Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the Slot Give Dennard a Realistic Chance of Succeeding?
(05-23-2017, 03:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What I would do (playing to everyone's strengths in theory):
Outside CBs = WJ3 and Dennard
inside CB = DK
FS = Shaw
SS = Iloka
nickel LB = Williams

While DK has been solid on the outside, I think he could be a better CB covering inside routes than Dennard because of his height and length.

I like this actually..... Good Post

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 08:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is a tough debate.  I agree with everything Nate is saying here, but then I think is it messing with Dennard to not keep working him in the slot?  

Right now, he is the backup slot and backup outside.  The depth is such that he is only an injury away from being a starter at either spot.  I almost think he is better off being trained to be the backup on the outside to see if he can reach the potential he showed in college.  

I'm sure we will see a lot of him in the preseason on the outside.  Hopefully, he shows he can do it and can be signed for a reasonable amount moving forward.  If not, he becomes another compensatory pick, albeit not a very high one.  

I'm not so sure of that, but I certainly hope so.   I think he has be best chance to be successful there.  I think that's where he should get the majority of his reps.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 03:57 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Dennard is probably best on the outside, but there are 3 players on the outside who are probably better. I wouldn't be mad to see Pac go into the slot in the nickel actually, as I think his short area quickness and aggressiveness work there. But just from what we've seen Shaw does a fine job in the slot. Pac is declining and probably shouldn't be on the team but that's not really relevant now beccause as of now he is better, Dre definitely is going to stay as the LCB, and WJ3 is probably going to be better as well.

Also to whoever said it - Dre in the slot would be the literal opposite of a good idea and utilizing his strengths

I think Pac would be GREAT in the slot for the reasons you say.   And he lays the wood.   He would be a great intimidator there.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 02:28 PM)3wt Wrote: Per Hobson in his early preview of the Defense:

"Can Dennard, in his fourth season after they took him with the 24th pick in the draft, anchor himself in the slot after a career of fits and starts?"

This seems to indicate that the Bengals are going to insist that if Dennard make the team he does it as a slot CB - a place he has failed miserably since he started his injury plagued career with the Bengals.

He made a name for himself at Michigan State as a press corner - to the extent that he was widely considered a first round pick.  When he has played outside for the Bengals he has appeared to play pretty well, certainly better than the slot where he has been routinely toasted.

There are a lot of writers on these boards who know a lot more about how Dennard has played, snap for snap - and who know more about football than I do.   Am I crazy, or are the Bengals going to drive this guy out of football by insisting on playing him at the wrong position?

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/What-to-watch-on-defense/d57cface-8e9c-48d7-86b7-240f0a3274a7 

Sounds like #21 would much rather play outside.  He said "they are different worlds"

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote