Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geno Atkins and AJ Green HOF chances?
Dillon, dust the bus off your cleats...
Reply/Quote
Slim to none for both of them. Hell we're lucky they even took Munoz. The NFL hall of fame is the biggest joke of a "hall of fame" in existence. It's a mere popularity contest, a very exclusive club that the Bengals just aren't allowed to be a part of. Our best chance is probably Chad Johnson because hey, he did TD celebrations and was a popular figure because of his antics.
Reply/Quote
A good comparison for Geno would be Cortez Kennedy (RIP). Kennedy made the HOF after racking up 58 sacks, but only made the playoffs once (with Kitna and Holmgren) and never winning a playoff game. If Kennedy was good enough for the Hall, why not Geno?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Does Dillon go in as a Bengal or Patriot?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 05:13 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Does Dillon go in as a Bengal or Patriot?

I think he's forgiven and moved on. He knows where he made most of his yards, and he always said he loved Bengals fans. That said, with the way ownership treats (or doesn't treat?) former players, maybe he would go in as a Pat. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 02:11 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A good comparison for Geno would be Cortez Kennedy (RIP). Kennedy made the HOF after racking up 58 sacks, but only made the playoffs once (with Kitna and Holmgren) and never winning a playoff game. If Kennedy was good enough for the Hall, why not Geno?
If a guy is being penalized for not winning a playoff game, the only thing that would counter it would be if the guy played well in the losses.  Without even looking, I gotta think very few Bengals have turned in stellar performances. 

To be fair, Geno didn't play in one and was still not himself yet in another.  AJ has missed two, if I remember right.  But has either turned in an all star performance in any of them?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 06:08 PM)McC Wrote: If a guy is being penalized for not winning a playoff game, the only thing that would counter it would be if the guy played well in the losses.  Without even looking, I gotta think very few Bengals have turned in stellar performances. 

To be fair, Geno didn't play in one and was still not himself yet in another.  AJ has missed two, if I remember right.  But has either turned in an all star performance in any of them?

AJ's 4 playoff games:

5-47-0
5-80-0
3-34-0
5-71-1

Geno's 4 playoff games:

4 tackles, 1 sack
3 tackles
3 tackles, 0.5 sacks
3 tackles, 1 sack

I'd say Geno has played surprisingly well. AJ Green's best games aren't even all that great. That can partially be blamed on passing game struggles, but AJ is part of that. If AJ were wide open all the time, I think the QB's probably would've fared better. Maybe the OC just isn't finding ways to help AJ? All that matters to your point though is that AJ Green hasn't produced big playoff numbers, while Geno has.

That said, going back to Cortez Kennedy, he had no stats in his only playoff game. His career is remarkably similar to Geno's. Even with the Pro Bowls and All-Pros. Plus he was even nicknamed "Tez". Geno's nickname is "Taz". Silly, I know, but the similarities are crazy.
Reply/Quote
In my opinion, I think the whole "post season success" and "winning a title" argument is a bunch of crap. I know it matters to some voters, but it shouldn't.

The hall of fame is an individual achievement and it should be treated that way. Why should a player be penalized if hes stuck on a crappy team or franchise for his entire career? Especially if he plays a position like DT who doesn't have the same effect on the team that say a QB has.

This gets brought up in all sports and I think its really dumb and unfair.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 03:43 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Pretty clearly all the best players and contributors in NFL history are in there. The players that are in there who might not be the best in the league were still great players in their era, but also had profound effects on the shape on the NFL. Overall team success is still needed, but if we make a couple of actual playoff runs then those 2 would be shoe ins

Why is T.O. not in the hall of fame then? 

Because his popularity with the voters, thats why. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 10:43 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why is T.O. not in the hall of fame then? 

Because his popularity with the voters, thats why. 

Most definitely an exception because he was such an asshole. I completely agree he should be in the HoF, but it's a different situation. I never said voters can't be petty
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 11:31 AM)eoxyod Wrote: Most definitely an exception because he was such an asshole. I completely agree he should be in the HoF, but it's a different situation. I never said voters can't be petty

I think his chances will go up as time goes by.  Eventually, the personality will be overshadowed by the accomplishments and he'll get in.  He never committed crimes.  But they most certainly will make him wait.

In his generation, not many were more famous than him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 11:49 AM)McC Wrote: I think his chances will go up as time goes by.  Eventually, the personality will be overshadowed by the accomplishments and he'll get in.  He never committed crimes.  But they most certainly will make him wait.

In his generation, not many were more famous than him.

He will get in next year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 11:31 AM)eoxyod Wrote: Most definitely an exception because he was such an asshole. I completely agree he should be in the HoF, but it's a different situation. I never said voters can't be petty

Sports writers can most definitely be petty (no offense to Jim O). Just look at how Russell Westbrook wasn't a unanimous 1st team All-NBA after averaging a triple-double. 
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 02:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sports writers can most definitely be petty (no offense to Jim O). Just look at how Russell Westbrook wasn't a unanimous 1st team All-NBA after averaging a triple-double. 

Ken Griffey, Jr.  was not unanimous.  Would love to ask the asshole who didn't vote for Junior what the hell he was thinking.

Reply/Quote