Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dominating victory
So can we please stop it with the doom and gloom? Vontaze was the difference tonight. Without him, this game is much closer. I say if he plays the first 3 games, we are at least 3-1 right now.

This team is in its prime, and there is no reason we can't achieve all of our goals at this point. Time to suck it up, and play ball. Our guys have a week and a half of rest to take on a rookie quarterback in what should be our most impactful offensive player's first game back. 3-2 headed into Foxborough sure sounds great. We just need to go out there and prove it.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think we beat both the Steelers and the Broncos. Hell, we almost had the Steelers w/o Burfict. It took the refs to stop us from getting the W. The Broncos probably wouldn't have even score 14 points if we had Burfict. That's how much of a difference I think he makes to the defense.

I think we take on the Cowboys pretty easily. There's a lot of hype there right now, but I don't see it. I think that the 49ers are going to be able to take out the Cowboys this weekend. Dez probably isn't going to play the next couple of weeks so they only have a run game that we have to worry about. If we go 3-3 I think that the last 10 games we could go 9-1 or 8-2 and end up 12-4 or 11-5. If we win against the Patriots just mark us down for the 1 or 2 seed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Listening to Lap on the ride home made me appreciate what happened. As he pointed out, it was a Thursday night game, and those usually exhibit inferior football, anyway. So, no surprise there. And, apart from one Tannehill throw, our defense dominated. And, we got the W. They don't all have to be pretty.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 09:30 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Listening to Lap on the ride home made me appreciate what happened.  As he pointed out, it was a Thursday night game, and those usually exhibit inferior football, anyway.  So, no surprise there.  And, apart from one Tannehill throw, our defense dominated.  And, we got the W.  They don't all have to be pretty.

Hell, from 20 to 20....the offense was dominant too.  No push up front = no run game = tough to punch it in without 85 in the passing game in the red zone......sick play by 18 notwithstanding.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 09:34 AM)Wyche Wrote: Hell, from 20 to 20....the offense was dominant too.  No push up front = no run game = tough to punch it in without 85 in the passing game in the red zone......sick play by 18 notwithstanding.

Fair enough.  At the half Andy was on pace for about 400 yards, so they were able to move the ball even if they couldn't always close the sale.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 09:40 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Fair enough.  At the half Andy was on pace for about 400 yards, so they were able to move the ball even if they couldn't always close the sale.  

Indeed.  I don't want to be too hard on the boys up front, they looked MUCH improved in pass pro, but the run blocking still leaves much to be desired.  That said, a W is a W, I'll take it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 08:59 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: So can we please stop it with the doom and gloom? Vontaze was the difference tonight. Without him, this game is much closer. I say if he plays the first 3 games, we are at least 3-1 right now.

This team is in its prime, and there is no reason we can't achieve all of our goals at this point. Time to suck it up, and play ball. Our guys have a week and a half of rest to take on a rookie quarterback in what should be our most impactful offensive player's first game back. 3-2 headed into Foxborough sure sounds great. We just need to go out there and prove it.

Thank you, nice thread.

This is the thing, once Burfict made that great pass breakup our entire Defense just got fired up and played great
the rest of the night. Watch the Offense once Eifert is back and Ogbuehi starts to settle in at RT. Sure, we still have
Bodine playing terrible at Center but i think that once Zeitler doesn't have to help Og as much he can help Bodine.

Plus, we need to have Hewitt out there with Hill and Gio, this will help the run game.

This team can still make a run for it all once the OL starts playing better. Dalton is definately in his prime and has
played as good as can be expected as the OL tries to come together. Same with Lafell, Boyd and Uzomah, it will
come together. Uzomah just needs to work on the jugg machine cause he has rare talent. Kroft is still coming off
injury and doesn't look 100% yet.

Clarke and Hunt have also been impressive for us. Been a wonderful thing to see these guys improvement.
Reply/Quote
A good win, but, we are going to lose more games than win if they can't figure out how to score in the red zone. That stat went from great last year to pitiful this year. We won't win many kicking field goals instead of scoring touchdowns.....
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 09:50 AM)Wyche Wrote: Indeed.  I don't want to be too hard on the boys up front, they looked MUCH improved in pass pro, but the run blocking still leaves much to be desired.  That said, a W is a W, I'll take it.

It is going to take a change in style of players selected.  Pass blocking is technique, and can be taught.  The ability to move a large human off of the ball takes things like a genuine desire to do it, along with a love of being physical and a genuine enjoyment in the pleasure of overpowering a worthy opponent. 

I believe that Whit, Boling and Zeitler are those type of personalities.  Let's face the fact that Whit is aging, and his body just can't do what it used to, the entire game.  Boling is fantastic, I have zero issues with him or his play.  Zeitler is a run first type of blocker, his problem is that he's sandwiched between a first year Tackle and a very sketchy Center.  Ogbuehi, I have faith in.  He looks to be getting a little better every game.  He likely benefitted immensely from facing the Jets/Steelers/Broncos to open the season.  We all know that nothing works better than getting your butt kicked a few times, to teach a man to put on his big boy pants, and get out there and fight.

Bodine is the one that simply does not fit the mold.  He simply seems unable to blow a man off the ball, gets ran over in pass pro.  At least someone is getting into his head, as I noticed this last game that he wasn't giving up on as many plays after getting initially beat.  Fisher scares me, as well.  He's obviously no where near ready to play any significant time at Tackle, and he looked like a boy among men, when filling in for Boling at LG.  If I were in charge, I would seriously consider trading Fisher, and drafting another LT prospect in the next draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 09:05 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think we beat both the Steelers and the Broncos. Hell, we almost had the Steelers w/o Burfict. It took the refs to stop us from getting the W. The Broncos probably wouldn't have even score 14 points if we had Burfict. That's how much of a difference I think he makes to the defense.

I think we take on the Cowboys pretty easily. There's a lot of hype there right now, but I don't see it. I think that the 49ers are going to be able to take out the Cowboys this weekend. Dez probably isn't going to play the next couple of weeks so they only have a run game that we have to worry about. If we go 3-3 I think that the last 10 games we could go 9-1 or 8-2 and end up 12-4 or 11-5. If we win against the Patriots just mark us down for the 1 or 2 seed.

I would like to see us go into Dallas with the mentality we are going to score at least 30 points (be aggressive offensively) and make the rookie QB put up more than 30.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 10:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It is going to take a change in style of players selected.  Pass blocking is technique, and can be taught.  The ability to move a large human off of the ball takes things like a genuine desire to do it, along with a love of being physical and a genuine enjoyment in the pleasure of overpowering a worthy opponent. 

I believe that Whit, Boling and Zeitler are those type of personalities.  Let's face the fact that Whit is aging, and his body just can't do what it used to, the entire game.  Boling is fantastic, I have zero issues with him or his play.  Zeitler is a run first type of blocker, his problem is that he's sandwiched between a first year Tackle and a very sketchy Center.  Ogbuehi, I have faith in.  He looks to be getting a little better every game.  He likely benefitted immensely from facing the Jets/Steelers/Broncos to open the season.  We all know that nothing works better than getting your butt kicked a few times, to teach a man to put on his big boy pants, and get out there and fight.

Bodine is the one that simply does not fit the mold.  He simply seems unable to blow a man off the ball, gets ran over in pass pro.  At least someone is getting into his head, as I noticed this last game that he wasn't giving up on as many plays after getting initially beat.  Fisher scares me, as well.  He's obviously no where near ready to play any significant time at Tackle, and he looked like a boy among men, when filling in for Boling at LG.  If I were in charge, I would seriously consider trading Fisher, and drafting another LT prospect in the next draft.

Everyone needs to watch Zeitler more closely, he is whiffing at times and not blowing anyone off the ball as well as making mental mistakes all the time (penalties). He needs to call MB and sign a c long term contract so he can focus on football. He is much better than he is playing right now. As for the argument Zeitler and Boling are covering fro Bodine, again a fallacy as I rarely see a guard help Bodine and double team.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 12:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Everyone needs to watch Zeitler more closely, he is whiffing at times and not blowing anyone off the ball as well as making mental mistakes all the time (penalties). He needs to call MB and sign a c long term contract so he can focus on football. He is much better than he is playing right now. As for the argument Zeitler and Boling are covering fro Bodine, again a fallacy as I rarely see a guard help Bodine and double team.

Well, I never mentioned a Guard covering for Bodine.  But yes, a quality Center, that can actually stand up an NFL NT, as well as push one off the ball, is certainly worth the price.  It makes it easier for even average skill players to look good. (see NE Patriots..)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 12:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thank you, nice thread.

This is the thing, once Burfict made that great pass breakup our entire Defense just got fired up and played great
the rest of the night. Watch the Offense once Eifert is back and Ogbuehi starts to settle in at RT. Sure, we still have
Bodine playing terrible at Center but i think that once Zeitler doesn't have to help Og as much he can help Bodine.

Plus, we need to have Hewitt out there with Hill and Gio, this will help the run game.

This team can still make a run for it all once the OL starts playing better. Dalton is definately in his prime and has
played as good as can be expected as the OL tries to come together. Same with Lafell, Boyd and Uzomah, it will
come together. Uzomah just needs to work on the jugg machine cause he has rare talent. Kroft is still coming off
injury and doesn't look 100% yet.

Clarke and Hunt have also been impressive for us. Been a wonderful thing to see these guys improvement.

Hewitt played a lot more in the backfield in this game and we still had trouble getting push.  I don't have access to film to really analyze what's happening in the running game.  In the few frames I could look at on Cincy Jungle I can tell you the line does not seem to be getting to their man and Bodine - who supposedly was playing better - and Ogbuehi have real trouble sustaining blocks.   I really liked it when they used Fisher as a FB in the running game last year.

If Uzomah starts catching the ball - especially contested ones - he is going to be a stud.  He made two really nice blocks on Boyd's catch and run.  The guy has talent.  I can see why they keep playing him the majority of TE snaps

Clark and Hunt have been making an impact this year.  Very excited about this unexpected development.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 12:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bodine playing terrible at Center but i think that once Zeitler doesn't have to help Og as much he can help Bodine.

This is something I see too.  Zeiler has always been decent and now he is trying to play 3 positions.  I hope Og will settle in because as others have said we have to get more push in the running game.
Reply/Quote
Miami is a pretty bad team. And part of what happened to them was self-inflicted. That said, there were times in the game where our defense performed well. I'm still concerned about sloppiness with the offensive line and have questions about our secondary -- especially when not everyone is healthy.

Dallas will tell us a lot I think. And I believe if we play as well as we did against the Jets, we should earn a narrow win against Dallas. That might translate into a 5-3 record through our first 8 games which would be...exactly where we need to be.

Reply/Quote
... O-Line was still bad, Zampese still looked like Bratkowski. Need better play and coaching in those two areas, respectively.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 10:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A good win, but, we are going to lose more games than win if they can't figure out how to score in the red zone. That stat went from great last year to pitiful this year. We won't win many kicking field goals instead of scoring touchdowns.....

To this sentiment...and not necessarily you in particular, I offer this:

People seem to forget how much different this team is than last year's.  We have a new OC, 5 new position coaches, a new RT, and basically a new WR corp save AJ Green. We also suffered alot of training camp injuries causing guys to miss valuable reps together. We also started the season with 2 games on the road, in NY on the anniversary of 9/11 against a jets team with a very good DL, then in pittsburgh. We came home to play the defending SB champs with one of the best D's in the league, then bounced right into a primetime game on only 4 days rest. Through all that, we were missing Burfict for 3/4 of it, and Eifert for all of it.

All that said, we have come through that at 2-2. Take away the refs cutting our drive short in pittsburgh, and three dropped INTs against denver (two of which allowed them to continue drives for TDs), and I'd say we came through a storm in ok shape. 

We are used to the Bengals starting out fast in September....but then usually hanging on at the end of the season. Maybe this year we start slow, the OL gels, things come together, and we are firing on all cylinders come playoffs.

I say, remember from where we are coming this year. Have patience and believe that the system works.

Just my take. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 05:53 PM)Beaker Wrote: To this sentiment...and not necessarily you in particular, I offer this:

People seem to forget how much different this team is than last year's.  We have a new OC, 5 new position coaches, a new RT, and basically a new WR corp save AJ Green. We also suffered alot of training camp injuries causing guys to miss valuable reps together. We also started the season with 2 games on the road, in NY on the anniversary of 9/11 against a jets team with a very good DL, then in pittsburgh. We came home to play the defending SB champs with one of the best D's in the league, then bounced right into a primetime game on only 4 days rest. Through all that, we were missing Burfict for 3/4 of it, and Eifert for all of it.

All that said, we have come through that at 2-2. Take away the refs cutting our drive short in pittsburgh, and three dropped INTs against denver (two of which allowed them to continue drives for TDs), and I'd say we came through a storm in ok shape. 

We are used to the Bengals starting out fast in September....but then usually hanging on at the end of the season. Maybe this year we start slow, the OL gels, things come together, and we are firing on all cylinders come playoffs.

I say, remember from where we are coming this year. Have patience and believe that the system works.

Just my take. 

I mean in 2013, we were 2-2 fresh off of a loss to the Browns (who would go on to finish at 4-12). In 2012, we started 3-5. In 2014, we were shutout by the Colts and were spanked by the Browns. 2011, we started off 1-2 as well.

All in all, we've had some weird/rough stretches before with these ML/AD teams. And in the end we always make the playoffs.

What's gonna matter is if/when we get there.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
O-line still has a ways to go but are improving.

Two of Dalton long receptions were when he was running for his life.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 07:21 PM)Go Cards Wrote: O-line still has a ways to go but are improving.

Two of Dalton long receptions were when he was running for his life.

You cant blame that on the o line. NFL quarterbacks are supposed to be able to throw the ball on the run when outside of the pocket. It's going to be a reoccurring issue for their whole careers.
Reply/Quote