Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Don't look but a 4th String QB won a game and we......
(10-14-2019, 04:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like ZT isn't going to bench Dalton any time soon.

I agree.  This whole approach of "we believe in everyone in this room" mantra may work in college but in the NFL, you need to realistically assess talent at each position and scream to the front office when the talent is lacking.    The O-Line is bad, but even worse is the backers position.  Not a single backer should remain on the Bengals staff next year.  Not a single one.  

I know Pratt is a rookie, and I am willing to give him a pass at this point, but man, did he look slow out there...Billings looked quicker.  

Taylor has to reach the conclusion that Finley needs a shot.  Look at what Donald did for the Jets.  He changed the energy of the team.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 03:56 PM)corpjet Wrote: Nice.......while there O-Line is better than ours good call for them to bench Mariotta

Actually I don't think it was a very smart move.

Mariota came into that game with a 103 passer rating despite being sacked more than any QB in the league.  And the guy they replaced him with was not some hot shot rookie bursting with potential.  It was Ryan Tannehill.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 04:43 PM)corpjet Wrote: I disagree, how's the QB situation in.....

1. Tampa (How many picks for Jameis yesterday)
2. Miami (Rosen benched, yes they may draft one?)
3. New Orleans (because of injury)
4. Redskins (with Haskins waiting)
5.  Broncos (is Flacco their guy, Drew Lock?)
6.  Bears (Mitch has regressed)
7.  Colts (is Jacoby the long term answer?)

Lots of landing places for the Ginger Genius....

Yeah, those teams and others could use a quality backup
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Why is the Saints on that list.. have you watched Bridgewater?
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 05:14 PM)The Clapp Wrote: Why is the Saints on that list.. have you watched Bridgewater?

I believe he's a Free Agent after this year
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 04:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I agree.  This whole approach of "we believe in everyone in this room" mantra may work in college but in the NFL, you need to realistically assess talent at each position and scream to the front office when the talent is lacking.    The O-Line is bad, but even worse is the backers position.  Not a single backer should remain on the Bengals staff next year.  Not a single one.  

I know Pratt is a rookie, and I am willing to give him a pass at this point, but man, did he look slow out there...Billings looked quicker.  

Taylor has to reach the conclusion that Finley needs a shot.  Look at what Donald did for the Jets.  He changed the energy of the team.  

Sam Darnold was a top 5 pick, and probably the best QB prospect in that draft. Ryan Finley well, isn't.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 11:24 AM)BengalChris Wrote: This season's 0-6 start has nothing to do with Marvin Lewis, at all. It lays squarely on the shoulders of this new coaching staff and the front office.

Zac Taylor now has the record for the worst start by a Bengals HC in the team's history.

This team is Mike Brownized. It's as if Mikey boy has returned to his 90's roots.

[Image: 6980i4B5A79CB0D86C859?v=1.0]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think it's the few injuries.  It's the number of truly horrid players.  The entire LBing corp is really bad.  Not a real starter among them.  Steelers killed us by moving up to get Bush. Although I guess I can't assume they would have picked him.

Yup! We have horrible units, not just a couple weak links but whole damn units that wouldn’t even be backups on most teams. Our LBers are non existent, D line has apparently retired, Oline is well I can’t even say it without getting banned, a QB who can’t make things happen and unproven coaches. I say unproven since well they are. Normally I would say it all starts with the coaching staff but it’s not fair here when you have Mike Brown as they owner who is probably hand cuffing the staff from the tools they need to succeed. In short it truly is a shit show from the top down.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 04:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Taylor has to reach the conclusion that Finley needs a shot.  Look at what Donald did for the Jets.  He changed the energy of the team.  

I'm not saying Dalton should be above being benched, but the Jets went from a 3rd string QB to Darnold, who is a 3rd overall pick in his 2nd year.  Dalton to Finley isn't likely to be such an obvious swing in a positive direction.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying Dalton should be above being benched, but the Jets went from a 3rd string QB to Darnold, who is a 3rd overall pick in his 2nd year.  Dalton to Finley isn't likely to be such an obvious swing in a positive direction.

This is a coaching staff that apparently signed off on bringing Preston Brown back...and also was like 'Yeah Vigil and Preston Brown can handle things in a 2 LB set'. No need to upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 06:27 PM)jason Wrote: Sam Darnold was a top 5 pick, and probably the best QB prospect in that draft. Ryan Finley well, isn't.

Which raises the issue of how an elite QB can impact the team.  Give the Bengals Burrow and maybe he will have similar impact.  But I still want to see what Finley brings.  I was impressed by his natural pocket presence and movement.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 04:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: Dalton won't have any trade value after this season.

Especially if/when he gets benched.
Ryan  Tannehill and Flacco both were traded for a fourth RD pick. Dalton could get that or a third Comp pick.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 11:14 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Ryan  Tannehill and Flacco both were traded for a fourth RD pick. Dalton could get that or a third Comp pick.

Easily and we have to make that trade this off season unless a contender has their starter go down before the deadline like the Raiders did
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:59 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Which raises the issue of how an elite QB can impact the team.  Give the Bengals Burrow and maybe he will have similar impact. 

Darnold is 5-10 as a starter.

I'll pass on that type of impact.
Reply/Quote
For the record, I’m not against benching Andy Dalton and trying Ryan Finley. However, with this being said, I want to remind one and all Ryan Finley has yet to play a single snap against any NFL first team defense — and practicing against our pathetic defensive scrubs won’t prepare him for this at all. If Zac Taylor wants to take the risk he should do it against the Jaguars and not wait until the Bengals face the Patriots or the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 10:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: For the record, I’m not against benching Andy Dalton and trying Ryan Finley. However, with this being said, I want to remind one and all Ryan Finley has yet to play a single snap against any NFL first team defense — and practicing against our pathetic defensive scrubs won’t prepare him for this at all.  If Zac Taylor wants to take the risk he should do it against the Jaguars and not wait until the Bengals face the Patriots or the Steelers.

Yeah...it likely won't go well. And I doubt that they make the switch 6 games in.

The way the line blocks, chances are high that Dalton will get injured and miss some time.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 06:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Darnold is 5-10 as a starter.

I'm not gonna disagree, but in Darnold's defense... There isn't a whole lot of talent around him. I know many of us think QBs put the team on their shoulders, and will them to wins, but we know they don't.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 06:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Darnold is 5-10 as a starter.

No doubt. We should most likely stick with the 3-12 (including losing his last 9) record our 9th year starter has given us in his last 15 games; sky's the limit. Not like that Darnold kid that has pretty much shown us all he has to offer. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

1. Winston > Dalton in the potential department. That's a push at best.
2. Miami will have #1 or #2 pick in the draft. Long term, that is better than Dalton based on perceived upside/talent.
3. Bridgewater/Breese > Dalton by miles
4. Redskins have Haskins and will stick with that long term. They aren't trading for a 30+ QB who had one great half a season 5 seasons ago and stunk/been just ok every year after.
5. Elway's a HOF QB and probably laughs at Dalton. Flacco v Dalton is a push as the Broncos prob want a #1 QB long term.
6. Mitch regressed? Dalton has, too. Only, Mitch is coming off a good season and is very young still.
7. Jacoby > Dalton So, yes, Jacoby + a draft pick is a better long term solution than Dalton and - both of those things.

The window to trade AD for anything other than a button and a stick of Wrigley's has long passed. The Bengals gave him the keys, he's shown he can't driver the car.

QBs need to be tractors, not trailers. AD is definitely not pulling his team across any finish lines. Welcome to journeyman status, AD. Dalton is about to be Ryan Fitzpatrick/Jon Kitna/Brad Johnson (without the ring)/Gus Frerotte/Rob Johnson (without the arm) 2.0.
Reply/Quote
They're starting Tannehill over Mariota, for a "spark". Can't we try the same? Why are we protecting our backup QB at 0-6? Just play the ***** and see what he's got behind this shit o-line. It can't be worse than Andy's performances, regardless of Andy's padded stats because we have no run game. Those sacks and fear of being sacked he takes are drive killers.

Dalton is a backup QB on any other team that has been our starter for way too long. He's OK for a "pinch" drive, 1TD if your main QB exited the game. Viewed in this way, it's a sad feeling lol.
Reply/Quote