Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doesn’t seem to be a lot of oline depth this year
Center John Michael Schmitz from Minnesota is returning for his 6th season at Wisconsin.
Arguably the #2 center in the draft class.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My top 3 that I think will be available are Tyler Lindbaum, Charles Cross (who has been sooooo underrated in draft circles so far) and Trevor Penning.
I think there's a fair amount of depth here, this is hardly a Billy Price year
Reply/Quote
Charles Cross is impressive, Trevor Penning looks like has has soft hands and takes bad angles.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 08:09 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: Charles Cross is impressive, Trevor Penning looks like has has soft hands and takes bad angles.

Charles Cross is a scheme dependent left tackle only prospect. He is a very raw run blocker that is used to cut off blocking. All the athletic traits you want but going into a wide zone and switching to right the strong side run blocker could be growing pains.

There is nothing soft about Trevor Penning he has smooth feet and lightning fast hands. He has played on both the right and left sides and even a season at RG. Nasty demeanor between the whistles. His issues are he needs to clean up the timing of his punch and take better angles in space.

For the Bengals I like Penning because scheme and position versatility and late in games you can see defenders not wanting fully engage with him because they are tired of getting knocked over and jumped on pushed over piles etc...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 05:57 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm a big Nicholas Petit-Frere fan for the Bengals. He can be plugged into any system or play either side. Exactly what the Bengals need... of course he's starting to climb draft boards. I've seen him as high as 11 and inside the top 15 alot lately.

Charles Cross is my "big ?" Prospect of the year. He comes out of that Mike Leach system that doesnt ask much run blocking so while he has been 100x the pass blocker he was in 2020 we still have no idea what he will look like as a run blocker. He's the same as Andre Dillard.

Can we please stay away from Ohio state olineman just for a bit. I’d much rather have a pass protector who body guarded for a pocket passer not a runner. Runners tend to make offensive lineman look better than they really are imo.
Reply/Quote
Rumor has it that one of the NY teams will probably overdraft cross
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 09:47 PM)Synric Wrote: Charles Cross is a scheme dependent left tackle only prospect. He is a very raw run blocker that is used to cut off blocking. All the athletic traits you want but going into a wide zone and switching to right the strong side run blocker could be growing pains.

There is nothing soft about Trevor Penning he has smooth feet and lightning fast hands. He has played on both the right and left sides and even a season at RG. Nasty demeanor between the whistles. His issues are he needs to clean up the timing of his punch and take better angles in space.

For the Bengals I like Penning because scheme and position versatility and late in games you can see defenders not wanting fully engage with him because they are tired of getting knocked over and jumped on pushed over piles etc...

I think Penning is a good fit and more likely to be available.

In a perfect world, I want a ready made free agent to man that position.  If I can't have that, Penning may be the next best option.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 03:03 PM)JoyrideJoe15 Wrote: Can we please stay away from Ohio state olineman just for a bit.  I’d much rather have a pass protector who body guarded for a pocket passer not a runner.  Runners tend to make offensive lineman look better than they really are imo.

Why?  Our quarterback rarely stays put and is a monster when he's moving around.  Making his linemen look better while moving around almost describes Joey B to a tee.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 03:03 PM)JoyrideJoe15 Wrote: Can we please stay away from Ohio state olineman just for a bit.  I’d much rather have a pass protector who body guarded for a pocket passer not a runner.  Runners tend to make offensive lineman look better than they really are imo.

NPF didn't block for a running QB this year.
Stroud is the definition of a pocket passer.
71.9% completion for 4435 yards with 44 TDs to only 6 INTs.
Rushing stats - 32 attempts for -20 yards. Yes, that's a negative lol.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 10:41 AM)samhain Wrote: Why?  Our quarterback rarely stays put and is a monster when he's moving around.  Making his linemen look better while moving around almost describes Joey B to a tee.

I think he means literally a dual-threat QB, not a scrambling passer.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I don't see where Cross is underrated by draft guys. Most have him going in the top 15. Regardless, I don't think he's a good fit at all here since he's going to be playing RT.

As far as moving up for a lineman, I don't think it's necessary since the need at tackle on this team is RT. I'd rather pick a true RT if we are going to go that route.
Reply/Quote

NPF is a hard pass for me.  Wyatt Davis got a lot of support last year and couldn't get on the field for the Vikings.  Reports out of TC were that he had absolutely no idea who he was supposed to block.  That's a big flag because the Vikings run a similar outside zone blocking scheme to ours.  If Davis couldn't pick it up, there's a good chance NPF can't, either.
Reply/Quote
Put me in as a solid no on NPF. No Ohio State offensive lineman for me.

I think RT is more of an issue than guard, assuming Spain comes back. I doubt we give up on Carman yet, and Hopkins is inked for 1 more year.

Now, all that could change if one of the higher rated guys falls in our lap. At tackle, it seems very unlikely. Neal, Ekwonu, and Cross are all likely gone before we pick. Which leaves Penning as the near consensus next best tackle. Though I have seen some sites (Jerimiah, McShay) have guys like Darian Kinnard (Kentucky), NPF (OSU), Bernhard Raimann (Central Michigan), and even Faalele (Minnesota) going in round 1.

I would think we'd take Penning (if he's there) unless there is a tier 1 guy available at another position: Linderbaum at C, Kenyon Green at OG, Dean or Lloyd at LB, Leal at DT, Sauce at CB, or another CB/DE we really like who fell (Booth, Karlaftis, Ojabo, etc).

Beyond the 2nd round tackles listed above, there is not a lot of IOL depth. Zion Johnson from BC is pretty highly rated.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 01:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: NPF is a hard pass for me.  Wyatt Davis got a lot of support last year and couldn't get on the field for the Vikings.  Reports out of TC were that he had absolutely no idea who he was supposed to block.  That's a big flag because the Vikings run a similar outside zone blocking scheme to ours.  If Davis couldn't pick it up, there's a good chance NPF can't, either.

I was a big fan of Wyatt Davis he started slow in training camp then ended up being the best rookie offensive lineman during the pre-season. He just couldnt break into the lineup because the Vikings also really liked Oli Udoh who played well but had ALOT of penalties.

As for Nicolas Petit-Frere I'm not writing off a draft prospect because of the school he goes too. He has issues but most of it stems from being flip flopped back and forth from Left Tackle to Right Tackle. They would actually move him to Right Tackle to be the front side run blocker then back to Left...Crazy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Latest mocks:

Kiper (ESPN) has us taking Penning.
Jeremiah (NFL.com) has Linderbaum falling to us.

McShay's latest is from a month ago and has us picking at #16 and getting Linderbaum. But we are picking 25, at best, now.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:39 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Latest mocks:

Kiper (ESPN) has us taking Penning.
Jeremiah (NFL.com) has Linderbaum falling to us.

McShay's latest is from a month ago and has us picking at #16 and getting Linderbaum. But we are picking 25, at best, now.

Dane Brugler my favorite draft guy has them going 1. Trent McDuffie 2. Rasheed Walker which I wouldnt hate.

Reply/Quote