Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't forget about Jake Fisher
With the addition of Glenn, I'm more interested in solidifying the interior line than worrying about Tackle.  Fisher is at least serviceable, and not a limp wristed quitter like his draft partner on the other end of the line.....but it's still a need.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 02:07 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’ll say one thing, I’ve never seen a coach come in with this much hype. If he’s half of the savior that this board seems to think he is, we should have a top 5 line in a couple of years.

Well.....he has a pretty good track record in Dallas.....but I think it has more to do with finally canning that boat anchor of a predecessor of his than anything.  A paperweight has to be better than what we had.  I mean, our interim OC made changes to the scheme and personnel and we fared much better than we did using the schemes and personnel of our former 25 year tenured "guru"/ Whatever

Reply/Quote
I want RT/LT Mike McGlinchey in round 1 and one of the Top 3 Centers in round 2.  Say Frank Ragnow.

From round 3 on they can take other positions.

Fisher can then compete with the others for the right Guard job.

I don't want to keep hoping that players that have not done very well to date suddenly start panning out.

Fixing the O-line is critical and I don't want to hope it gets better any longer.

Make it better... 

Then starting with two 3rd round picks in round 3 they can draft other positions for the rest of the draft, should they choose to.
Reply/Quote
at this time, I wouldn't count on Fischer for the full year. he might be cleared by the Drs, but I don't know enough to know if this is 100% repairable or not. So would need more advice from a Dr about it.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 12:54 PM)depthchart Wrote: I want RT/LT Mike McGlinchey in round 1 and one of the Top 3 Centers in round 2.  Say Frank Ragnow.

From round 3 on they can take other positions.

Fisher can then compete with the others for the right Guard job.

I don't want to keep hoping that players that have not done very well to date suddenly start panning out.

Fixing the O-line is critical and I don't want to hope it gets better any longer.

Make it better... 

Then starting with two 3rd round picks in round 3 they can draft other positions for the rest of the draft, should they choose to.

One could argue there is enough of a fix on OL in place already minus a Center we know about...

There are other positions that need talent as well across the board.

Between Hart Fisher and OBg  and potential draft pick we will find a Right tackle.

Between  Redmond Westermon and Hopkins we can find an RG

Personally would love to see a Defensive playmaker round 1 the OC in round 2 and a Tackle in the 3rd(with one of the picks)
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 01:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: One could argue there is enough of a fix on OL in place already minus a Center we know about...

Between Hart Fisher and OBg  and potential draft pick we will find a Right tackle.

Personally would love to see a Defensive playmaker round 1 the OC in round 2 and a Tackle in the 3rd(with one of the picks)

I can live with that as long as the Bengals nail down a Solid Center and RT with 2 of the top 3 picks they make.

I like McGlinchey because he can be the future Left Tackle while playing right tackle early in his career.

Say they take a defensive player in round one, a Center round 2 and RT Orlando Brown in the 3rd and they all pan out.

Then I'm happy that way also.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 01:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: One could argue there is enough of a fix on OL in place already minus a Center we know about...

Not really man.....you're relying on a guy with a heart problem, a signee from NYG that graded worse than the panty waist we started at LT, AND the kid with the heart ailment.  We have Glenn.  Can we find a good RG from those 3?  I'm sick of seeing blockers unabated to the QB and RBs.  That's not how you win football games.  You build teams from the inside out.  If Marvin Lewis, Andy Dalton, AJ Green, Geno Atkins, etc want to win a Super Bowl anytime soon......they better damn well fix the o line NOW.  Not with serviceable players, with GOOD to great players.  Andy Dalton will not win you a championship without good protection.  So either fix the line, or get a mobile QB that deals with constant pressure better.

The defense is decent enough.  Now, if a guy like Derwin James falls to you at 21, then yeah, go for it.  I have a feeling that Austin will be more aggressive, and we will see some INTs from our CBs this season.  We have Burfict, Lawson, Dunlap, Atkins, WJIII, and potential for playmaking in Dennard on defense already.  Preston Brown may be a very nice addition.  

This o line needs fixed in the worst way if this team is to make some noise, IMO.  I'd like the first two rounds to be McGlinchey/Wynn and Ragnow/Daniels/Price myself.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 06:36 PM)samhain Wrote: I've got a lot more hope for him than Ced.  He's put on weight and shown a mean streak when the rest of the o-line didn't.  I hope he pans out.

Fisher COULD be a happy surprise, if 100% healthy and well coached. ced o might do well at RT,at G.   Westerman  and Redmond may get coached up,get opportunity. I'd agree, we will grab a C early, maybe rd 1, if not,rd 2 for sure. likely  another O-line guy is one of our top 4 picks.

Fisher and Ced O were high picks, and expected to be.  It would be ideal if BOTH prove valuable.  i'd say  they are in the mix for RT and G .
o-Line is the obvious priority.  Beyond that, we HAVE players but likely add something. we can use a S,D-line, LB... maybe depth for RB,CB, TE, WR,Qb... in other words rd 5-6-7 we'd look for bargains.

i was out West when Bill Walsh built the Niners into a dynasty.    It was NOT just about  rd 1+2 picks.  Walsh got ALL Star guys in rd 3 and later.
Some drafts he  got 7-8 REAL good players.  It helped they had a VERY good batch of assistant coaches.
Reply/Quote
If we dont end up getting McGlinchey at 21, a healthy Jake Fisher will be our starting RT going into the season.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I don't think Fisher has ever looked consistently like a quality starter and I am not sure he is the long term answer irrespective of his health

At times last year he was as bad as Ced...if he had been the rd1 pick he would have been getting even more grief from the board.

I think with his position flexibility and mobility he could carve out a nice role as 1st backup along the line - but not OT starter
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 04:11 PM)sonofstat Wrote: I don't think Fisher has ever looked consistently like a quality starter and I am not sure he is the long term answer irrespective of his health

At times last year he was as bad as Ced...if he had been the rd1 pick he would have been getting even more grief from the board.

I think with his position flexibility and mobility he could carve out a nice role as 1st backup along the line - but not OT starter

His incosistancy can possibly be attributed to his heart condition. I admit there were times it looked like he too plays off but those kinds of heart problems can snap you energy almostalmost instantly. Then 5 minutes later you feel ready to rock
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 03:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Everyone it the draft forum and in here are talking about how we must get a tackle early. I'm not sure there is a tackle in this draft that is a better prospect than Jake Fisher. Before going down with A-fib Jake was having a mediocre season at RT (55 of 83) but he was learning. One must also wonder did his heart condition affect his play. He did say he had to get treated for a "supersonic" heart rate in an early season workout.

I for one am willing to give Jake first crack at RT (who knows what Pollack can do for him Doug Free was garbage at RT before Pollack got a hold of him) and focus on the interior of our oline.
Fish and OG haven't cut the mustard so far and getting Dalton killed.  Other than Bodine, I don't think much of returning players from worst O Line in NFL.   We brought in LT from Buffalo.  WE need best Blocker in draft at pick 21 and then another blocker in round 2.  One of them has to be a Center.  The other can be guard or tackle, the main thing is best blocker on the boards.  From round 3 on we add Defense.   None of this Ripley WR or Jackson QB nonsense.  Bengals are Weak and need a draft to make them Tough.  Dalton is getting killed back there, plus our tackling needs an upgrade. Steelers and Ravens will walk all over us if we don't bring in the big boys to toughen this team up.  

I would not put all the eggs in the Fisher, Og basket.  So far they have let Dalton get killed. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Fisher had a legitimate excuse for poor play, so I am willing to give him another look. Ced needs to go, he has singlehandedly destroyed our last two seasons. If it were up to me, we would get McGlinchey in the 1st, Price or another center in the second before even thinking defense (unless Vita Vea is there, which he won't be)
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 03:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Everyone it the draft forum and in here are talking about how we must get a tackle early. I'm not sure there is a tackle in this draft that is a better prospect than Jake Fisher. Before going down with A-fib Jake was having a mediocre season at RT (55 of 83) but he was learning. One must also wonder did his heart condition affect his play. He did say he had to get treated for a "supersonic" heart rate in an early season workout.

I for one am willing to give Jake first crack at RT (who knows what Pollack can do for him Doug Free was garbage at RT before Pollack got a hold of him) and focus on the interior of our oline.

Good stuff as always Bfine. Pollacks fresh approach and intensity might be our most significant addition this season. 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 01:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not really man.....you're relying on a guy with a heart problem, a signee from NYG that graded worse than the panty waist we started at LT, AND the kid with the heart ailment.  We have Glenn.  Can we find a good RG from those 3?  I'm sick of seeing blockers unabated to the QB and RBs.  That's not how you win football games.  You build teams from the inside out.  If Marvin Lewis, Andy Dalton, AJ Green, Geno Atkins, etc want to win a Super Bowl anytime soon......they better damn well fix the o line NOW.  Not with serviceable players, with GOOD to great players.  Andy Dalton will not win you a championship without good protection.  So either fix the line, or get a mobile QB that deals with constant pressure better.

The defense is decent enough.  Now, if a guy like Derwin James falls to you at 21, then yeah, go for it.  I have a feeling that Austin will be more aggressive, and we will see some INTs from our CBs this season.  We have Burfict, Lawson, Dunlap, Atkins, WJIII, and potential for playmaking in Dennard on defense already.  Preston Brown may be a very nice addition.  

This o line needs fixed in the worst way if this team is to make some noise, IMO.  I'd like the first two rounds to be McGlinchey/Wynn and Ragnow/Daniels/Price myself.

I think we HAVE some chance the new coaches  upgrade guys we already have.  ced?    He WAS a rd 1 guy, he was EXPECTED to go high.   He flopped at LT. Maybe he thrives at g?  RT?  Fisher also  came with a solid resume, and fell short, while Westerman and Redmond didn't get a look then finished the season well.    That said ...C was bad and Bodine is gone so.. obvious priority.  I saw OSU a few times, I KNOW Price is damn good. Some like Ragenow better. I never saw him. Daniels always is in the conversation.  I saw McGlinchey mentioned but I doubt he lasts to #21.
Wynn.. is a top G and I've seen it said he CAN do T and C.  

We'll have a sort of plan. We either grab best C at 21, or we don't and hope who we like can be had rd 2. We MIGHT deal to move UP in Rd 2 so we at least get one of the main OC guys.   How do we see the top 3 OC guys?

AFTER we do our work for the OL,  We WANT goodies elsewhere but  frankly, no area looks desperate.  All in all......seems we'll aim to add DL,LB,S  at some point but  will watch for a "value" pick.

frankly, i used to watch a LOT of College ball looking for Draft guys.  Lately.. I see less so, can't  call a full 7 rd draft, won't try. I MUCH prefer "eyeball"  opinion over second hand. Now?  Don't have enough input
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 02:07 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’ll say one thing, I’ve never seen a coach come in with this much hype. If he’s half of the savior that this board seems to think he is, we should have a top 5 line in a couple of years.

He's certainty gotten his share of hype almost to the point that it almost seems like some people believe he can turn me into a probowl offensive line player at 58 and just 6' 173 lbs.. 
Nobody has made such a claim ,but that's how hype usually goes.. Superman in a bottle . 
I don't know if Fisher will pan out or get cut come training camp .
Reply/Quote
Any chance that the change of scheme under Pollack will suddenly reveal a capable tackle from the current incumbents?

Dave Lapham was saying in a podcast recently he thinks the change of line coach should bring a pretty positive effect - with linemen able to be aggressive and drive defenders backwards, rather than the more passive 'counterpunch' scheme under PA. Could such a change make a big enough difference to (say) Fisher, or even Ced, to make them serviceable?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:01 PM)dnkw Wrote: Any chance that the change of scheme under Pollack will suddenly reveal a capable tackle from the current incumbents?

Dave Lapham was saying in a podcast recently he thinks the change of line coach should bring a pretty positive effect - with linemen able to be aggressive and drive defenders backwards, rather than the more passive 'counterpunch' scheme under PA. Could such a change make a big enough difference to (say) Fisher, or even Ced, to make them serviceable?
Fisher yes, Ced no. Ced doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body. Chances are in a scheme that is more aggressive he will get worse. At least Fisher showed some flashes.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:21 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Fisher yes, Ced no. Ced doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body. Chances are in a scheme that is more aggressive he will get worse. At least Fisher showed some flashes.

Leave ced’s bone outta this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:01 PM)dnkw Wrote: Any chance that the change of scheme under Pollack will suddenly reveal a capable tackle from the current incumbents?

I hope it makes a difference for them, however, I still want a solid Tackle prospect taken within the first 3 rounds that they would both have trouble ever beating out.

We have Cordy Glenn now at Left Tackle and I don't want to rely on hoping that Jake Fisher gets better.

Give me at the very least one top 3 round Right Tackle prospect out of this Draft that is so good that Fisher may never beat him out even if he does improve.

I want the Bengals to pursue a Great O-line rather than hoping for a serviceable one.
Reply/Quote