Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Forget Paul Brown Special on NFL Network Tonight
THIS, I want to see......NFL Network mentioned it a few times during the game Thursday Night....I think they said 9 PM.....I will really check on the time, I don't want to miss this.....An hour special on Paul Brown who won championships coaching Ohio State and Cleveland and started the Browns and the Bengals who went to 2 Super Bowls with him as owner. ....This is MUST SEE TV for me.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I am looking forward to this. They should have played this before the pre game.
Reply/Quote
Already have it PVR'd, as tonight is date night Wink
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes, it is on at 9:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, NFL Network.  From 9 to 10 on ' A Football Life ' . The Life of Paul Brown.  People in this show are Jimmy Brown and Collinsworth. ...MUST SEE FOOTBALL TV.

I know a few things that may or may not be in it. That he won the first National Championship for Ohio State Buckeyes. The he STARTED the Cleveland Browns and in their first year in the NFL, in what was then The Super Bowl, they destroyed the Rams who had just left Cleveland to go to Los Angeles.  The Browns were The Dynasty of the 1950's with Detroit Lions.  That unlike teams that would try to trade and bring in star players from other teams, Paul Brown didn't want that and was all about bringing in college players to play his type football, everybody on the same page of the playbook....Critics said his passing offense was more like basketball than football as they scored a lot...Other critics said he ran his star running back too much, Motley and later Brown.  Paul Brown said, " If you've got a gun, shoot it "....Paul Brown invented the face mask and his so called basketball formations changed the game to what it is today....Of course after the dominance in the 1950's, he was rewarded with being fired by Art Modell in the very early 1960's of President Kennedy. Of course Art Modell would later move the whole team to Baltimore and leave Cleveland without a team for all he cared. ....This amazed Paul Brown and it really hurt him and he took it hard, and he would never forget....on the sidelines with Vince Lombardi during a Packers game, Lombardi told him to get the heck back in coaching a team.

Then some people in Cincinnati wanted an AFL team and a few insisted it be Paul Brown. Paul Brown decided he would do it on one condition, that he be the main owner, GM and head coach so he would have no more Art Modells in his life. So fired by Cleveland around 1962 or so, he again STARTED a team, The Bengals and they played in 1968. ....When the AFL joined with NFL in 1970, on Monday Night Football, Howard Cossell, Don Meredith and Keith Jackson said that Paul Brown calling all the plays was too old fashioned and " The game had passed him by ". That in modern football in 1970, the quarterback calls the plays.  Paul Brown had his new young team in the play-offs 3 of his first 6 year in the NFL of 1970 to 1975.  Guess what, other coaches began calling the plays the Paul Brown way, using offensive coordinators looking down from upstairs. Sending down photos of defenses being used. The quarterback calling plays in the huddle became old fashioned and Paul Brown style of calling plays was not old fashioned but high tech football. 

He stopped being the head coach after 1975. As owner and GM, his teams went Super Bowl in 1981 and 1988. Going into 1988, many wanted Sam Wyche fired. Paul Brown said he just needed someone to help show him a few things about coaching. So in practices, there was Paul Brown back on the sidelines with Sam Wyche, in his cap and whistle, and guess what, Super Bowl that year. ...Then when Paul Brown died, the Bengals died and became The Bungles until Coach Lewis came in and took the Bengals to 7 play-off seasons in 13 years and good football returned to Cincinnati.  So the bad 1990's only started when Paul Brown died.

Paul Brown took the Ohio State Buckeyes to a National Championship. He started both the Cleveland Browns, named after him, and the Cincinnati Bengals and both teams went to the Super Bowls of their era.....With Bengals, he wore an old CB cap from a decade gone by, CB, his Bengals team had the same initials as his old team. The uniforms at the start looked the same.  Boo was yelled out in Cleveland's Stadium as Paul Brown did not shake hands after the Bengals at Browns games.  There was great bitterness towards Art Modell that would never end. The players knew that and the Battle For Ohio games were wars. Those teams did not like each other, not at all. .....Bob Trumpy said that in 1968's first practice, the players had to sit in school desk chairs with notebooks, and in came Coach Brown and they could hardly hear him. Then on the practice field, the players could hear him scream at them all practice long. THE NEXT DAY, players showed up early to get a seat near the coach. Soft spoken, not on the field. ...How about the player that missed a meeting boarding a plane for a game in 1968 or 1969. Paul Brown said something like, " I had a meeting, you may have thought it wasn't important but I kind of thought it was. I also notice you are always the last guy for practice and the first to leave. Don't bother getting on the plane, you've just been traded ".  ....There is footage of a preseason punter kicking the ball past the end zone and thinking he did great, until Paul Brown chewed him out for punting that stupid an putting the ball at the 20. PB really tied into him. ..... Trumpy and others all said that if you made a mistake, there was no place to hide, Paul Brown would find you on the sidelines and he was not soft spoken at all.....It is said that in the first Bengals practice in 1968, starting with the basics, Paul Browns said, " gentlemen, this is a football ".

Paul Brown said his goal was to give Cincinnati fans the best team, the best game, the best halftime show in the NFL on that given Sunday. ....and why I will watch this show about Paul Brown tonight. Bengals fans who remember Paul Brown, Watch it......Bengals fans who know nothing of the man the stadium is called Paul Brown Stadium, you need to watch it even more.....a good night to learn how The Bengals all got started. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It was an amazing documentary easily could make a movie about him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:58 AM)kevin Wrote: THIS, I want to see......NFL Network mentioned it a few times during the game Thursday Night....I think they said 9 PM.....I will really check on the time, I don't want to miss this.....An hour special on Paul Brown who won championships coaching Ohio State and Cleveland and started the Browns and the Bengals who went to 2 Super Bowls with him as owner. ....This is MUST SEE TV for me.

I missed it, unfortunately.  The good thing is that it will be rerun plenty.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I wish one of the beat writers would delve into this on the offseason during that dead period. Our history is often lost and it all starts with PB.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 04:13 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am looking forward to this.   They should have played this before the pre game.

It was shown after the game here in OH. It didn't really tell us Bengals/Browns  fans anything we didn't already know but it was nice to have the world finally hear it.  A few thoughts. It was cool hearing Belichick saying the things he said. Can't really hate on Modell for firing Brown because we wouldn't have our team.  Letting Walsh get away was obviously a travesty in hindsight.  Feel kinda bad about the saying "If it's Brown flush it down" now, never really thought about it before. From now on "clowns" or "stains" will do.  

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 06:28 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: It was shown after the game here in OH. It didn't really tell us Bengals/Browns  fans anything we didn't already know but it was nice to have the world finally hear it.  A few thoughts. It was cool hearing Belichick saying the things he said. Can't really hate on Modell for firing Brown because we wouldn't have our team.  Letting Walsh get away was obviously a travesty in hindsight.  Feel kinda bad about the saying "If it's Brown flush it down" now, never really thought about it before. From now on "clowns" or "stains" will do.  

Speaking of, I watched life of PB tonight and it was great. But, after it was Cleveland 1995. Wow. Talk about feeling bad for a fan base. I couldn't imagine having the Bengals ripped away from me like that.
Reply/Quote
QB Dewey Warren (who I think completed the first pass in bengal history) was from Tennessee. He used to have a talk radio show down here. A couple of Paul Brow stories he told.

When PB started the bengals he was in his 60's yeta he would still do calisthenics with the team.

PB would have short practices and then tell the players "Anyone who still needs to work on anything is free to stay on the field." All the players would stay on the field and continue to practice. I really liked this move. It made the players realize that they were responsible for their own development and getting better.

I have not seen the show yeat, but I wonder how much it mentions PBs role in integrating professional football.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 07:34 AM)jgott32 Wrote: Speaking of, I watched life of PB tonight and it was great. But, after it was Cleveland 1995. Wow. Talk about feeling bad for a fan base. I couldn't imagine having the Bengals ripped away from me like that.

Yea I saw that too. They were dumb to keep the name and history. Should have just started fresh.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 06:28 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: It was shown after the game here in OH. It didn't really tell us Bengals/Browns  fans anything we didn't already know but it was nice to have the world finally hear it.  A few thoughts. It was cool hearing Belichick saying the things he said. Can't really hate on Modell for firing Brown because we wouldn't have our team.  Letting Walsh get away was obviously a travesty in hindsight.  Feel kinda bad about the saying "If it's Brown flush it down" now, never really thought about it before. From now on "clowns" or "stains" will do.  

You can see why he was loyal to Johnson since his closest friend and the other coaches from Cleveland just stopped talking to him. He rewarded loyalty even at his own peril.

Jim Brown pretty much admitted he pushed PB out, what a jerk. That story did nothing but show what a jerk off Jim brown was.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have not seen the show yeat, but I wonder how much it mentions PBs role in integrating professional football.

They did mention that in the show.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 01:51 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Jim Brown pretty much admitted he pushed PB out, what a jerk. That story did nothing but show what a jerk off Jim brown was.

No he didn't; he said he played a part in it and that he felt bad about it. And it didn't make JB look bad at all, save for that one line above (he didn't take orders and shit; how many guys nowadays do that?). PB wasn't all sunshine ad rainbows, don't put him on THAT pedestal.

Anyways, that was the best AFL they have ever made, with the Jimmy Smith/Keenan McCardell one a close second. Lovely hour of television, I'm NEVER deleting this off the PVR.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 05:42 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No he didn't; he said he played a part in it and that he felt bad about it. And it didn't make JB look bad at all, save for that one line above (he didn't take orders and shit; how many guys nowadays do that?). PB wasn't all sunshine ad rainbows, don't put him on THAT pedestal.

Anyways, that was the best AFL they have ever made, with the Jimmy Smith/Keenan McCardell one a close second. Lovely hour of television, I'm NEVER deleting this off the PVR.

Cleveland 95 was pretty good as well.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
This special will be on NFL Network again, Wednesday night at 8 PM est....it's very, very good.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 04:13 AM)McC Wrote: I missed it, unfortunately.  The good thing is that it will be rerun plenty.

This Wednesday, 8 PM, NFL Network
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It was a great special although I wish it would've been a 2 hour special. I know they gave Lombardi and Belichick 2 hour specials. Considering what PB did for the sport of football, you'd figure that PB earned it.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:58 AM)kevin Wrote: THIS, I want to see......NFL Network mentioned it a few times during the game Thursday Night....I think they said 9 PM.....I will really check on the time, I don't want to miss this.....An hour special on Paul Brown who won championships coaching Ohio State and Cleveland and started the Browns and the Bengals who went to 2 Super Bowls with him as owner. ....This is MUST SEE TV for me.

I recorded it and watched it on Saturday. A must watch really.

It should have been one of the first ones they ever did, but I guess later is better than never at all.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 10:11 PM)J24 Wrote: Cleveland 95 was pretty good as well.

As was the one on Earl Campbell.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote