Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does one say "happy memorial day"...?
If so, happy belated memorial day from strangerland. Belated because I didn't want to put that elsewhere than here yesterday.

Also, while for sure not always agreeing with US politics and military interventions, the guys actually going to the most dangerous places for love of not just their country, but also western values, deserve the utmost respect. Also from non US citizens. The willingness to defend those values and possibly give one's life for it is quite a crucial trait - that it doesn't always work out in the bigger scheme of things is not on the soldiers in the field. They are heroes (black sheep disregarded) in my book and this irrelevant mortal appreciates it.

Also, thanks to everyone's father, grandfather or other relative that helped freeing Europe.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-29-2018, 05:07 AM)hollodero Wrote: If so, happy belated memorial day from strangerland. Belated because I didn't want to put that elsewhere than here yesterday.

Also, while for sure not always agreeing with US politics and military interventions, the guys actually going to the most dangerous places for love of not just their country, but also western values, deserve the utmost respect. Also from non US citizens. The willingness to defend those values and possibly give one's life for it is quite a crucial trait - that it doesn't always work out in the bigger scheme of things is not on the soldiers in the field. They are heroes (black sheep disregarded) in my book and this irrelevant mortal appreciates it.

Also, thanks to everyone's father, grandfather or other relative that helped freeing Europe.

Geeze I never thought about it.  I don't think I say Happy Memorial Day. Doesn't seem appropriate, but I could see people saying it just trying to be friendly.  I know I don't say happy Labor Day or Veterans Day so probably not.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I have never really heard anyone express the sentiment, though I'm sure it has happened around me. Since the day is about the fallen service members, it is just a bit more solemn of a holiday.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Maybe not "happy Memorial Day" so much as "have a good Memorial Day". Doesn't imply that it's a *happy* day, but still gives well wishing.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
I was out on my deck and waved to my neighbor and said "Happy Memorial Day" and something about it just sounded weird. Don't think I'll be repeating it.

Granted, it was my first paid holiday I've had in a while, so I was a little happier than normal. I probably would've done the same with a holiday like Columbus Day or something.
I’m not sure what the appropriate term is. My personal belief is memorials don’t have to be and shouldn’t be sad. We should celebrate their sacrifices and lives. I think most people would prefer that after their death, as opposed to people being sad.
I hear Happy Memorial Day Weekend just because its the first weekend of the year that kicks off summer, and people are traveling or whatnot for the 3 days. But no, for the day itself, I dont hear it.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Well it is a holiday and most view a holiday as positive. Let's face it, we all work a lot, so the idea of being off work to spend time with family and friends is a good thing. I know I was at my parents cooking up some burgers. As far as what I say to people, I generally say have a nice holiday weekend without specifying the actual holiday. I think there are enough reminders on TV to tell us what it is about anyway.
Do we have another merry Christmas vs happy holidays situation on our hands here?
Memorial Day is sort of a hybrid between a holiday and an observance. We tend to think of a holiday as a celebration and an observance as a solemn occasion. We would all certainly agree that remembering our war dead is a solemn occasion. At the same time, I never met a single veteran who would have wanted the living constantly pining over their grave dressed in black. In my opinion, taking the kids out to the beach, having a barbecue, etc. IS honoring the freedom and lifestyle the veterans died protecting. A simple remembrance of the fallen is sufficient. Anything more is self-righteousness.

Do the things you enjoy. Say "Happy Memorial Day" if you want, and do it without guilt. Just take some time and remember their fallen in your heart and what the sacrifice was for, IMO.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(05-29-2018, 02:21 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Memorial Day is sort of a hybrid between a holiday and an observance. We tend to think of a holiday as a celebration and an observance as a solemn occasion. We would all certainly agree that remembering our war dead is a solemn occasion. At the same time, I never met a single veteran who would have wanted the living constantly pining over their grave dressed in black. In my opinion, taking the kids out to the beach, having a barbecue, etc. IS honoring the freedom and lifestyle the veterans died protecting. A simple remembrance of the fallen is sufficient. Anything more is self-righteousness.

Do the things you enjoy. Say "Happy Memorial Day" if you want, and do it without guilt. Just take some time and remember their fallen in your heart and what the sacrifice was for, IMO.

Well said.

[Image: 04ba60ed442401abcaf48b87587f02ef.jpg]
IMO it is 100% appropriate to say Happy Memorial Day and the vast majority of the fallen would want America to view it as a day of celebration instead of a day of solemn remembrance.

WTS, I know some Military personnel that get their panties in a bunch if you say it to them. I simply tell them we can each remember the fallen in our own ways and I mean not disrespect to the fallen. What I really want to tell them is to get the f. over yourself.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

This is probably the appropriate time to offer thoughts and prayers.

There aint nothing happy about it.

Its not a day to thank people for their service either.

Instead of happy memorial day maybe never forget. Or always remember. Forever thankful.

My sister writes me happy memorial day. Im mot going to be a jerk. But its not like we are celebrating the giant zombie bunny that lays eggs or a new year. Plenty of reason to spread cheer. Recognizing the loss of life of shitloads of young people just doesnt seem happy to me
Memorial day is not for vets, it's for vets that gave everything.

I ' ve had many that offered me a beer, for serving. And I thank them, but remind them that the holiday of is for those that gave their life.