Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Get Overconfident. It's Cleveland
The Bengals won, yes, and now Cincinnati is only a game out of first in the AFC North with the Steelers losing. However, the win was against the hapless Cleveland Browns who look beyond terrible. I'm ecstatic any time the Bengals win but let's clean up some dripping messes before going across the pond to face Jay Gruden's Redskins.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 09:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals won, yes, and now Cincinnati is only a game out of first in the AFC North with the Steelers losing.  However, the win was against the hapless Cleveland Browns who look beyond terrible.  I'm ecstatic any time the Bengals win but let's clean up some dripping messes before going across the pond to face Jay Gruden's Redskins.
I listed 14 in another post. What dripping messes do you have on your list? ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Well one positive is they were a pretty decent run defense coming in to today and we got something going. Brady commented when they played them that they wanted to run on them but couldn't effectively.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 09:46 PM)Derrick Wrote: I listed 14 in another post. What dripping messes do you have on your list? ThumbsUp

Run blocking, pass protection, no routes over the middle, bad placekicking, Russ Bodine out of position, Cedric Ogbuehi out to lunch, dropping intercepted balls, not putting a spy on a running quarterback, no blitzes when the front four can't get to the quarterback, shoddy coverage against tight ends in general, Michael Johnson running so slow you can time him with a sundial, poor tackling, stupid brain fart penalties, no punt return threat at all, loose Cover-2 when man coverage is called for, and going to the prevent defense far too early and way too often.
Reply/Quote
I'm not seeing a lot of over confidence here.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 09:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not seeing a lot of over confidence here.

Yeah, I think we're relieved to have gotten past them with relatively little suspense.  It's still a W against an NFL team, and, it's not like the Steelers or Ravens fans will put asterisks next to their teams' wins over the Browns, so we shouldn't either.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
What is the harm if a fan gets overconfident?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Still too many holes on this team. I'm still sticking with my 7-9 prediction, but would love more than anything to be wrong.
Reply/Quote
Who has been too overconfident?
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 09:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Run blocking, pass protection, no routes over the middle, bad placekicking, Russ Bodine out of position, Cedric Ogbuehi out to lunch, dropping intercepted balls, not putting a spy on a running quarterback, no blitzes when the front four can't get to the quarterback, shoddy coverage against tight ends in general, Michael Johnson running so slow you can time him with a sundial, poor tackling, stupid brain fart penalties, no punt return threat at all, loose Cover-2 when man coverage is called for, and going to the prevent defense far too early and way too often.

To be fair, we don't really have a LB athletic enough to effectively spy a running QB.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 10:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What is the harm if a fan gets overconfident?

I guess for the same reason it's a disaster when we look past the next game.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 10:23 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Who has been too overconfident?
Nobody.... But don't even f'n think about being overconfident.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 10:30 PM)jason Wrote: Nobody.... But don't even f'n think about being overconfident.

Exactly haha Such a stupid thread. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 09:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals won, yes, and now Cincinnati is only a game out of first in the AFC North with the Steelers losing.  However, the win was against the hapless Cleveland Browns who look beyond terrible.  I'm ecstatic any time the Bengals win but let's clean up some dripping messes before going across the pond to face Jay Gruden's Redskins.

Excellent point. We have no idea how good or bad this team is because it was the browns.
Reply/Quote
Agree with all the issues, but I remember a lot of pessimism heading into this one. People saying the Browns "always play us close", "division games are alway tough", "Hue knows us", etc.

Now people are saying "it was just the Browns".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 11:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agree with all the issues, but I remember a lot of pessimism heading into this one. People saying the Browns "always play us close", "division games are alway tough", "Hue knows us", etc.

Damned if you do, etc.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 11:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agree with all the issues, but I remember a lot of pessimism heading into this one. People saying the Browns "always play us close", "division games are alway tough", "Hue knows us", etc.

Its really tells a lot about a coaching staff when someone says this. Shouldn't Marvin and our coaches know him too? Why is it always an advantage for a Marvin disciple to have knowledge of our team? You would think the teacher would out do the pupil , but I guess this is a fact that Bengals fans have to deal with.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 09:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Run blocking, pass protection, no routes over the middle, bad placekicking, Russ Bodine out of position, Cedric Ogbuehi out to lunch, dropping intercepted balls, not putting a spy on a running quarterback, no blitzes when the front four can't get to the quarterback, shoddy coverage against tight ends in general, Michael Johnson running so slow you can time him with a sundial, poor tackling, stupid brain fart penalties, no punt return threat at all, loose Cover-2 when man coverage is called for, and going to the prevent defense far too early and way too often.

I was at the game and up high and watched Michael Johnson get abused on the read option over and over and over again.  The problem is that once the coaching staff (Marvin) has committed to a scheme  and committed to particular players in preseason they are in place for the rest of the year, regardless.
Reply/Quote

its the NFL.. I am happy for any win.. Any Given Sunday.. as a whole in the Dalton/Green era... Bengals have been pretty consistent with beating teams that they are favored decent by.. that has been the one edge over Steelers last 5 years.. Steelers have had more bad losses to bad teams ie Miami this year than the Bengals....

Also Division games regardless of record tend to be a bit tougher games to win...
Reply/Quote

We're actually a game and a half out. The Steelers have that extra 1/2 game because they beat us.

But, yes, it was Cleveland not a team with a winning record.

Reply/Quote