Poll: Should our Network News stop acting like tabloid TV, and go back to presenting "hard news"?
This poll is closed.
Yes
100.00%
6 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does "big media" pick the wrong focus?
(07-11-2015, 09:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Watch BBC for our news. They are the only ones that have no reason to be biased

Aside from the fact it's a liberal, UK perspective...their opinion/commentary is going to be no less biased or uninformed unless they regularly digest a wide range of US new sources (except for embedded correspondents, obviously).  In other words, if they get all their facts from HuffPo it's impossible for their opinion to be truly unbiased.

It takes actual work to gain informed, unbiased opinions.  If the clowns reporting on sports are too lazy to do it, then I have very low confidence that actual news people aren't.
(07-11-2015, 09:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Watch BBC for our news. They are the only ones that have no reason to be biased

BBC America for Star Trek: The Next Generation marathons on Friday and Saturday.

Other than that, I don't watch much tv any more with the exception of The Big Bang Theory, Supernatural and Street Outlaws plus AHC, TCM, AMC, History...mostly just the cable channels.

EDIT: I broke 100 posts!
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(07-11-2015, 08:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, no one want's to hear you silly anecdotal evidence, fred..

The word "all" generally means it is not anecdotal.

Learn how to use a dictionary.
(07-12-2015, 11:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The word "all" generally means it is not anecdotal.

Learn how to use a dictionary.

Ok, so now YOU are an authority on news sources and coverage??

fred, stick with anecdotal..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-11-2015, 07:18 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The poll is a loaded question. I think CNN and Fox devote plenty of time for hard news.

A 24 hour station can't be too much hard news. There just isn't enough.

lets not forget a 24 "hard news" channel would probably fail. There's no use for it.
Ratings come from banter and stories you can relate to. They're still a business.

It's better than gov't controlled news 
So this article's issue is that they do not think the news is covering enough big stories? Their proof is that they cite stories where the person who "broke it" was not one of the major American news media outlets?

Is it really relevant WHO breaks it as long as everyone else covers it once it breaks?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-12-2015, 11:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, so now YOU are an authority on news sources and coverage??

fred, stick with anecdotal..

I am an authority on what I have seen with my own eyes.

All of those stories were covered by the "mainstream media".

Are you really trying to claim that they were not?
(07-12-2015, 12:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am an authority on what I have seen with my own eyes.

All of those stories were covered by the "mainstream media".

Are you really trying to claim that they were not?

What I am claiming is, with you being a person so quick to dismiss parole evidence as "anecdotal", it seems hypocritical that you would rely on same..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-12-2015, 12:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What I am claiming is, with you being a person so quick to dismiss parole evidence as "anecdotal", it seems hypocritical that you would rely on same..

When I use the term "anecdotal" I am referring to the use of one isolated story to try and prove a larger premise. e.g. "An illegal immigrant killed someone in San Francisco therefore most illegal immigrants are violent criminals".  

In this case I didn't just pick one single example.  I referred to every single example listed in the Breitbart article.  
The first step to any revolution is to control the media.

Ratings drive the stories. Period.

Each of the cable "news" channels are trying to fill a niche...not report the news.

And the odds of that changing any time soon are none.

[Image: Screen-Shot-2015-04-09-at-2.21.37-PM.png]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
No question they do......the only real question is, is it by design?

Y'all notice how that TPP was hardly mentioned during all of the gay marriages and flag banning?

"Better send those refunds..."

Part of the issue with Dylann Roof and how he obtained the gun, with respect to reporting on that event, was that it was early on reported widely that he received it as a gift from his father.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]