Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't go outside tonight!
The moon will bleed and you'll get some on you!  Shocked
Actually it's just a lunar eclipse and quite harmless unless you're a superstitious lout.. 
Sometime around 11:30 the moon should turn red, about the color of an electric burner just getting hot enough to glow..
You might want to check your local weather forecast..

From a part of an article in the NYT about the eclipse..
Quote:When the moon is about three-quarters of the way into the umbra, it should start lighting up with a reddish hue, “like your electric range just when the coils begin to glow,” Mr. Rao said. At 11:29 p.m., the moon will be in the deepest portion of the Earth’s shadow and the total eclipse will begin in earnest. The eclipse will peak shortly after midnight, at roughly 12:12 a.m., and remain that copper color until after 1 a.m. The moon will leave the umbra at 1:56 a.m., regaining its pearlescent hue as the work week begins.Viewers farther west won’t have to strain to stay up quite as late, with the most stunning views of the red moon beginning about 8:29 p.m. Pacific time, the peak occurring just before 9:12 p.m., and the total eclipse ending by 9:54 p.m. Observers in Hawaii will be able to see the moon rise looking like a reddish ball, Mr. Rao said, while those in Europe and Africa will view the opposite effect, watching the moon drop below the horizon during the total eclipse.The quirks of celestial mechanics mean that totality — when the moon is blood red and in the deepest shadow — lasts longer than average, roughly 1 hour and 25 minutes, giving skywatchers ample opportunity to savor the event. This makes it the longest total lunar eclipse visible for much of the United States since August 1989.

Last solar eclipse a few years ago I was almost directly under it here in South Carolina.. That was pretty cool. The temperature dropped about 15 degrees for about 10 minutes or so. This time, a lunar eclipse will last a bit longer, several hours since the earth is much larger than the moon..
Just in case you're not familiar with the differences between lunar and solar eclipses.. For solar the moon covers the sun from earth. With a lunar the earth covers the moon from the sun..
Enjoy if you have clear weather.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sounds interesting. Never seen one but sounds like this will be the one to watch.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 10:02 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Sounds interesting. Never seen one but sounds like this will be the one to watch.

Eclipses are always fun...unless you get scared and think it's a sign of the end times and you're going straight to H E double dirty Q-tips.. 
You're all going straight to H E double dirty Q-tips you know..  Ninja

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 10:08 AM)grampahol Wrote: Eclipses are always fun...unless you get scared and think it's a sign of the end times and you're going straight to H E double dirty Q-tips.. 
You're all going straight to H E double dirty Q-tips you know..  Ninja

My wife was not "religious" but she believed a lot in spirits and magic and that type of stuff.

She went into labor on the night of 11-9-03 with our first child.  It was almost an hour drive to the hospital and it was a full lunar eclipse (with a full moon).  My wife did not know about the eclipse and she was so preoccupied with being in labor for the first time in her life that she did not pay attention to the moon.  At one point I had to stop the car and let he out because she was getting sick.  I was sure that if she saw the moon she would b convinced that she was having a devil child.  But she never noticed.

I don't believe in any of that super natural stuff, but it was kind of creepy stressing out over my wife with that big red full moon in the sky. 
Reply/Quote
I got to see that most recent solar eclipse through a welder’s mask. It was pretty cool.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 11:32 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I got to see that most recent solar eclipse through a welder’s mask. It was pretty cool.

I live right on the line of the last solar eclipse.

It never got dark at my home but I drove just 20 miles south and it was full eclipse (but for a short time).
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 01:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I live right on the line of the last solar eclipse.

It never got dark at my home but I drove just 20 miles south and it was full eclipse (but for a short time).
It went almost directly over us..It might have been off by a mile or so, but not by much in the grand scheme of things.. Welders mask really helps in a solar eclipse. In addition to the paper glasses they sold all over town I had a welding thing from my snazzy harbor freight welder..  Kind of like a welding mask except it's on a stick more or less.. 
We were a tourist hub for a day here.. traffic got really backed up for a single day.. 

Reply/Quote
Anyone manage to go outside last night and see the blood moon?  I did and it appears MUCH SMALLER THAN NORMAL without the sun reflecting all the light back at us. 

"I know the earth is round for I have seen the shadow on the moon." ~Ferdinand Magellan 

Reply/Quote
Don't go out tonight!

It's bound to take your life!
Reply/Quote