Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the Suck Extend to next year?
(11-28-2016, 12:01 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Assume Marvin keeps his job (we all know he's here to stay.)

Will the Bengals turn it around next year.

Young players might get better, Peko may be replaced with Biillings, etc.

There's a lot of factors to keep in mind. Assume we extend Rex, Zeit, and Dre.

I honestly don't know,  right now there are holes across the board which makes me think it'll take more than a good draft next year to fix.

I've been comfortable with the no big splashes in FA approach but think there may be a case for it this year.

OL , DL, LB all need serious attention in that they need more than one player in my opinion to get back to playoff calibre.  You then have specific positions which need to be addressed K, WR2, CB if Dre goes.

Its quite a big shopping list and that's before you even talk about the position coaches.

If Marv stays as per your OP then it will likely still be a predominantly conservative approach to building the roster...and i think that there are too many holes to be solved - so maybe 6-8 wins , no playoffs
Reply/Quote
I doubt we can bounce back next year. We have too many issues at this point. A good draft wont help because those players wont see the field under Marvin and free agency doesn't work well with us for some reason. We may have slipped back to the 90's and just haven't realized it yet.

My response might be different next week, but right now I feel in a state of mourning.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 08:36 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I doubt we can bounce back next year. We have too many issues at this point. A good draft wont help because those players wont see the field under Marvin and free agency doesn't work well with us for some reason. We may have slipped back to the 90's and just haven't realized it yet.

My response might be different next week, but right now I feel in a state of mourning.

If Marvin stays, we won't ever be consistently bad like we were in the 90s. He has shown he can build a roster. However, this team clearly won't go to the next level under him either. So we can try to clean house and hope for the best or continue to almost be good enough to be one of the best teams in the league.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 08:53 AM)treee Wrote: If Marvin stays, we won't ever be consistently bad like we were in the 90s. He has shown he can build a roster. However, this team clearly won't go to the next level under him either. So we can try to clean house and hope for the best or continue to almost be good enough to be one of the best teams in the league.

Exactly. But we need to roll the dice on somebody else. Being mediocre and failing miserably on the big stage isn't cute anymore. It's embarrassing. Sticking with someone we know won't get us over the hump is asinine. Gotta take a chance on being better 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 08:59 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Exactly. But we need to roll the dice on somebody else. Being mediocre and failing miserably on the big stage isn't cute anymore. It's embarrassing. Sticking with someone we know won't get us over the hump is asinine. Gotta take a chance on being better 

After what will inevitably be our 2nd roster rebuild in 6 years I gotta agree with you. 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 12:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We'll have a 3rd place schedule which could help.

Schedule is easily already available.

HOME:
Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Houston, Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit, AFC East*
AWAY:
Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Green Bay, Minnesota, AFC West*
* Team from that division that finishes in the same spot in the 2016 standings.

When you factor a 3rd place finish that means the AFC East is likely the Bills/Dolphins and AFC West Chiefs/Broncos none of which will be easy.

Next years Schedule doesn't look too nice either tbh :) Could be a lot worse though.
Reply/Quote
Way too many holes for a quick fix. We need to sign some high impact free agents and have a stellar draft next season, however the Bengals don't sign high impact free agents and haven't had a good draft in a while. Even if we draft a stud rookie he probably won't see the field till year 3.
Reply/Quote
I dont see it. Just too many holes on the offensive and defensive lines. Our defense has no play makers and guys are getting old.

I would bet on 8-8 next year. Better than this year but nothing special.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
This team has a lot of unknowns and holes to fill going into next year. I personally think "the suck" could easily extend for a couple years, and then we better hope that the draft picks start to pan out.
Reply/Quote