Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Don't Say Gay?
(04-06-2022, 08:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: The law says they can't talk about sexual orientation...it says nothing about teaching about sex.

It's in black and white.

So then it could equally be mislabeled "Don't say Straight," right?
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 08:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'd ignore the gop talking point that arguing that this is a bad, vague bill equals wanting to teach 5 years old about sex though.  If anything to protect children we should let them know what is appropriate and inappropriate as far as their own bodies go.  That doesn't mean they need explicit photos and discussions, but "age appropriate" education.

And again, I would ask why it is sooooo important to discuss ANY of this with a kindergartener? Don't they have other things they need to teach? 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 09:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So then it could equally be mislabeled "Don't say Straight," right?

And some teachers are doing that.  

I saw a really good one where a teacher on a video said they won't enforce girl's dress codes because that will be defining their sexuality.

(04-06-2022, 09:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And again, I would ask why it is sooooo important to discuss ANY of this with a kindergartener? Don't they have other things they need to teach? 

It's important that teachers not be hamstrung by vague bills that try to control what they can and cannot say at all times in the learning environment under risk of being held personally responsible.  The gop claims to be the party of small government.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 09:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: And some teachers are doing that.  

I saw a really good one where a teacher on a video said they won't enforce girl's dress codes because that will be defining their sexuality.

It's important that teachers not be hamstrung by vague bills that try to control what they can and cannot say at all times in the learning environment under risk of being held personally responsible.  The gop claims to be the party of small government.  

Great, I really don't go for dress codes at all. It's not a vague bill. It simply says they cannot teach this stuff in K-3, which they shouldn't be doing. Grades above that must be age appropriate. I think any reasonable person understands what this means. And the GOP is about small government. Education is the purview of the state, not the Federal Govt. This is a state law. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 09:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Great, I really don't go for dress codes at all. It's not a vague bill. It simply says they cannot teach this stuff in K-3, which they shouldn't be doing. Grades above that must be age appropriate. I think any reasonable person understands what this means. And the GOP is about small government. Education is the purview of the state, not the Federal Govt. This is a state law. 

Ok, what is reasonable for a 4th grader that is not for a 3rd grader?

In your state for example vs say, Idaho.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 09:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: Ok, what is reasonable for a 4th grader that is not for a 3rd grader?

In your state for example vs say, Idaho.

Show me the lesson plan and I'll tell you if it's reasonable.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 09:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Show me the lesson plan and I'll tell you if it's reasonable.

You said any reasonable person would know what that is.  If you are reasonable and willing to pass judgement on the plan just tell me what you would consider reasonable and how 4th graders are more prepared than 3rd graders.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
I know you are NOT going to believe this but DeSantis made stuff up to justify a law no one needed.

[Image: FPrO9u6XwAodjF1?format=png&name=large]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
The article doesn't say what grade this was, but how many Kindergarteners through 3rd graders know what non-binary is, let alone identify with it, unless someone told them that's what they were?
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2022, 08:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The article doesn't say what grade this was, but how many Kindergarteners through 3rd graders know what non-binary is, let alone identify with it, unless someone told them that's what they were?

DeSantis didn't say what grade either...he just lied to make it seem like schools were forcing this on a student.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 09:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So then it could equally be mislabeled "Don't say Straight," right?

I remember the day I came out to my parents as straight.

It was really stressful to tell them who I really am and the stigmatization of my identity made it even harder.

Luckily, they supported my decision and didn't disown me or send me to a conversion camp.

They're very tolerant parents.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2022, 11:51 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I remember the day I came out to my parents as straight.

It was really stressful to tell them who I really am and the stigmatization of my identity made it even harder.

Luckily, they supported my decision and didn't disown me or send me to a conversion camp.

They're very tolerant parents.

Right over your head....... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Side note, I'm listening to a Tom Paxton album from 1964 and there are back to back songs about buying the newspaper that tells you want you want to hear and a song about kids being taught whitewashed propaganda in school.

Ain't nothing new.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Huh...weird.   Mellow

Who could have guessed? Mellow
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote