Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the Oline need to beef up?
To dominate the AFCN? Or is efficiency the key?

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/5/19/11701998/bengals-offensive-line-among-skinniest-in-nfl
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Depends. If they want to go full power, then bigger OL are desired. If they want to zone block, then more athletic is key. Either way works well, you just have to have the right players that are able to execute what it is that you want to accomplish.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 08:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Depends.  If they want to go full power, then bigger OL are desired.  If they want to zone block, then more athletic is key.  Either way works well, you just have to have the right players that are able to execute what it is that you want to accomplish.

Precisely, and from what we saw last year i like our skinny guys.

No need for monsters if they are not technically sound or cannot push DL around and hold at the point of attack.

I saw some good stuff from Fisher and Ogbuehi as rookies. Athletes that looked sound technically.

Andre Smith looked skinnier last year and it didn't help him out though. We will see how the young guys hold up.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 07:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: To dominate the AFCN? Or is efficiency the key?

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/5/19/11701998/bengals-offensive-line-among-skinniest-in-nfl

Seemed to work for the Panthers and Broncos.
Reply/Quote
It's a passing league you need to be more athletic then big.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We need this guy on the o-line.

[Image: 5525a478185ec.image.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 11:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We need this guy on the o-line.

Or in goal for the Rangers
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 11:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We need this guy on the o-line.

(05-20-2016, 11:59 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Or in goal for the Rangers

Or in goal for the US Soccer Team
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 12:46 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: Or in goal for the US Soccer Team

Just the Men's team, they are absolute rubbish.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Nah.....we just need fresh eyes in the position coach ranks.... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
14.4 pounds from the heaviest? Really? Divide that by just the starting 5 comes out to about 2.96 pounds each.. Yeah, give them each a twinkie before games..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
This is definitely a new approach for the Bengals. Didn't seem that long ago we had one of the bigger lines. Preferring the big power players.

3 of our starting 5 under 310lbs. The guy we just drafted Westerman is listed at 298. So I would say we have a new model we are looking for at OL.

I've always preferred the beef. So hopefully this approach works out.
Reply/Quote
I think that is the new NFL. Slightly smaller lineman that are more athletic and can move. With them eliminating the chop blocks guys have to be able to get over and make their blocks no more diving at knees.
Reply/Quote
Here are the league stats for passing yds/g and rushing yds/g and the bubbles represent the size of the OL.  I know there are a lot of variables such as how good is the QB and how good is the RB.  However, I don't see much of a trend if larger OL are better at rushing and smaller are quicker for pass pro.  

Colored bubbles are AFC north.
[Image: 13083248_10103168505262065_1131626208813...e=57E2A806]
Reply/Quote
I do miss having a guy like Bobbie Williams on the inside for goaline and short yardage situations.
Reply/Quote
Does this study include Andre Smith or exclude him? Put him back in the mix and we have a giant O-line again lol.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 02:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This is definitely a new approach for the Bengals. Didn't seem that long ago we had one of the bigger lines. Preferring the big power players.

3 of our starting 5 under 310lbs. The guy we just drafted Westerman is listed at 298. So I would say we have a new model we are looking for at OL.

His first full offseason program will add 10 pounds of muscle to him.

That's what will happen this summer with Ced and Jake.

After the training camp weigh ins, we'll be back toward the top of the heaviest lines.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 08:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Depends.  If they want to go full power, then bigger OL are desired.  If they want to zone block, then more athletic is key.  Either way works well, you just have to have the right players that are able to execute what it is that you want to accomplish.

True.  And I remember hearing Lap a while back bemoaning the constant slides they were running when they had one of the biggest lines in the league.  He said "line up and move the man in front of you!".  It was pretty surprising the mini rant he was on.  

Fast forward to today's squad and you see more athletic, quicker guys.  Even Whit has slimmed down to less than he was as a rookie.  If the scheme is geared toward that, all the better.  
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 11:12 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: His first full offseason program will add 10 pounds of muscle to him.

That's what will happen this summer with Ced and Jake.

After the training camp weigh ins, we'll be back toward the top of the heaviest lines.

Yeah, the OL can change pretty rapidly once these guys get in the weight room.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 02:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This is definitely a new approach for the Bengals. Didn't seem that long ago we had one of the bigger lines. Preferring the big power players.

Whitworth dropping weight so hes body didn't wear down and Smith leaving really helped our average drop lol
Reply/Quote