Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the FA signings give us a clearer pic of the draft ?
The Bengals went out of their comfort zone today
And made 2 huge FA signings in Reader and Waynes.
Both on the defensive side of the ball.
So now do those moves give us a better picture
Of what positions they target after Burrow ?

I think in RD 2 the Bengals are looking at best LB or WR
Available. AJ Green is only signed through 2020.
John Ross is a FA after this year.
It's possible those 2 are gone after this season.
I'm leaning toward WR in RD 2.
Then in RD 3 best LB.
They seem to be high on their current OGs.
I would not be surprised if the Bengals drafted another OT
Between RDS 4 and 5.
Reply/Quote
I think they go LB in the 2nd. I know the rumors are that they want to trade down in the 2nd to acquire more picks, but the failed LB signings are basically saying to the league that the Bengals will be looking at LBs in the 2nd round. I wouldn't be surprised if someone traded up a few spots back into the 1st round to take a LB expecting us to grab one. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals sign a safety in FA it would help. If not, round 2 will either be backer, wr, or safety. If mims is there they take him, if Queen is there they take him at #33. If both Queen and McKinney is there, it will be tough but I think they will go with Queen.

If they decide to go with Mims in round 2, then either Dye or Harrison in round 3.

The coaching staff seem to like Bartch OT/G so i would not surprised to see him a Bengal to play either guard position. But I think Bengals will sign another defensive player or two in FA. Ha Ha Dix would help tremendously. Even Vonn Bell would help against the run.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 11:38 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The Bengals went out of their comfort zone today

I think in RD 2  the Bengals are looking at best LB or WR
Then in RD 3 best LB.
Between RDS 4 and 5.
I'm with ya Impact,

I think they will go WR in Round 2. Hopefully Jefferson, Burrow's buddy from LSU drops to 2nd round. I agree in Rd 3 as well with LB. I'd hope that Harrison from OSU is still there. That would be the pick. Round 4 could be OG or TE.
I'd like them to sign Ebron in FA still....Burrow can't just be throwing to Uzomah and Sample next year. Ughhh!
Reply/Quote
My guess in round 2 would be a safety, linebacker, or tackle.  I've seen mocks where Delpit, Mckinney, Murray, and Queen all fall to that spot.  I think they'd be better off trading down, picking up an extra 3rd rounder and taking Isaiah Wilson OT to play right tackle.  Just my personal opinion.  There are quite a few safeties and linebackers in the 3rd and 4th that would be very serviceable.   Also, they don't have to go WR till next year if necessary.  Ross could re-sign, Tate could break out or one of the UDFA's from last year could emerge.  I personally like Stanley Morgan Jr. to be a very productive WR with Burrow at QB if he gets a chance.  
Reply/Quote
We'll see how free agency continues to shake out, but I could see this year's draft being almost entirely offense, with a LB thrown in where it's a value choice (Queen or Murray at 33, Harrison or Gay Jr at 65 or maybe Davis-Gaither at 107) and maybe a late round DE and corner.

But I expect at least 1 WR, at least 1 OL (but probably two) and at least 1 QB (Burrow) taken in this draft.
Reply/Quote
LB or OL in round 2 depending on who is available. The WR class is so deep I can't see them going that route that early when you can get a normal 2nd round talent in later rounds this year.
Reply/Quote
Yes they're going offense

I'd bet they'll grab a couple more D guys in free agency before it's over. But they're go go heavy O in the draft. We have an offensive minded HC. We haven't been able to do anything on O for quite some time, can't sustain drives to rest D, can't score in red zone and so on.

If the right guy at LBer falls to 33 they may grab him ? But I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 5 offensive guys.
Reply/Quote
So 2011 was the last time we needed a QB and got Dalton obviously. That was the year where I felt it was kind of a coin toss in round 1 with both Green and Patrick Peterson available. The Bengals took Green, the WR. This is the same draft they added Boling in round 4. So they went Green, Dalton, Moch, and then Boling. Three of the 1st four picks went offense, Andy included. They added Whalen later in the draft. I would say they did a good job helping Andy that draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 11:50 AM)Goalpost Wrote: So 2011 was the last time we needed a QB and got Dalton obviously.  That was the year where I felt it was kind of a coin toss in round 1 with both Green and Patrick Peterson available.  The Bengals took Green, the WR.  This is the same draft they added Boling in round 4. So they went Green, Dalton, Moch, and then Boling. Three of the 1st four picks went offense, Andy included.  They added Whalen later in the draft.  I would say they did a good job helping Andy that draft.
Agreed. As good as Burrow was with his teammates on offense, I'd hope that one or even 2 of his boys can join him on the Bengals.
It would only help ease their transition together into the NFL.
His best friend on the team was TE Moss. He may be available in the 4th round now since he needed foot surgery.
I'd take WR Jefferson if he fell to them at #33.
And, Burrow has told NFL teams that his RB Clyde Edwards was the best player he's ever played with including OSU players for 2 years.
His OLinemen seem ok, with Cushenberry being the 1st ranked Center; Lewis and Charles seem okay. But, I'm not a big fan of their line.

I'd take any of those skill guys though in applicable rounds.
Reply/Quote
Agreed with those thinking they'll go offense. Draft Burrow and a cast of players who can protect him and help him succeed.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:44 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I think they go LB in the 2nd. I know the rumors are that they want to trade down in the 2nd to acquire more picks, but the failed LB signings are basically saying to the league that the Bengals will be looking at LBs in the 2nd round. I wouldn't be surprised if someone traded up a few spots back into the 1st round to take a LB expecting us to grab one. 

I get that the tea leaves are lining up this way, but I'd caution planning around the 2nd being devoted to a LB.  Not only for the leap factor you wisely mentioned, but the freedom to take BPA at a premium position.

They went hard after 2 LB's, so I assume they'll go into the draft with at least Vigil and a C level LB rather than bare.  I'd like for them to end up with  LB like Queen, but my draft plan wouldn't depend on it.
Reply/Quote
Definitely still have a huge need at linebacker. Chances of a middle linebacker dropping to us in the second aren't great. Pulling off some sort of trade is our only hope to solve this problem this year.

We need another guard/tackle to develop and push what we have. I'd say a 3rd or 4th round pick at guard.

In the second if middle linebacker is out of the question, I'd target a safety that falls or an outside linebacker/edge player.

This is a deep crop of wideouts. We could get a good one in the 4th or 5th to develop. With Ross and AJ on the last year of deals, it's a good idea to add someone. I wouldn't use a high pick though. We have other holes we need to fill first to make us better out of the gate. I like our WR room for the upcoming year. We just need to add another promising wideout to develop and learn this year.

I'd like to add a corner at some point for depth, maybe in the 4th/5th round.

To sum up our holes: middle linebacker, edge, guard/tackle being the biggest. Safety and corner in there as well, but not immediate needs. WR needed as developmental.
In all likelihood we get an edge player or safety in the 2nd, a guard/linebacker in the 3rd, CB 4th, WR 5th (based on bpa)
We're likely still left with a huge hole at middle linebacker to be filled next year with a high pick or free agent. Maybe they can strike gold with a mid round linebacker. We'll see.

We could be a better team next year, but will still have some big needs to be filled. I'm guessing we are at least a year away from contending as our line develops and we add linebackers to solve that problem.
Reply/Quote
I think they’ll go BPA, who knows what position that will be until the pick comes up.
Reply/Quote
Just don't see a LB at #33. The way things are shaping up, there will be too many better players at other positions that you cant pass up.
Reply/Quote
The problem is LB has been the weakest link on the defense for 10+ seasons. At some point the team needs difference makers at LB, and not plodders who can’t cover. TE’s and RB’s have embarrassed this defense. Fix it.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
XSF doesn't (or shouldn't) mean the RG spot is solidified. After Burrow, OG and LB are clearly biggest needs for Bengals.
CB and NT are set now, which is good though.

I'd expect a LB and/or OG taken on Day 2 of the draft. I think WR can wait until Rd 4-5.
Depending on who is available at 33, it might be best for Bengals to trade down to get an extra Day 2 pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We need LBs and at least a cb and safety.

You cant do everything in a year, but they really need to draft or sign more players to fill vacant holes.
Reply/Quote
Feels like there will be quite a few good players there at 33. I could see them trading back a few picks and grabbing some extra draft capital. With trades and all, it would be nice to get a lot of later lottery tickets for the roster to potentially develop.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 11:38 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The Bengals went out of their comfort zone today

I think in RD 2  the Bengals are looking at best LB or WR
Then in RD 3 best LB.
Between RDS 4 and 5.

It sure does give us a clearer picture, especially with us adding Sua'-Filo at Guard and Mackenzie Alexander another Corner.

Thinking the same as you that either WR, LB, OT or Safety will be the focus at 33 now depending who falls.
Reply/Quote