Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Don’t be upset about losing out & why it is ok.
(11-19-2023, 03:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. We can use more talent in the draft.

The con is we're several players away and have a bunch of vets that are free agents too.

It's going to get interesting.

On drafting a te high...never say never, but most of the white tes weren't top 10 picks.

This several players away narrative makes zero sense to me.  

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 03:59 PM)Joelist Wrote: So as it stands the shopping list in offseason is:

Guard, DTackle, OTackle, RB, CB.

TE, S, C, WR….
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 03:49 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I meant just a couple games in general.. not lead us to the playoffs. 

My point was to the poster that this isn't the 90's the team is good and isn't totally just on Joe 

I'd argue that this team having a backup QB who can't be trusted to win games is a sign our organization is still the same ol' mom n pop show that just happened to stink into a can't miss QB in Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 04:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd argue that this team having a backup QB who can't be trusted to win games is a sign our organization is still the same ol' mom n pop show that just happened to stink into a can't miss QB in Burrow.

I could argue there's several starting QBs that can't be trusted to win football games let alone backup QBs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
So we need to be pulling for the Steelers to come away with the win next week?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 05:13 PM)Science Friction Wrote: So we need to be pulling for the Steelers to come away with the win next week?

I mean, we're talking about how we need to lose to get a higher pick so I guess we should want them to win and get a lower one, right?
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 05:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I mean, we're talking about how we need to lose to get a higher pick so I guess we should want them to win and get a lower one, right?

Steelers winning doesn't bother me in the slightest.  They have ZERO shot at winning the Super Bowl nonetheless 1 Playoff game.

A treadmill team is the worst spot to be in Pro-Sports and that is who the Steelers and Browns are.. they have no upside.

Bengals are in a FANTASTIC spot next season to reload and grab the #1 seed with a 4th place schedule. 

All the above is true and people need to realize it.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 05:55 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Steelers winning doesn't bother me in the slightest.  They have ZERO shot at winning the Super Bowl nonetheless 1 Playoff game.

A treadmill team is the worst spot to be in Pro-Sports and that is who the Steelers and Browns are.. they have no upside.

Bengals are in a FANTASTIC spot next season to reload and grab the #1 seed with a 4th place schedule. 

All the above is true and people need to realize it.

It wasn't all that long ago we made the playoffs 5 years in a row.  People in these parts know what it's like to be a treadmill team.

I will say since ZT got here we've managed to stink like a fox.  We were the only team bad enough to get Burrow, then when Burrow got hurt we got Chase, and now that Burrow is hurt again we might lose and get (_________) and then get that cupcake 4th place schedule.

Maybe it is a new dey now that we're losing right.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 06:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It wasn't all that long ago we made the playoffs 5 years in a row.  People in these parts know what it's like to be a treadmill team.

I will say since ZT got here we've managed to stink like a fox.  We were the only team bad enough to get Burrow, then when Burrow got hurt we got Chase, and now that Burrow is hurt again we might lose and get (_________) and then get that cupcake 4th place schedule.

Maybe it is a new dey now that we're losing right.

I think the majority of us outside of maybe 1 season where Dalton got hurt knew the Bengals had no chance at a SB run during that 5 year stretch.

Winning meaningless games serves no purpose and I'll never understand the people that think they do. 

This season is done it's knocking on fact for a multitude of reasons that I know and you know.

Getting a 4th place schedule and a high draft pick I can assure you is the best case scenario moving forward. Why? Because we still have Joe Burrow coming back next season this isn't a rebuild it's a reload. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 06:28 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Winning meaningless games serves no purpose and I'll never understand the people that think they do. 

Sir, this is a message board for fans of a franchise that hasn't won a single SB.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 06:28 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Winning meaningless games serves no purpose and I'll never understand the people that think they do. 

I'll never understand how most fans only think there is one game a year... the Super Bowl. In 2 weeks College football will be in their conference championships a little over 2 months and football is over...

I miss football already.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 06:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Sir, this is a message board for fans of a franchise that hasn't won a single SB.

(11-19-2023, 06:35 PM)Synric Wrote: I'll never understand how most fans only think there is one game a year... the Super Bowl. In 2 weeks College football will be in their conference championships a little over 2 months and football is over...

I miss football already.

I'm a Kentucky Wildcats and Lakers basketball fan.... Bengals and the Reds unfortunately are the only two teams that I get these type of comments from.

Winning franchises understand it's all about winning at the end of the day. No one cares about our AFC Championships or SB appearances.

It is what it is.

Just don't get excited about our top 10 pick next year and how it will impact the 2024 Bengals if you hate the direction.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 06:39 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I'm a Kentucky Wildcats and Lakers basketball fan.... Bengals and the Reds unfortunately are the only two teams that I get these type of comments from.

Winning franchises understand it's all about winning at the end of the day. No one cares about our AFC Championships or SB appearances.

It is what it is.

Just don't get excited about our top 10 pick next year and how it will impact the 2024 Bengals if you hate the direction.

At the end of the day it's about football. I'm not a professional sports fan I don't watch Baseball, NBA, or Hockey. Other than football I watch a little March madness (very little) and that's all. I am a football fan.

Winning Losing doesn't mean anything to me it's about enjoying Football. (Like I said earlier in this thread even during the superbowl run I was talking draft). 

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 06:39 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Just don't get excited about our top 10 pick next year and how it will impact the 2024 Bengals if you hate the direction.

I think we as Bengals fans have a long history of getting excited about the draft in November, too.  
Reply/Quote
OP's my dude, but I gotta disagree.

How many times have people said the NFL is the "Total Team Game"?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 06:50 PM)Synric Wrote: At the end of the day it's about football. I'm not a professional sports fan I don't watch Baseball, NBA, or Hockey. Other than football I watch a little March madness (very little) and that's all. I am a football fan.

Winning Losing doesn't mean anything to me it's about enjoying Football. (Like I said earlier in this thread even during the superbowl run I was talking draft). 

Well that's where we differ then.  I don't particular get any enjoyment out of football other than watching the Bengals and UK.

Perhaps it's a little bit of the Madden culture I grew up in but my enjoyment is on team building and long term success of a team. So that's why losing out and the draft is important in my eyes to the betterment of the Bengals. The games matter but not if they don't....
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 06:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: OP's my dude, but I gotta disagree.

I wouldn't go far as to saying they need to tank but I would like to see some Charlie Jones in the slot, Murphy and Ossai since Hendrickson and Hubbard are beat up, let Battle get those post safety reps they have been giving to Nick Scott, DJ Turners should take over as the starter.

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 01:41 PM)casear2727 Wrote: There is no need to have a divide amongst us regarding those that want to win some games and those that are ok with losing out.

I can’t speak for all of us ok with losing the rest of the games, but I can assure you that my thought process has zero to do with any indictment on Zac Taylor as some have suggested.  My outlook is 100% common sense to me.

We were not a great team with Burrow this year, the Wild Card would be difficult to attain having no tie breakers other than Buffalo.  Without Burrow we likely will not be close to being in contention.

The schedule next season is one reason why losing out can be beneficial.

Losing out offers a 4th Round schedule – we know how close the #1 & #2 seeding can be, a single loss could be the difference.  Playing the Giants instead of the Eagles could be a deciding factor.

The draft is the most important benefit of losing out. Assuming we are NOT in contention, any wins could be damaging for years to come.  One more win in 2019 and we likely do not have Burrow.

Some of have argued the draft is a “crapshoot”, which is true overall, but the higher teams draft the more likely they obtain a quality player.

Some have argued that we are not good at drafting, which is true – especially for the trenches, but we do better drafting much higher in each round.

We are currently slated to draft 18th.  We could easily jump 9 spots and possibly 11 to the #7 pick.  

Losing out puts us in contention for major impact players for the next 5 years:

The #1 TE,  Brock Boward, is he a game changer?  Do we have a hole at TE?
The #1 DT, Jer’Zhan Newton, would interior pass rush help? Do we need a Reader replacement?
The #2 WR, is Tee leaving?
A Top 5 OT, we are likely losing Jonah.

It is not just the 1st Rounders, it’s all the way down the draft.  Tee Higgins & Logan Wilson instead of Jackson Carman and Zach Carter.

Teams we could leapfrog in the draft:

Saints
Falcons
Bucs
Colts
Broncos
Chargers
Raiders
Bills
Commanders
Packers
Rams

I do appreciate those that want to win as much as possible, but this season could be the catalyst for a great run next year.  Losing Joe to the ACL was horrendous, but we got Chase and went to the Super Bowl.

Yes, you listed all my reasons in secretly hoping we lose out. I don't think we will see many years like this one where the AFCN 
is THIS good and we suck enough to maybe have a shot at a crazy, talent somewhat early. Getting a little easier schedule sure 
would be a reprieve from what we have seen lately. Getting a Brock Bowers or a Rome Odunze could be just what we need to 
put this Offense over the top after adding to the trenches in Free Agency.

Nice thread Casaer, reps. Rock On  
Reply/Quote
I have zero faith in Zak Taylor’s ability to coach up the team faced with the current circumstances. Nor do I have any confidence this front office could draft or sign anyone who would fix the holes on the team.this off season. The FO gets a big “F” from me on not setting this team up for success this year. This organization has been out maneuvered by our divisional rivals and I am extremely pessimistic about the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 06:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: OP's my dude, but I gotta disagree.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying to purposely tank.  Im saying it is ok if we do lose every game.  I will never root against the Bengals, but I will be more interested in watching the young guys develop the rest of this season and if we lose Im ok with it.

As to being a "Total Team Game", of course that should be correct, but we are so reliant on Burrow and it showed this year.  Him playing injured we cant win, much less him not playing at all. In order for us to be more of a "total team" we need to adjust some personnel and game planning, IMHO.

Reply/Quote