Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't get hopes up for big FA moves..
We need to use Free Agency to fill some needs, especially at Linebacker. Mosley will cost too much but guys like Kwon Alexander, Jordan Hicks, and KJ Wright should all be targets. However, the fact they have not even cut Burfict and saved the 6 million cap hit before FA starts seems pretty tellibg
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 01:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You mean the same front office that just last year added the 8th highest paid OT in the league and a LB who was among the top half of the league in pay for his position.

I am in no way saying I agree with all the moves the front office makes or does not make, but you really need to update your whimper.  Last year proved that they were at least willing to try something other than bargain bin players.

The results have not changed much but there was at least a change in some tactics.

I mean the same front office that has produced 28 annual failures in a row.

It's the same front office that made wholesale coaching changes, but none to itself.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
If they aren't active early then expect the same old same old. Swoop in and get second or third tier FAs that no other team wants. Last year they did move back and get Glenn who was serviceable but only because he was already under contract that was team friendly. I look for them to go the same route this year. Old habits die hard.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 01:29 PM)impactplaya Wrote: leading a team in tackles means nothing. 

Led the NFL.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
What's hilarious is we have the same negative posters telling us how bad it has been and will be...and free agency hasn't even started yet.
Reply/Quote
Anybody can critique what has happened in the past.  Nobody can critique what hasn't happened yet.  Why is it so hard to wait a few more days and see what actually happens?  Plenty of prime critiquing time will still be left.

Guy needs an article but he's got zero.  So he throws one of these together.  When he says it could have been an "article" he wrote five years go, it was, with a couple names changed.  Dehner should be embarrassed that even Hobs beat him to the punch.

For the love of God, stop being click bait for the lazy ass "reporter" who has nothing.  This is why the Cincinnati Enquirer has become such an irrelevant rag that needs a website overloaded with ads just to stay in business.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 11:31 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So you are saying there is a chance we sign CJ Mosley and Trent Brown. Those are the two we need. Lets get it done. Im still getting my hopes up.

Same thing i took from this. I am going to base my expectations off of what i have seen lately.

Lately the Bengals have been making good moves, i expect more of it.

Especially with a new HC in town.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 01:17 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It would be classic Mike Brown to lose Dennard, have no replacement, then, two years down the line come to the conclusion that the team needs a decent slot corner.

Frankly, until we see an actual change in how the team approaches the off season don't expect any. Mike Brown has infected the entire front office with his warped thinking process, as witnessed by Troy Blackburn's text to Whitworth's agent.

Every year we all hope it will be different this year, but we are generally very disappointed with the out come.

People think of this year as a year of change, but do realize that not one person in the front office has been fired or replaced and no one new has been added.

I keep seeing the Giants' BW Webb being floated around as a possibility to replace Dennard.  He struggled outside, but played well once he moved to the slot last year.  He will likely be cheaper than Dennard and Anarumo will logically want to bring in some of his guys.

The Bengals really need to bring in a solid RT, a LB that can cover, and a #1 TE in FA, as well as retain/replace Dennard.  If we bring in a huge name at one of those positions, it's likely going to mean cheaping out on some of the others.  However, big name FA's also help move tickets and they are obviously trying to build up the excitement level.

However, a word of caution is that FA's often do not perform to the level you expect them to.  I saw a PFT article awhile back that pointed out that out of all the FA's that switched teams last year, only 4 made the Pro Bowl.  Out of those 4, one made it as a return man and one made it as a ST's player, so only 2 position players made it.  The odds of landing a top shelf performer are not great.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 06:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: I keep seeing the Giants' BW Webb being floated around as a possibility to replace Dennard.  He struggled outside, but played well once he moved to the slot last year.  He will likely be cheaper than Dennard and Anarumo will logically want to bring in some of his guys.

The Bengals really need to bring in a solid RT, a LB that can cover, and a #1 TE in FA, as well as retain/replace Dennard.  If we bring in a huge name at one of those positions, it's likely going to mean cheaping out on some of the others.  However, big name FA's also help move tickets and they are obviously trying to build up the excitement level.

However, a word of caution is that FA's often do not perform to the level you expect them to.  I saw a PFT article awhile back that pointed out that out of all the FA's that switched teams last year, only 4 made the Pro Bowl.  Out of those 4, one made it as a return man and one made it as a ST's player, so only 2 position players made it.  The odds of landing a top shelf performer are not great.

TE is kind of a wasteland in FA, our guys are probably as good as anything outside of Cook who I am kind of meh on.

I think a mid level RT like Jawan James is in play, see the Miami connection plus I think his price tag is serviceable.

LB is actually deeper than you’d expect. I don’t think mosley is in play and honestly I’m not a huge fan, but I think a Hicks or Wright could be.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 12:20 PM)McC Wrote: Thing is, very few Bengal fans even ask for the mega deal.  How many non rushing LB's get huge deals?  Or RT's for that matter?  Just stop signing bums looking for one more payday.  Do something like last year.

Right

We're not asking for a giant money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ CB, LT, or DE that breaks the bank. Just s good LB and OL that isn't in double digits in years in the league or some washed out has been former 1st round pick that never will be.

And get rid of players that are no longer productive instead of honoring the full length of contract.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 07:14 PM)Au165 Wrote: TE is kind of a wasteland in FA, our guys are probably as good as anything outside of Cook who I am kind of meh on.

I think a mid level RT like Jawan James is in play, see the Miami connection plus I think his price tag is serviceable.

LB is actually deeper than you’d expect. I don’t think mosley is in play and honestly I’m not a huge fan, but I think a Hicks or Wright could be.

Cook would make sense due to need and the connection with Bryan Callahan.  The problem is he's on the wrong side of 30 and far and away the best TE on the market, so you have to watch getting locked into a bad contract.  I think Jesse James is significantly better than Kroft and Uzi, though.  Eifert is obviously elite when healthy, but a major gamble for any kind of significant money.

The Bengals have to do something at RT.  If they can't land a quality in FA or via trade, they are basically going to be forced to draft the best T available at 11 in a draft loaded with great defensive talent.  I do like James as an option.  Brown scares me a bit, and he would be the "big name" get.

There are a lot of LB's that can really help us, so I definitely agree there.  Plus, LB is going to be our best bang for our FA bucks.  I like Mosely a lot, but signing him probably means not getting a quality player at another area of need.  

A big thing is will the Bengals forgo their usual $10 mil rainy day rollover due to Taylor needing to bring in talent that fits the new systems.  If they loosen the purse strings in this way, this would possibly allow them to land a big name at certain position groups and fill their holes.  I think the asking price of S's is going to suffer due to the glut of top talent available.  Landon Collins would certainly qualify as a big name and has a lot of scheme versatility.
Reply/Quote
As if anyone was expecting something different.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I for one never expected them to really look to spending big in FA, I'd rather build through the draft and reward our own. With that in mind I'd like to see this in the offseason:

1) Release Burfict- It creates 6.8 million cap space and gets rid of a distraction.

Free Agency Acquisitions (from Elsewere)

1) Juwaan James- RT, allows us to focus on fixing the defense

2) Jesse James-TE, solid backup

3) KJ Wright- LB, becomes nice get to pair with a draft pick

Re-Sign (Ours)

1) Darqueze Dennard

2) Tyler Eifert- incentive laden of course!!

3) Tyler Boyd-extension
Reply/Quote
I don't see a lot in the article that changes my view of what they're going to do. It's going to likely be a mid tier guy or two, most likely.

There are starters on this team that could easily be replaced by B-level guys. Any player on the right side of the line or playing linebacker, for example.

I'd like to see a linebacker like Wright or Hicks brought in, then perhaps a DT like Shelton to mix in that the guys we have. That would free us up to let Taylor build his offense with guys he likes in the draft.

I'm feeling more and more like they almost have to get a OT in round 1. Nobody out there in FA warrants the money they will get at that position in a down year for tackles. Get a young guy that you can plug in on the right side that may be able to eventually move to the left.
Reply/Quote
The good news, I guess, is that the Bengals can sign a second-tier free-agent offensive lineman and it would still be an improvement.
Reply/Quote
what our front office fails to understand. if you can address some glaring holes in FA and bring in 2 long term starters
then you can be more flexible in the draft.
you cant entirely build a roster from drafting alone unless your GM has this incredible track record of drafting.
wait we have Duke Tobin.
we dont need free agency. we have 39 6th RD picks help improve this roster
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 01:15 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: You would think the Bengals could change their strategy after 27 years of failing.  But that’s just me thinking crazy

I honestly believe that 2005 and 2015 were our years, but those two QB injuries doomed them.  It doesn't make it any easier, and we will always hear the narrative of not winning a playoff game since the internet was founded, but the team was in place those two years.  
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 11:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I see that the Enquirer produced an article, just last night, to calm and explain away all of the hopeful expectations of fans looking forward to some wholesale free agency moves.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/03/09/cincinnati-bengals-free-agents-philosophy-not-money/3103115002/

Why do fans need to be coddled  by reminding us with FA low expectations? We live it yearly and know the Bengals build through the draft and rarely go after a high priced FA and will go after a couple of mid level guys.

In spite of the past, we can still dream. We are capable of dreaming, but knowing our FA haul likely becomes a nightmare. Who knows, maybe this is the year they shock us.  Cool
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 09:48 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I for one never expected them to really look to spending big in FA, I'd rather build through the draft and reward our own. With that in mind I'd like to see this in the offseason:

1) Release Burfict- It creates 6.8 million cap space and gets rid of a distraction.

Free Agency Acquisitions (from Elsewere)

1) Juwaan James- RT, allows us to focus on fixing the defense

2) Jesse James-TE, solid backup

3) KJ Wright- LB, becomes nice get to pair with a draft pick

Re-Sign (Ours)

1) Darqueze Dennard

2) Tyler Eifert- incentive laden of course!!

3) Tyler Boyd-extension

I would be thrilled if we got this done.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I get why we're all focused on if the Bengals will let Taylor get his guys and what not, but the telling part to me is that Dennard isn't signed yet. That should've already been done.

Also, the same argument continues. You have some people who want to be active in free agency and another group who says breaking the bank is a bad idea. There is middle ground. It would be possible for the Bengals to sign impact free agents who don't break the bank. I'd love Mosley if nothing other than to screw over Baltimore. However, there are LB upgrades that would cost significantly less. Wanting to sign impact outside free agents does not mean use all of our cap space and put us in cap hell.
Reply/Quote