Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Don't forget about Redmond at RG
(04-28-2020, 04:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals signed Redmond for $2.13 million.

Su'a-Filo is only getting $2.6 million.

As far as how the Bengals value them I don't see much difference, yet a lot of fans seem eager to write in XSF as a starter.

Because XSF Is more disiplined as a OG and he isnt a drive killer 
Reply/Quote
Fred has already made up his mind on both XSF and Josh Bynes. Two guys that actually played on teams that weren’t awful last season.

Not a chance the penalty machine is going to start.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Doesn't Xavier play mostly on the left side of the line? Not saying he won't play right side, but he may take the starting LG position.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 05:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Doesn't Xavier play mostly on the left side of the line? Not saying he won't play right side, but he may take the starting LG position.

Pretty sure they want Jordan there.

Reply/Quote
Maybe neither Redmond or Su'a-Filo starts.
The coaches really seem to like Fred Johnson, I know he played LT last season but he did play RG & RT in college.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 05:40 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Maybe neither Redmond or Su'a-Filo starts.
The coaches really seem to like Fred Johnson, I know he played LT last season but he did play RG & RT in college.

Fred's starting at RT, bank on it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 05:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty sure they want Jordan there.

He's penciled in, but if someone else gets the starting job on the right, don't be surprised if the big man knocks Jordan out of his starting spot on the left. Best 5, right?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 04:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals signed Redmond for $2.13 million.

Su'a-Filo is only getting $2.6 million.

As far as how the Bengals value them I don't see much difference, yet a lot of fans seem eager to write in XSF as a starter.

The best thing about Redmond is none of his contract is dead cap if we cut him
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 05:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty sure they want Jordan there.

Some quality competition for starting spots is just what the doctor ordered for this team.  I'm really starting to believe the things I hear and read, things like "All spots on the OL are up for competition, we want to put the best 5 out there".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 05:40 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Fred's starting at RT, bank on it.

Most hype over two games since Christian Westerman.

But I also think Fred could get a shot at OG.

In my opinion Hart and Williams are the starting OTs, and there are about 4 or 5 guys fighting over the two guard positions.

I really liked getting Jordan in the fourth round last year but he looked terrible.  As you know one of my strict rules is don't judge a player by his rookie season, but "not judging" means giving him an equal shot, not writing him in as a starter.  I am not saying Jordan won't be a good player this year.  I am just saying I did not see him do anything last year to impress me.

I honestly have no favorites.  Just get the best 5 out there.  If Johnson beats Hart out at RT then Hart could be in the mix at OG.  Here is the competition.

Su'a-Filo.....Cut by Titans in 2017.  Back up since then.  Signed for back up money.
Jordan...…..2nd year player with potential, but has not shown anything yet.
Redmond....Poor starter from 2 years ago.
Price...……..1st round pick with potential, but has looked bad for two years.
Jognson…...Undrafted free agent cut by Steelers.

I was pissed we did not do more in the draft to address this position.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 06:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Some quality competition for starting spots is just what the doctor ordered for this team.  I'm really starting to believe the things I hear and read, things like "All spots on the OL are up for competition, we want to put the best 5 out there".

Well sure, let the best man win, but they also need to gel as a unit at some point. Can’t keep rotating guys in and out and expect them to be cohesive.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 06:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well sure, let the best man win, but they also need to gel as a unit at some point. Can’t keep rotating guys in and out and expect them to be cohesive.

I hear ya, as I'm usually one to harp about "continuity and repetition" to build unity and cohesiveness on an OL.  However, there's nothing wrong with finding out exactly which 5 to begin that mission with, before you really get going.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 06:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I hear ya, as I'm usually one to harp about "continuity and repetition" to build unity and cohesiveness on an OL.  However, there's nothing wrong with finding out exactly which 5 to begin that mission with, before you really get going.  

I’m just glad Hopkins has turned into a solid center for us. At least Burrow won’t have the bull rush coming right up the middle all season.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 06:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Most hype over two games since Christian Westerman.

But I also think Fred could get a shot at OG.

In my opinion Hart and Williams are the starting OTs, and there are about 4 or 5 guys fighting over the two guard positions.

I really liked getting Jordan in the fourth round last year but he looked terrible.  As you know one of my strict rules is don't judge a player by his rookie season, but "not judging" means giving him an equal shot, not writing him in as a starter.  I am not saying Jordan won't be a good player this year.  I am just saying I did not see him do anything last year to impress me.

I honestly have no favorites.  Just get the best 5 out there.  If Johnson beats Hart out at RT then Hart could be in the mix at OG.  Here is the competition.

Su'a-Filo.....Cut by Titans in 2017.  Back up since then.  Signed for back up money.
Jordan...…..2nd year player with potential, but has not shown anything yet.
Redmond....Poor starter from 2 years ago.
Price...……..1st round pick with potential, but has looked bad for two years.
Jognson…...Undrafted free agent cut by Steelers.

I was pissed we did not do more in the draft to address this position.

You left the guy we did draft out of the competition

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 03:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When John Miller was out with injury last year Alex Redmond was the new starter, but then he also got injured and missed most of the second half of the season.  Earlier this month the Bengals re-signed him for $2.1 million.

Considering the current competition it could be the Bengals see Redmond as the starting RG again.

Redmund is as dumb as

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2F...f=1&nofb=1]
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciplus.com%2Fprodu...=1&nofb=1:]
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 06:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You left the guy we did draft out of the competition

Along with the 2 UDFAs that we signed to OL,

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 06:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You left the guy we did draft out of the competition

Apparently any olineman taken after the 2nd or 3rd round is automatically relegated to practice squad at best to some on this board. I’ve seen countless “but we did nothing to address the OL” comments since we took our final pick.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2020, 06:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Along with the 2 UDFAs that we signed to OL,

Our best olineman is a UDFA

Reply/Quote
Redmond has had some good moments in short yardage situations. Do I expect him to play at "average starter level" in pass pro or in space? No, but stranger things have happened. 

I wonder what the deal is with Josh Kline and Mike Person btw. Those seem like two solid, veteran guys. Injuries maybe? Cap issues?  
Reply/Quote
Quote:Don't forget about Redmond at RG

Oh we didn't.

Trust me.
Reply/Quote