Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don’t Extend Puig
Bleacher Report has quoted Puig as saying that he will have a good year this year because he will try harder now that his contract is up. He said that he hasn’t been working hard the last few years because he was already under contract. The Reds would be lunatics to extend someone with that publicly admitted attitude. He’s playing for a contract and will slack again once he gets one. I know that some guys think that way but to publicly admit that? The Reds would be crazy to extend him.
Reply/Quote
Yea, I'd offer him a qualifying offer and that's it.

If he accepts, we have him on a contract year for 2020. If he declines and signs with someone else, we get a compensatory draft pick, which is basically what we traded to get him in the first place (Downs was a compensatory pick. Gray was a 2nd round pick.)
Reply/Quote
So the old idea of buying him for what he's worth and selling him for half of what he thinks he's worth sounds profitable? Sounds about right..
I'm unsure if what he says gets translated well or even if his words mean exactly as they seem, but unless he can perform as good as all the press indicates he might I doubt it'll be worth it.
One thing is for sure, the guy is a media ho. As long as his antics are in the headlines he seems happy which seldom equates to wins. It would be one thing if he hit .390 every season, but he's far from that type of player. 
I have a hunch Puig was never intended to be in the long term plans anyway. That trade was a way to unload Homer and pick up Wood to replace him...basically a one year rental to unload Bailey's contract..
Still the season has yet to be played out. I kind of doubt Puig will hit much more than .250 if that, but we'll see..  They've got Trammel and Siri (among others) still in the pipeline for the future. Puig isn't the future. He might put a few more fans in the stands, but that's a limited proposition. Reds fans generally don't go to games to watch diva's. I give Reds fans a little credit for having a bit more baseball knowledge than most fan bases.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't care what he says about how hard he works. I would not extend him because he can not stay healthy. He has only had 500 ABs in one season and that was 5 years ago. In the four seasons since then he has averaged 380 ABs and only had 405 last year.
Reply/Quote
I am not a Puig fan. Personally, I'd trade him prior to the trade deadline this summer and hopefully get some good prospects in return. He is not in the long term interest of the Reds it appears.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 12:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: So the old idea of buying him for what he's worth and selling him for half of what he thinks he's worth sounds profitable? Sounds about right..
I'm unsure if what he says gets translated well or even if his words mean exactly as they seem, but unless he can perform as good as all the press indicates he might I doubt it'll be worth it.
One thing is for sure, the guy is a media ho. As long as his antics are in the headlines he seems happy which seldom equates to wins. It would be one thing if he hit .390 every season, but he's far from that type of player. 
I have a hunch Puig was never intended to be in the long term plans anyway. That trade was a way to unload Homer and pick up Wood to replace him...basically a one year rental to unload Bailey's contract..
Still the season has yet to be played out. I kind of doubt Puig will hit much more than .250 if that, but we'll see..  They've got Trammel and Siri (among others) still in the pipeline for the future. Puig isn't the future. He might put a few more fans in the stands, but that's a limited proposition. Reds fans generally don't go to games to watch diva's. I give Reds fans a little credit for having a bit more baseball knowledge than most fan bases.. 

The Reds PR Team have definitely built Puig up to more than he’s been so far in his career. He kinda feels like a Brandon Phillips type personality on steroids. I’ve never been a fan of hotdog players, especially ones that are just above average players. No matter how modern times get, I still believe in the team concept. It’s been reported before that his teammates disliked him, stuff like this is probably why. I’d never knowingly lock up a player that admits that he gives it his all whenever he feels like it.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 01:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't care what he says about how hard he works. I would not extend him because he can not stay healthy. He has only had 500 ABs in one season and that was 5 years ago. In the four seasons since then he has averaged 380 ABs and only had 405 last year.

I agree about his health but if he stayed healthy but admitted that he only works hard in contract years, you’d be cool with that?
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 02:56 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I am not a Puig fan. Personally, I'd trade him prior to the trade deadline this summer and hopefully get some good prospects in return. He is not in the long term interest of the Reds it appears.

This could happen to any of these one year deal players.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 03:22 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I agree about his health but if he stayed healthy but admitted that he only works hard in contract years, you’d be cool with that?

I'd have to see his exact quote, but his best season ever was the third year of a 7 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 03:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd have to see his exact quote, but his best season ever was the third year of a 7 year deal.

Fair enough.
Reply/Quote
Depends on how he plays this year and who we have to replace him. I suspect he’ll be looking for way more money than he’s worth/Reds willing to pay. So, the earlier suggestions of tendering him or trading at deadline (depending on Reds standing) are my preferred options at this point in time.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 11:04 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Depends on how he plays this year and who we have to replace him. I suspect he’ll be looking for way more money than he’s worth/Reds willing to pay. So, the earlier suggestions of tendering him or trading at deadline (depending on Reds standing) are my preferred options at this point in time.

I’m in lines with this. It kinda worries me with all of the early hype and an announced bobblehead before playing a game for the team had me concerned that they would overpay long term for the guy.
Reply/Quote
I would extend Gennett if he approaches performances of the last two years. Trammell will be here in CF by next year. Move Senzel to RF if Senzel can handle the OF.

Wood did not exactly give me a boost of confidence his first outing but it is just spring training. I hope Gray feels better soon because I think he will be the team's Ace until Green is promoted in the next 2-3 years.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 03:20 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The Reds PR Team have definitely built Puig up to more than he’s been so far in his career. He kinda feels like a Brandon Phillips type personality on steroids. I’ve never been a fan of hotdog players, especially ones that are just above average players. No matter how modern times get, I still believe in the team concept. It’s been reported before that his teammates disliked him, stuff like this is probably why. I’d never knowingly lock up a player that admits that he gives it his all whenever he feels like it.

Brandon Phillips actually backed up a lot of his bravado with his glove and his bat up until old man age caught up. I think he got a bad rap personally. Some of his defensive plays were mind bogglingly good. Puig has never been anywhere near the same page as Phillips, defensively nor offensively.. To me Puig is more talk than anything, an average player at best with a bigger than big league ego..  Still, I hope he has a great season, hits over .300 and can do well in the OF. The reason being that he's a Reds player. I want every Reds player to be in the running for MVP every season.  Then again I've often wished with a handful of **** in one hand and wishes in the other.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 03:46 PM)grampahol Wrote: Brandon Phillips actually backed up a lot of his bravado with his glove and his bat up until old man age caught up. 

This.  Phillips was cocky, but he backed it up.

I have not heard much about Puig over the last couple of seasons, but when he first broke into the majors he was a mess.  He had a ton of talent, but did stupid things like not throwing to the cutoff man or making stupid base running blunders.  At times it seemed like he was not even paying attention.  That drove his teammates and manager crazy.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 03:46 PM)grampahol Wrote: Brandon Phillips actually backed up a lot of his bravado with his glove and his bat up until old man age caught up. I think he got a bad rap personally. Some of his defensive plays were mind bogglingly good. Puig has never been anywhere near the same page as Phillips, defensively nor offensively.. To me Puig is more talk than anything, an average player at best with a bigger than big league ego..  Still, I hope he has a great season, hits over .300 and can do well in the OF. The reason being that he's a Reds player. I want every Reds player to be in the running for MVP every season.  Then again I've often wished with a handful of **** in one hand and wishes in the other.. lol

Phillips was amazing with the glove and was very valuable to the Reds in his versatility as a hitter. I guess in that respect, he did back up his big mouth. I do root for every Red to do well because it helps the team. I’ve just never been a fan of the cocky players. Phillips has absolutely earned a place in the Reds HOF and will fall a little short of the Baseball HOF. I liked Brandon’s play but wasn’t a fan of his look at me personality. Puig has that look at me personality too and really hasn’t proved much in baseball yet.
Reply/Quote