Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Expect Both Nelson and Iloka to be back.
Just read the mock draft on the Bengals.com website. Now, while they say they go by the board and BPA.. I find it fishy that the bengals mock drafts on their websites have been eerily close to our drafts... The year we drafted Eifert, Hobson had us slotted to take him. Last year, Hobson picked us to take Jake Fisher in their mock draft, and we see how that turned out.

They are now putting us down as taking S Vonn Bell from Ohio State. This tells me that the team expects both safetys to walk this offseason and they aren't going to pay the money to retain them. It means we will have Shawn Williams starting with a rookie or FA.

To me, this is lame. The writing is on the wall when Hobson releases their mock drafts on Bengals.com though. Bad safety play heading our way, which means worse Kirkpatrick play coming as well. I expect a huge drop in our secondary this upcoming season, which is upsetting as it was one of our strengths last season.
Reply/Quote
We have a day before teams can start contacting some of our free agents for contracts..
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
That's fine, I'm just saying its easy to read between the lines in Hobsons mock drafts.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 02:27 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Just read the mock draft on the Bengals.com website. Now, while they say they go by the board and BPA.. I find it fishy that the bengals mock drafts on their websites have been eerily close to our drafts... The year we drafted Eifert, Hobson had us slotted to take him. Last year, Hobson picked us to take Jake Fisher in their mock draft, and we see how that turned out.

They are now putting us down as taking S Vonn Bell from Ohio State. This tells me that the team expects both safetys to walk this offseason and they aren't going to pay the money to retain them. It means we will have Shawn Williams starting with a rookie or FA.

To me, this is lame. The writing is on the wall when Hobson releases their mock drafts on Bengals.com though. Bad safety play heading our way, which means worse Kirkpatrick play coming as well. I expect a huge drop in our secondary this upcoming season, which is upsetting as it was one of our strengths last season.

Ug, Vonn Bell in the 1st round? I could see us selecting him the 2nd, but not the 1st. I don't think any team is looking at him as a 1st round talent. We'd be far better off taking Apple or Jackson III in the 1st and moving Shaw to the FS, IHMO.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 02:27 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Just read the mock draft on the Bengals.com website. Now, while they say they go by the board and BPA.. I find it fishy that the bengals mock drafts on their websites have been eerily close to our drafts... The year we drafted Eifert, Hobson had us slotted to take him. Last year, Hobson picked us to take Jake Fisher in their mock draft, and we see how that turned out.

Sounds like jumping to conclusions to me.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I have always assumed we would lose one of our safeties.
Reply/Quote
I never thought we would keep both, Reggie just came off his best season and George is an unbelievable talent.

Best Safety tandem in the league when George is healthy.

Bring back one of them for sure, if what the OP says is true, he is correct and the Secondary will fall off badly.
Reply/Quote
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mock-solid/f0dad1e7-b5ab-4dd3-8770-ad20fa142798

but you're right, I looked back, and while I thought he predicted Fisher, he didn't after all. So maybe I am jumping to conclusions. Still, I worry.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 03:34 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mock-solid/f0dad1e7-b5ab-4dd3-8770-ad20fa142798

but you're right, I looked back, and while I thought he predicted Fisher, he didn't after all. So maybe I am jumping to conclusions. Still, I worry.

Lapham has been pretty spot on though.

Hate the Bell pick, but it is an early Mock and hopefully the last we see of Vonn Bell going to us in the first. Second round pick maybe...
Reply/Quote
Tbh, I would be ok with us resigning only one of them.

I think Shawn Williams showed some of what he can do.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
If we cant at least bring back Nelson and decide to overpay for DreK..well i don't know what to say.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 02:29 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: That's fine, I'm just saying its easy to read between the lines in Hobsons mock drafts.

When is the last time the Bengals have taken a S in the first round?   I don't know where Hobson gets this but it's not even something they would do.

We will have at least one of them back.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 03:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lapham has been pretty spot on though.

Hate the Bell pick, but it is an early Mock and hopefully the last we see of Vonn Bell going to us in the first. Second round pick maybe...

While I am most definitely an OSU fan, I am completely on board with your opinion of taking Bell with the 24 pick.  While he is a dynamic, masterful athlete in coverage, he offers buffkis in run support and open field tackling ability.  The LB corps at OSU atoned for much of Bell's inability to defend the run, or not get his ankles broken in open space.

And truthfully, other than the guy from Fla. St., who is the 3rd overall prospect, I don't see any of the Safety prospects worth taking in the 1st round. As when I read their scouting reports, I see things on each of them that will take some developmental time to bring them to starter quality.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 05:48 PM)McC Wrote: When is the last time the Bengals have taken a S in the first round?   I don't know where Hobson gets this but it's not even something they would do.

We used to say the same thing about TE and OG.

But while I disagree with your logic I agree with your conclusion.  I don't see safety as a first round pick for us this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 05:48 PM)McC Wrote: When is the last time the Bengals have taken a S in the first round?   I don't know where Hobson gets this but it's not even something they would do.

We will have at least one of them back.

Ricky Dixon?
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Shawn Williams definitely gives us the ability to not be desperate. It would be ideal to get both back and hopefully they want to be here.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 06:58 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Ricky Dixon?

The correct answer is Darryl Williams, but I'm still giving rep for remembering Ricky was a first round pick.
Reply/Quote
I made a crucial English error when creating this post. I meant to say EITHER Nelson and Iloka.

I think the issues with the safetys becomes a big deal if neither guy comes back. That is what im worried about. Retaining one, good. Retaining both, great. I just feel like Hobs has the inside info on how those negotions are going and the pick of S at 24 makes me think things look grim. Then again, I am a proud owner of a jump to conclusions mat.

[Image: JUMP-TO-CONCLUSIONS-MAT.jpg?itok=zg2v5lq4]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 09:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I made a crucial English error when creating this post. I meant to say EITHER Nelson and Iloka.

I think the issues with the safetys becomes a big deal if neither guy comes back. That is what im worried about. Retaining one, good. Retaining both, great. I just feel like Hobs has the inside info on how those negotions are going and the pick of S at 24 makes me think things look grim. Then again, I am a proud owner of a jump to conclusions mat.

[Image: JUMP-TO-CONCLUSIONS-MAT.jpg?itok=zg2v5lq4]

Other than the #3 overall prospect, there are no other Safeties worthy of using a 1st round pick on.  There are 6-8 of them worth spending a 2nd round pick on.  If the Bengals are adamant about taking a Safety with their top pick, I would think of trading back, and getting another 2nd or 3rd round pick for it...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 05:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While I am most definitely an OSU fan, I am completely on board with your opinion of taking Bell with the 24 pick.  While he is a dynamic, masterful athlete in coverage, he offers buffkis in run support and open field tackling ability.  The LB corps at OSU atoned for much of Bell's inability to defend the run, or not get his ankles broken in open space.

And truthfully, other than the guy from Fla. St., who is the 3rd overall prospect, I don't see any of the Safety prospects worth taking in the 1st round.  As when I read their scouting reports, I see things on each of them that will take some developmental time to bring them to starter quality.

Yeah, thats what i'm talkin about Sunset.

Great post, you know OSU very well.

We need physical Safeties and Bell is not one.

I think we will bring back Reggie and we will have Shawn to take Iloka's spot, not bad, but not an upgrade either. Mellow

Derron Smith for the future and a late round pick is my vote. Take care of the trenches and help these guys out.
Reply/Quote