Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dolegala shines!
UDFA QB prospect Jake Dolegala of FCS Central Connecticut St. made the most of his opportunity today. The 6'7" cannon armed QB stole the show on the final day of Bengals mandatory mini camp. If he keeps this up when training camp comes around, he just might bump Ryan Finley for a roster spot.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2019/06/13/cincinnati-bengals-rookie-fc-dolegala-shines-final-day-nfl-minicamp/1445707001/?fbclid=IwAR27wWHTxUhK99AJ9gp1YdCuFENCmhXWBUGYBzstVAxphVTPNVxeSpZkAbM

Quote:It was clear who the star of the final day of minicamp was for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Quarterback Jake Dolegala, a college free agent out of Central Connecticut State, made some NFL-type throws in an unscripted 11-on-11 scrimmage. Dolegala is big (6-foot-7, 242 pounds) with a big arm.

He also showed nice touch, particularly on a touchdown pass to receiver Josh Malone on the final play. There was only one place for Dolegala to put the ball, and he put it there.

“That boy looked good,” running back Joe Mixon said. “I like him. He’s nice. He’s nice.”

Thursday was a day for the players deep on the depth chart. Dolegala had one rep in the two practices before Thursday.

Quote:“He had a great college career,” head coach Zac Taylor said. “We saw some good things on tape. That’s why we brought him in. He’s stayed focused. It’s not easy when you don’t get any reps, and you have to come out and compete with the guys. I thought Jake did a great job. That’s why he’s here. It’s always good to see those guys who don’t get a ton of reps get out there and show why they’re in the NFL.

“It was a good day for Jake.”

Dolegala is the fourth quarterback in camp behind starter Andy Dalton, fourth-year backup Jeff Driskel and fourth-round pick Ryan Finley. Finley got the other reps Thursday. It was no contest who was better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
our new Backup QB... Finley to PS.. (as it currently stands long way to go lol)
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2019, 06:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: our new Backup QB... Finley to PS.. (as it currently stands long way to go lol)

Yep, a long way to go.  However, in light of all the negative reports we've been reading about Finley, I find this to be some surprisingly good news.

It seems like most every year, the board regulars latch onto one late round/UDFA guy and hope for the best to happen.  Usually it's some WR with about as much chance of making the 53, as I do of making the US Olympic Weight Lifting team.  So, why not a QB?  Dolegala is a National Champion, an imposing physical presence at 6'7" 242#, has a cannon for an arm, and can also take some off of it and show a little touch.  Not to mention, he stepped right on in there and did something to impress the coaches, after having to stand around and watch for 21/2 days...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Well I hope they give him a legit shot at a roster spot by giving him more reps in training camp. Would suck if a promising prospect is buried with the fourth string.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
This gets as much credit as Finley looking bad during previous workouts.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2019, 08:10 PM)OSUfan Wrote: This gets as much credit as Finley looking bad during previous workouts.

Yeah, likely so.  However, Dolegala at least showed a little poise and composure, by stepping right in and doing good things, after having to sit and spectate for 2.5 days.  Now, if he falls on his face in preseason games, looks like the game is too big for him, etc?  I'll be ready to throw that wet blanket on him.  

As for now, it's June.  The Bengals have as much chance of winning it all as any other team, so I'm going to enjoy the optimistic vibe for a while.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2019, 08:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, likely so.  However, Dolegala at least showed a little poise and composure, by stepping right in and doing good things, after having to sit and spectate for 2.5 days.  Now, if he falls on his face in preseason games, looks like the game is too big for him, etc?  I'll be ready to throw that wet blanket on him.  

As for now, it's June.  The Bengals have as much chance of winning it all as any other team, so I'm going to enjoy the optimistic vibe for a while.

Yep

Who knows ? Perhaps he'll flop like a fish come preseason ? Or maybe the football gods are paying us back for Greg Cook and in a season or two the NFL world will be saying Patrick who ?
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2019, 08:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, likely so.  However, Dolegala at least showed a little poise and composure, by stepping right in and doing good things, after having to sit and spectate for 2.5 days.  Now, if he falls on his face in preseason games, looks like the game is too big for him, etc?  I'll be ready to throw that wet blanket on him.  

Point being most were ready to kick Finley to the curb because a week or so ago they said he did not look great. Which I found completely ridiculous. I think Dolegala is a very good prospect who just has not been tested against major competition. It would not shock me if he were to look outstanding in the preseason just like it would not shock me for Finley to look good. It is just to early to make any real judgements.

I am all for the optimistic vibe which is why I am not getting all worked up over a May/June report on Ryan Finley.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2019, 09:54 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Point being most were ready to kick Finley to the curb because a week or so ago they said he did not look great. Which I found completely ridiculous. I think Dolegala is a very good prospect who just has not been tested against major competition. It would not shock me if he were to look outstanding in the preseason just like it would not shock me for Finley to look good. It is just to early to make any real judgements.

I am all for the optimistic vibe which is why I am not getting all worked up over a May/June report on Ryan Finley.

Some teams have solid backups at QB, sadly right now we do not, we have 3 major projects which is scry if AD gets hurt.

I get the optimism and hope all 3 backups learn quickly, but my common sense tells me they won't leaving us in a bad way other than AD.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Is it too late to bring back the nickname thread? 

The Dolegala Aquifer

Dolegala make-me-holla

Dolegala borrow-dolla 

Finley had better step it up if he wants to avoid the "Dolegala Queue" 
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2019, 10:42 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Is it too late to bring back the nickname thread? 

The Dolegala Aquifer

Dolegala make-me-holla

Dolegala borrow-dolla 

Finley had better step it up if he wants to avoid the "Dolegala Queue" 

Jake the Ripper

Cool Hand Jake

The Connecticut Cannon
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Giant Dolegala

Sounds promising. I just wonder if he's too tall.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2019, 11:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: Giant Dolegala

Sounds promising. I just wonder if he's too tall.

The historical success of QB's over 6'6 is pretty limited. We will see though, the NFL is always changing. 
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2019, 07:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, a long way to go.  However, in light of all the negative reports we've been reading about Finley, I find this to be some surprisingly good news.

It seems like most every year, the board regulars latch onto one late round/UDFA guy and hope for the best to happen.  Usually it's some WR with about as much chance of making the 53, as I do of making the US Olympic Weight Lifting team.  So, why not a QB?  Dolegala is a National Champion, an imposing physical presence at 6'7" 242#, has a cannon for an arm, and can also take some off of it and show a little touch.  Not to mention, he stepped right on in there and did something to impress the coaches, after having to stand around and watch for 21/2 days...

sounds exactly like a guy that can come in and finish a game after sitting around for however many weeks.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 09:52 AM)Au165 Wrote: The historical success of QB's over 6'6 is pretty limited. We will see though, the NFL is always changing. 

Yes it is. Since you can't even look at a QB anymore without getting flagged, probably not a huge deal.

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 10:01 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yes it is. Since you can't even look at a QB anymore without getting flagged, probably not a huge deal.

The issue is normally that bigger guys have an elongated throwing motion. When your throwing motion is a longer looping motion you are more susceptible to being picked off because the defenders see you wind up and they break. The other issue is the elongated motion tends to lead to getting hit while throwing more, often mid throw, which can cause interceptions and sacks.
Reply/Quote
6'7" ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Back in the day this was basketball height.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 09:52 AM)Au165 Wrote: The historical success of QB's over 6'6 is pretty limited. We will see though, the NFL is always changing. 

have there been a lot? only 1 comes to my mind.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 10:23 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: have there been a lot? only 1 comes to my mind.

Whoops the stat was 6-6 or taller. That list includes...

Paxton Lynch, Brock Osweiler, Mike Glennon, Ryan Mallett, Joe Flacco, Tony Pike, Sean Mannion, Tyler Bray, Jamarcus Russell, Byron Leftwich, Derek Anderson, Nate Sudfeld, John Skelton, Josh Freeman, Jordan Palmer, Eric Ainge, John Navarre
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 10:52 AM)Au165 Wrote: Whoops the stat was 6-6 or taller. That list includes...

Paxton Lynch, Brock Osweiler, Mike Glennon, Ryan Mallett, Joe Flacco, Tony Pike, Sean Mannion, Tyler Bray, Jamarcus Russell, Byron Leftwich, Derek Anderson, Nate Sudfeld, John Skelton, Josh Freeman, Jordan Palmer, Eric Ainge, John Navarre

Don't forget Dan McGwire.
Reply/Quote