Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Dolegala vs Finley
(03-19-2020, 03:02 PM)Destro Wrote: Ryan Fitzpatrick

Is he available? I wouldn't say no.

Also Joe Flacco got cut. I don't completely mind him as a backup.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fitz or Stanton if you were asking me. I've seen enough of Finley, and i prefer having a vet with plenty of experience(Not Dalton) behind Joe.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
For everyone saying Fitzmagic what are you proposing we offer Miami to get him? He’s under contract one more season.

Reply/Quote
Joe Flacco would be a great back-up/mentor. But I am not sure he sees himself as a back-up yet, and probably wouldn't take a smaller deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 03:46 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Is he available? I wouldn't say no.

Also Joe Flacco got cut. I don't completely mind him as a backup.

It's time for Flacco to move on to the next phase of his life.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Does Burrow need a veteran backup? I understand the benefits of having a mentor who can show you the NFL way of life, but Burrow is already 23 years old and just played college football for a big time program. Yes, it's college ball, but university programs like LSU introduce players to the professional side of being an athlete with all the commitments the players have to undertake.

Maybe Burrow has the maturity needed already to learn from coaches and veteran players at different positions? Maybe he doesn't need a clipboard mentor?
Reply/Quote
He may not need the mentor part, but we definitely need a game manager who can win if Burrow gets hurt... ala Fitzy. Flacco is still too butthurt over not starting to be a good backup.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 12:07 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Does Burrow need a veteran backup?  I understand the benefits of having a mentor who can show you the NFL way of life, but Burrow is already 23 years old and just played college football for a big time program.  Yes, it's college ball, but university programs like LSU introduce players to the professional side of being an athlete with all the commitments the players have to undertake.

Maybe Burrow has the maturity needed already to learn from coaches and veteran players at different positions?  Maybe he doesn't need a clipboard mentor?

I think the whole "mentor" thing is kind of overblown.  That is the coaches job.

What we need is a guy who can step in and play despite getting zero reps in practice during the season.  
Reply/Quote
Funny how none of the "experts" here wrote off Finley because of his "noodle arm" after seeing him play in the preseason. Did his arm really get that much weaker between pre-season and the regular season?

And none of us have seen anything from Dolegala that would indicate he would be a competent backup. Last year every NFL scout who watched both Finley and Dolegala ranked Finley higher, but now apparently the Bengal staff will be stupid to stick with Ryan over Jacob.

I was not impressed by what I saw out of Finley, but I am not going to judge a QB by a few games on the worst team in the league his rookie season.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 11:49 AM)McC Wrote: It's time for Flacco to move on to the next pahse of his life.

Acting?

[Image: flacco-skull.jpg]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think the whole "mentor" thing is kind of overblown.  That is the coaches job.

What we need is a guy who can step in and play despite getting zero reps in practice during the season.  

I'm with you on the overblown comment.  I think it's a nice narrative the game of the week broadcaster falls back on when he needs to fill in some air time.  "Well, you know Mahomes greatly benefited by learning from Alex Smith..."  Nah, Mahomes is just a freakishly great talent who was going to win, win, and win no matter who mentored him.  Coaches and other veteran players can provide guidance to a young QB.

Do the Bengals dare draft a 6th or 7th round QB to compete for a backup role?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 12:29 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Acting?

[Image: flacco-skull.jpg]

Could be.  Anything but NFL football.  Has any guy ever gotten more mileage out of a four game playoff run that Flaccid?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
I know he showed a very small sample size, but what about P.J. Walker from the XFL?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 08:45 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Joe Flacco would be a great back-up/mentor. But I am not sure he sees himself as a back-up yet, and probably wouldn't take a smaller deal.

Flacco said it wasn't his job to mentor Drew Lock and the guy seems like he'd be a right jackass if we signed him to hold a clipboard.  I could almost see Flacco going to the Steelers since he could get back at Baltimore and gleefully hope for Pig Ben to break something.

Flacco also publicly called out his coach's playcalling, so if he were on the bench here he'd be one sour bastard. Hard pass on this one.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 01:17 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I know he showed a very small sample size, but what about P.J. Walker from the XFL?

I think there's a very good chance he ends up with a job somewhere.  Jordan Ta'amu too.

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't say Finley is hopeless, but I will say in 2011 when we had our magical rebirth we had Gradkowski as a vet and we didn't bother keeping Dan LeFevouroux.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 01:10 PM)McC Wrote: Has any guy ever gotten more mileage out of a four game playoff run that Flaccid?

I can't think of any "average" QB who ever had that kind of a run.  It was pretty damn impressive.  285 yards per game, 11 td, 0 int, 117.2 rating

And, unfortunately for the Ravens, it came just when they had to negotiate a new contract.  At the time he had 9 playoff wins in just 5 seasons, and I am sure they were thrilled to lock up a QB who could perform like that in the postseason.  

He only made the playoffs one more time in the 7 years since then and just won one game.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I can't think of any "average" QB who ever had that kind of a run.  It was pretty damn impressive.  285 yards per game, 11 td, 0 int, 117.2 rating

And, unfortunately for the Ravens, it came just when they had to negotiate a new contract.  At the time he had 9 playoff wins in just 5 seasons, and I am sure they were thrilled to lock up a QB who could perform like that in the postseason.  

He only made the playoffs one more time in the 7 years since then and just won one game.

Agreed.  I think people really go overboard in ragging on Flacco and the Ravens for that contract.  I can't quite imagine Burrow tearing through the playoffs, hoisting the Lombardi, and being a SB MVP in his 5th year and Bengals fans demanding that Mike Brown let him walk in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I can't think of any "average" QB who ever had that kind of a run.  It was pretty damn impressive.  285 yards per game, 11 td, 0 int, 117.2 rating

That definitely proved timing is everything,

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 01:36 PM)McC Wrote: That definitely proved timing is everything,

Somewhat...it also shows why teams don't often let QBs who have won at least 1 playoff game in their first 4 years go into a contract year without a contract.  We are all hoping and praying the Bengals are forced to pony up for a SB winning QB within the next 4  years.
Reply/Quote