Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't argue on twitter about Joe
(02-10-2022, 10:22 AM)Pezmerga Wrote: Reddit > Twitter for NFL discussion.

Reddit's > Twitter on pretty much any discussion.
Twitter is great for getting quick updates though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 10:25 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Ummmm, Andy Dalton is no longer a Cincinnati Bengal.  Mellow

He is 2-0 against Joe Burrow, though.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3579864]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 11:33 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He is 2-0 against Joe Burrow, though.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3579864]

Burrow didn’t play against the Cowboys last year.

Reply/Quote
This is called fear.

They see Joe already getting to the SB with this young core of stars, and they see that their QB's can't get it done, and so their defense mechanism is to claim that Joe is overrated or whatever. Let them think that. Imagine how good Joe is going to be in the future with an actual OL. That's the thing that these haters never mention. Joe did what he did this year with a bottom 5 OL. Amazing!
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 11:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow didn’t play against the Cowboys last year.

This is a thread about social media, Nico. We don't need to worry about things like accuracy, just how big we can make the flames.

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 11:41 AM)GAWhoDey Wrote: This is called fear.  

They see Joe already getting to the SB with this young core of stars, and they see that their QB's can't get it done, and so their defense mechanism is to claim that Joe is overrated or whatever.  Let them think that.  Imagine how good Joe is going to be in the future with an actual OL.  That's the thing that these haters never mention.  Joe did what he did this year with a bottom 5 OL.  Amazing!

Exactly

They've seen what Joe and Co. have done with a poor Oline. And they're scared to death of what will be when he gets at least an average Oline.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 09:59 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: You expected sane takes on social media?

I get it Twitter sucks blah blah.  With that being said I really didn't expect the hate on Burrow. I mean honestly who can hate a guy like that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 03:28 AM)J24 Wrote: So other Fan bases( oddly the Ravens fans are most bitter) are really butt hurt about the Bengals being in the Superbowl. They especially do not like it when you mention that Burrow is a top 5 QB(I honestly didn't think it was arguable at this point).
Here are some of the gems quotes I have seen in my mentions so far. (Summed up not word for word.)
"Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray are way better than Joe and it's not even close"
"You can't say Joe Beat Mahomes this season because it was the defense that beat him"
" Joe has 4 TDs to 2 INTs therefore he sucks and has been carried to the Superbowl by his defense!"
"Josh Allen is way better than Joe even though nearly every statistic you presented shows that Joe has outperformed him this season"
"Josh Allen has no weapons and no defense. Certainly no where close to what Joe has".

Wait wait wait... are the ravens complaining that a Defense is helping to carry a team to the Super Bowl???
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: So, the news flash is that people on social media are largely stupid?  Fine.  I think I already knew that...

Seriously, though...there will be a lot of envy from other fan bases when they see how the city has rallied around this team and what a great team it has become in so little time.  

I don't concern myself with other fanbases, nor do I get all pissy when some talking head slights my team.  Maybe because it is so common, it just seems to be the norm.  I choose to enjoy and celebrate someone like Kay Adams that comes out and predicts the playoffs before the season and is kind of a new celebrity fan.  

I am just loving this ride and can't wait to celebrate the win!!!

There is truth in this but I've read a lot of fans from opposing teams accusing us of being bandwagon fans. Which I suppose is true to a certain extent. A lot of people, even people outside of Cincy, are jumping on the bandwagon, but there are still many hardcore fans like us.
Reply/Quote
The only time I ever see anything on Twitter is when someone here, or on any of the message boards to which I belong, posts something from there. Then I can pick and choose those posts to read, which provides an extra layer of filter between myself and social media. I have to believe I live a much happier existence because of that.

Football fans have always been petty about the success of teams apart from their own. The only difference now is you can actually read their thoughts.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 11:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Wait wait wait... are the ravens complaining that a Defense is helping to carry a team to the Super Bowl???

And we don't even have any killers on our D.... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 01:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And we don't even have any killers on our D.... Ninja

true gotta wait for someone to kill someone to put up a statue.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 01:23 PM)BengalRed Wrote: There is truth in this but I've read a lot of fans from opposing teams accusing us of being bandwagon fans. Which I suppose is true to a certain extent. A lot of people, even people outside of Cincy, are jumping on the bandwagon, but there are still many hardcore fans like us.

The so-called bandwagon fans are EXACTLY what I have been saying the NFL needed to realize.  I think there is a major misconception at a high level in the NFL on fandom.  

It started for me years ago when I was at a bar (think the Bengals must have been on a bye) and there were TONS of guys at the bar with....laptops?  They weren't wearing jerseys, and they were cheering....uh, scores?  Receptions?  But they were cheering for all different teams?

It was fantasy football, and now I realize how huge this thing has become.  Sure, it is just a form of gambling, and I enjoyed a couple leagues at one time.  My favorite was a family league where the kids had teams, too.  My proudest moment was immediately after the "auto draft" (because there was just no way) on the transactions list showed every pittsburgh steeler was released...even guys like Piggy, Bell, and Brown.  Very proud moment, indeed, as the family knew better than to have turds in our punch bowl.

Back on topic:  I think a HUGE number of "fans" are just fans of the game.  They feel like the same four or five teams have a shot and the others just don't, either from bad officiating or just bad luck.  

Enter the 2021/2022 Bengals.  Young, fun, energetic....full of personalities, and not the kind you DON'T want around. 

This team is earning fans that might be with them for lifetimes.  Burrow is building a brand.  People love the confident, quirky, and talented individual.  

I think the NFL would do well to start celebrating teams and individuals like this and try to get more fans that care about the game, as in the TEAM, and not just the fantasy points. 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 09:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The so-called bandwagon fans are EXACTLY what I have been saying the NFL needed to realize.  I think there is a major misconception at a high level in the NFL on fandom.  

It started for me years ago when I was at a bar (think the Bengals must have been on a bye) and there were TONS of guys at the bar with....laptops?  They weren't wearing jerseys, and they were cheering....uh, scores?  Receptions?  But they were cheering for all different teams?

It was fantasy football, and now I realize how huge this thing has become.  Sure, it is just a form of gambling, and I enjoyed a couple leagues at one time.  My favorite was a family league where the kids had teams, too.  My proudest moment was immediately after the "auto draft" (because there was just no way) on the transactions list showed every pittsburgh steeler was released...even guys like Piggy, Bell, and Brown.  Very proud moment, indeed, as the family knew better than to have turds in our punch bowl.

Back on topic:  I think a HUGE number of "fans" are just fans of the game.  They feel like the same four or five teams have a shot and the others just don't, either from bad officiating or just bad luck.  

Enter the 2021/2022 Bengals.  Young, fun, energetic....full of personalities, and not the kind you DON'T want around. 

This team is earning fans that might be with them for lifetimes.  Burrow is building a brand.  People love the confident, quirky, and talented individual.  

I think the NFL would do well to start celebrating teams and individuals like this and try to get more fans that care about the game, as in the TEAM, and not just the fantasy points. 

Jim and Pat were talking about this very thing in their 3rd hour yesterday, minus the fantasy aspect. Talking about the Rams and the Bengals, and how each got to the Super Bowl. They basically said LA has gone all in and"rented" a Super Bowl team they will not be able to keep together because they know the fans in LA won't wait, they'll move on, while the Bengals have built mostly though the draft with young players who will be around a long time. According to Kirwan, this is how the NFL wants teams to do it. They do not want to hear about players like Beckham refusing to play for certain teams and forcing his way out and onto a championship team. They acknowledged fans do not like that stuff. I'm starting to think the Bengals might just be the recipient of a lot of love from the league in the next couple of years as the team they want as their model. Who'da thought that 3 years ago?
Reply/Quote
You may be right there Ocho.. Our society as a whole, indeed globally even is much more mobile than it was when many of us became fans 20-30 and even 40 years ago..Some even *cough (no names) 50+ years.. People often take new jobs in different cities every few years, some more often than that so they're not nearly tied to one team as in years past, but they still watch football. Many just give up on their team after years of sucking..Some are just pragmatic and root for wherever they happen to live in any given year.. That's a HUGE untapped audience.. I've talked to several people locally who don't root for any one team, but do play fantasy games a lot.. Not every city has an NFL franchise.. Here in SC there are the Panthers, but not really that many Panther fans. I see FAR MORE other teams emblems on cars in traffic here than the Panthers.. The Panthers are just about 70 miles up the road from us.. Atlanta is close too as is Jacksonville. What do those 3 have in common? Losers..  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 09:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jim and Pat were talking about this very thing in their 3rd hour yesterday, minus the fantasy aspect. Talking about the Rams and the Bengals, and how each got to the Super Bowl. They basically said LA has gone all in and"rented" a Super Bowl team they will not be able  to keep together because they know the fans in LA won't wait, they'll move on, while the Bengals have built mostly though the draft with young players who will be around a long time. According to Kirwan, this is how the NFL wants teams to do it. They do not want to hear about players like Beckham refusing to play for certain teams and forcing his way out and onto a championship team. They acknowledged fans do not like that stuff. I'm starting to think the Bengals might just be the recipient of a lot of love from the league in the next couple of years as the team they want as their model. Who'da thought that 3 years ago?

Great stuff.  The league sure seemed to like Brady to Tampa, though, and that is soon to be a massive market.  I don't know if they will disappear after Brady has retired, but I can't help but wonder if it isn't sort of the same model of the Rams. 

I think the Tampa area was starving and with the success the Lightening have had in the NHL, the league saw that market (which is growing by a reported 1000 people a DAY!) as a huge potential win.  

The Cincinnati area may have just under 400,000 lives, but the greater tri-state area has many more.  Dayton, Columbus (i know, supposedly all Browns and Buckeyes....not true), NKY, Louisville, Lexington, WV, etc.  There are LOTS of Bengals fans in those areas.  It is a bit like the Reds.  Small market but huge fan base...largely from an incredible team in the 70s, but they won a lot of younger fans with a brash club in 1990.  While those boys were "nasty", this team is more just fun and talented.  The Bengals are one of the better team follows on social media now....huge prop to Elizabeth Blackburn on that one.  The team is young, fun, cool, and full of personality.  People see that!  Kay Adams sees that!

Winning Sunday will put this team in rarefied air for years to come.  
Reply/Quote
I really wonder how long the Bengals can keep the young, energetic feeling along with the cohesion going.. Eventually in a few short years Burrow's rookie contract will expire as will Tee's at the same time as well as the rest of the draft class and it continues the following season with Chase, etc.. They won't be able to keep them all unless the cap balloons bigly.. Once this team stops winning, if they do a lot of the bandwagoneers will fall off like so many sick and dying flies all flying around spider webs....  Who knows though.. Perhaps Joe and Zac have created the next NE style dynasty in Cincinnati.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 09:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jim and Pat were talking about this very thing in their 3rd hour yesterday, minus the fantasy aspect. Talking about the Rams and the Bengals, and how each got to the Super Bowl. They basically said LA has gone all in and"rented" a Super Bowl team they will not be able  to keep together because they know the fans in LA won't wait, they'll move on, while the Bengals have built mostly though the draft with young players who will be around a long time. According to Kirwan, this is how the NFL wants teams to do it. They do not want to hear about players like Beckham refusing to play for certain teams and forcing his way out and onto a championship team. They acknowledged fans do not like that stuff. I'm starting to think the Bengals might just be the recipient of a lot of love from the league in the next couple of years as the team they want as their model. Who'da thought that 3 years ago?

Hey, if that means the refs will finally be on our side in ALL our games, I'm okay with that. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 04:59 AM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: You shouldn't be arguing on Twitter about anything. There is nothing you gain from that

Beat me to it.
Reply/Quote