were reporting on this mess up in screening today.

Maybe you just don't know where to look for these stories. Because they are clearly being reported in the media.
(07-11-2015, 06:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You should watch CNN.  They were reporting on this mess up in screening today.

Maybe you just don't know where to look for these stories.  Because they are clearly being reported in the media.

A case of too little vs. too late...

They should have been talking about this back in June, rather than fueling the fire over the Confederate Flag.

My point, exactly...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Both Fox and CNN do straight news much of the day...On CNN it's about 45% opinion and 55% hard news, with Fox a mirror image 55/45.  MSNBC is 85% opinion/commentary.

Of course, the hard news is still slanted in terms of what topics covered reflecting the bias of the network.  If you want decent dirt on Dems, you watch Fox.  And to get decent dirt on Repubs, you watch CNN. It used to be quality opinion pieces, especially in newspapers, would address the counterpoints to their arguments. That doesn't happen much anymore in serious or productive fashion, particularly on tv which is why you need to get both conservative and liberal views to understand all the sides of the issue.

The more interesting observation, to me, is that 50% of stories are less than 30 seconds with only 20% exceeding one minute.  A story less than 30 seconds would appear hard to cram all the facts into, so when it matters ALL the news stations are cherry-picking the facts that support their agenda, which is different than creatively editing a piece to manufacture your own facts.  If you watch BOTH CNN and Fox, I think you get a decent perspective around an issue...and printed media is no different - you're not getting the whole story if you rely exclusively on liberal or conservative outlets.

http://www.stateofthemedia.org/2013/special-reports-landing-page/the-changing-tv-news-landscape/
(07-11-2015, 06:55 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Both Fox and CNN do straight news much of the day...On CNN it's about 45% opinion and 55% hard news, with Fox a mirror image 55/45.  MSNBC is 85% opinion/commentary.

Of course, the hard news is still slanted in terms of what topics covered reflecting the bias of the network.  If you want decent dirt on Dems, you watch Fox.  And to get decent dirt on Repubs, you watch CNN.   It used to be quality opinion pieces, especially in newspapers, would address the counterpoints to their arguments.  That doesn't happen much anymore in serious or productive fashion, particularly on tv which is why you need to get both conservative and liberal views to understand all the sides of the issue.

The more interesting observation, to me, is that 50% of stories are less than 30 seconds with only 20% exceeding one minute.  A story less than 30 seconds would appear hard to cram all the facts into, so when it matters ALL the news stations are cherry-picking the facts that support their agenda, which is different than creatively editing a piece to manufacture your own facts.  If you watch BOTH CNN and Fox, I think you get a decent perspective around an issue...and printed media is no different - you're not getting the whole story if you rely exclusively on liberal or conservative outlets.

http://www.stateofthemedia.org/2013/special-reports-landing-page/the-changing-tv-news-landscape/

I'd say that most folks already get that point.  What I'm aiming at, is where was the discussion about how did this kid with a drug charge get a gun?  Where is the emphasis on government mistake?  Why did the conversation instantly go to "Well, the Confederate Flag must be to blame"? 

It was the same in the Michael Brown situation.  Mass Media had the nation up in a frenzy, thinking that some kid was gunned down, in cold blood.  Later, when the facts came out, that original narrative was the furthest thing from the truth.

Where has the editorial integrity went?  Better question, why aren't Americans protesting the News outlets for covering for governmental oversight? Who is watching the government, on behalf of the American tax payers?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
The poll is a loaded question. I think CNN and Fox devote plenty of time for hard news.

A 24 hour station can't be too much hard news. There just isn't enough.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-11-2015, 06:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A case of too little vs. too late...

They should have been talking about this back in June, rather than fueling the fire over the Confederate Flag.

My point, exactly...

Why wasn't your guy from Breitbart talking about it back in June?

Don't you see how stupid it is for a member of the media to squirt all over himself about how the media is failing when he is part of the media?
(07-11-2015, 07:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It was the same in the Michael Brown situation.  Mass Media had the nation up in a frenzy, thinking that some kid was gunned down, in cold blood.  Later, when the facts came out, that original narrative was the furthest thing from the truth.

This is just ridiculous.  The media reported BOTH SIDES of the story as soon as they got it.  You can't blame the media for not reporting anything that had not been released.  They are going to report any information they have as soon as they get it.  You can't blame them that the police refused to release any information about what happened.
(07-11-2015, 07:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't you see how stupid it is for a member of the media to squirt all over himself about how the media is failing when he is part of the media?

What profession do you suggest report on how the media is falling apart?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-11-2015, 07:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where has the editorial integrity went?  Better question, why aren't Americans protesting the News outlets for covering for governmental oversight?  Who is watching the government, on behalf of the American tax payers?

All of the issues complained about in this Breitbart story WERE covered by the media. I saw the coverage myself.

This is ridiculous.
(07-11-2015, 07:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where has the editorial integrity went?

Blame social media and blogs...they were stealing market share and the networks had to adapt or die.  The reason people don't hold the media accountable is because those are the same people that created the environment for "stories now, news/accuracy later (if ever)"

Basically, the networks all got into rumors and supposition when the people demonstrated that as newsworthy.

To answer your question....how he got the gun is/was covered and always is, but that's less interesting than latching on to anything scandalous, such as the Confederate flag. People like to be outraged, and it's just harder for many people to get fired-up over the system failing to allow this kid to buy a gun.
(07-11-2015, 07:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What profession do you  suggest report on how the media is falling apart?

I suggest a member of the media that isn't guilty of the exact same thing should report on it.

This issue came to everyone's attention because the FBI released a statement about it Friday.  If this guy from Breitbart wanted to get his squeal on he should have included himself.  Yet he blames everyone except himself.

it is ridiculous.
The media...all media, will report on what gets ratings, not what is important.

But who's to say what is important?
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
http://america.aljazeera.com/
(07-11-2015, 07:46 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: But who's to say what is important?

Well from looking at the rest of the Breitbart page this......

11 Normal Things Every '80s Kid Did in School That Would Never Fly Today

10 Major Casting Fails That Ruined Entire Films

35 Of The Most Powerful Photos Ever Taken. #16 Will Give You Shivers[/font][/size]Buzzlamp[/url]

30 Incredible Cabins Around the World

10 Celebrities You'd Never Guess Were Autistic

These Stars Quit Hollywood

Pope makes Burger King pit stop

'Lucy the Shark' guards House panel office

TheHObamas host "Kids' State Dinner"

Sponsored Links
YOU MIGHT LIKE
Don't Spend $300 and More on Glasses - Here's How!Glasses USA

9 Incredibly Old Photos. You Will Be Shocked By Their AgeViral Mozo

What Traits Do We Look For in Your Loan Application?Funding Circle

Two Prominent Journalists Were FIRED For Trying To Report ThisLaissez Faire Books

Two Simple Steps to Erase Eye Bags and Wrinkles
New Probiotic Fat Burner Takes GNC by Storm
See How He Was Able to Lose 53 Pounds in Six Weeks
Shocking Method Regrows Hair Overnight
One Specia Odd Trick to Restore Perfect Hearing
Prepared for This Ancient Biblical Prophecies

advertisement
MOST POPULAR

Memphis City Council Votes to Dig Up Grave of Confederate General, Sell His Statue
2205 comments · 3 hours ago

Donald Trump Meets with Families of Americans Killed by Illegal Aliens
3039 comments · 7 hours ago

Crowd Lining Up Around the Block for Donald Trump Phoenix Event
754 comments · 2 hours ago

Photos, Videos: Protesters Square Off Outside Donald Trump Los Angeles Speech
2632 comments · 18 hours ago

California AG: Trump’s Comments Against Illegal Immigration Are ‘Ignorant’
584 comments · 6 hours ago

Trump Campaign Growing in Key States, Moves Arizona Event ‘Due to Overwhelming Response’
2590 comments · 1 day ago

Poll: Donald Trump Leads The Pack as GOP Frontrunner
4556 comments · 2 days ago

Obama: ‘A Person’s Zip Code Shouldn’t Decide Their Destiny’
551 comments · 9 hours ago

Marco Rubio Ducks, Dodges, Weaves Through Las Vegas, Skips Off Stage Without Conducting Planned Q&A With Libertarians
1184 comments · 17 hours ago

Harris-Perry: Hurricane Katrina Impact Would Have Been Different if Victims Were More Racially Diverse
203 comments · 3 hours ago

Fox News National

Woman stranded in desert after wrong turn was prepared to die in car next to her husband11 Jul 2015, 2:05 PM PDT

A Franchisee Who's Literally Building His Dream Business From the Ground Up11 Jul 2015, 1:00 PM PDT

Lawyer wants charges dismissed against Massachusetts mom who lived in home with dead babies11 Jul 2015, 12:32 PM PDT

Search resumes for missing baby in sparsely populated area near her Northern California home11 Jul 2015, 12:17 PM PDT

Rhode Island beach evacuated after report of a possible explosion, 1 injury11 Jul 2015, 12:08 PM PDT
If you find the news channel with the lowest ratings you'll likely be watching the most accurate news outlet.
(07-11-2015, 07:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All of the issues complained about in this Breitbart story WERE covered by the media.  I saw the coverage myself.

This is ridiculous.

Meh, no one want's to hear you silly anecdotal evidence, fred..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-11-2015, 08:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If you find the news channel with the lowest ratings you'll likely be watching the most accurate news outlet.

That would be MSNBC so, ummmm, no.
(07-11-2015, 08:39 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: That would be MSNBC so, ummmm, no.

Oh, CNN must have crawled out of the basement.  Good for them?
Watch BBC for our news. They are the only ones that have no reason to be biased
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]