Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't worry...the draft is only 6 months away!
We'll make some questionable draft picks, and the hype for the upcoming season will be at a fever pitch.

Jonah will be coming back. Maybe Glenn will be healthy. Maybe a full year of AJ.

We'll read some articles about the injuries. About the close losses. About how the coaches have more experience. About breakout stars like Tate and Ross.

Rinse. Repeat.
Reply/Quote
I am a bit intrigued to see what we do in the draft. It's early, but we should have a super high pick and I'm assuming we just go top available o-line guy, but we did trade down to get Glenn which I didn't coming. I just don't bet on MB making any big moves and rather taking o-line with whatever pick we have.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 12:14 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I am a bit intrigued to see what we do in the draft. It's early, but we should have a super high pick and I'm assuming we just go top available o-line guy, but we did trade down to get Glenn which I didn't coming. I just don't bet on MB making any big moves and rather taking o-line with whatever pick we have.

Shame we can’t draft Sample again.
Reply/Quote
I'm not excited at all. I'm sure we will get players we cant use.
Reply/Quote
The only good part of the draft next year is its in Vegas, we will party it up, win some money and cry after the Bengals 1st pick when its another Oregon QB, I can hear the chants now, Suck for the Duck
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:18 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Shame we can’t draft Sample again.

I'll never understand that one as long as I live.  I swear it was Zak trying to show how smart he was with this out of the blue pick that nobody else saw and turned out to be amazing.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 09:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'll never understand that one as long as I live.  I swear it was Zak trying to show how smart he was with this out of the blue pick that nobody else saw and turned out to be amazing.

I understood it. He picked the best blocking TE in the draft to help out the Oline. What he didn't realize, is this Oline is beyond help. He thought he had the left side ready with Williams and Boling, and Sample was going to help out the right side. Then his left side went away. It didn't work out, but the logic was sound, since there weren't very many other good Oline to choose from.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 09:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I understood it. He picked the best blocking TE in the draft to help out the Oline. What he didn't realize, is this Oline is beyond help. He thought he had the left side ready with Williams and Boling, and Sample was going to help out the right side. Then his left side went away. It didn't work out, but the logic was sound, since there weren't very many other good Oline to choose from.

It was never the pick. It was when. Could have have had him 2 rounds later. I don’t believe for a second other teams were considering taking Sample in the second. That’s just bs they tried to sell to us.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 09:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'll never understand that one as long as I live.  I swear it was Zak trying to show how smart he was with this out of the blue pick that nobody else saw and turned out to be amazing.

Might be spot on ?

(10-14-2019, 09:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I understood it. He picked the best blocking TE in the draft to help out the Oline. What he didn't realize, is this Oline is beyond help. He thought he had the left side ready with Williams and Boling, and Sample was going to help out the right side. Then his left side went away. It didn't work out, but the logic was sound, since there weren't very many other good Oline to choose from.

See below post.

(10-14-2019, 10:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It was never the pick. It was when. Could have have had him 2 rounds later. I don’t believe for a second other teams were considering taking Sample in the second. That’s just bs they tried to sell to us.

Right

one round anyways.
Reply/Quote

Well...then take him in Round 4.
Reply/Quote

Why not draft an actual Tackle or Guard in the 2nd Round to help the offensive line out?
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:22 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why not draft an actual Tackle or Guard in the 2nd Round to help the offensive line out?

If I remember right, there weren't any worth drafting.....
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:22 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why not draft an actual Tackle or Guard in the 2nd Round to help the offensive line out?

Or a linebacker.  Not sure if there was one available at that spot that was worth the pick, but that didn't stop them from taking sample.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:24 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Or a linebacker.  Not sure if there was one available at that spot that was worth the pick, but that didn't stop them from taking sample.

3 picks after Sample, Houston took OT: Max Scharping 
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 3 picks after Sample, Houston took OT: Max Scharping 

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm just saying pretty much anyone but a fourth round TE.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm just saying pretty much anyone but a fourth round TE.

Yes. I would have selected DK Metcalf. I was talking him up at the time.

And really, how great would that have been for a rebuild? When AJ Green leaves, you have Metcalf and Boyd and maybe Ross.
Reply/Quote
Feel like this team is 3 great drafts away from even being competitive assuming we use the same free agent approach over the next few years. Outside of Hubbard, Boyd , Bates ,Hopkins, Billings and maybe William Jackson III and hopefully Williams this team has little young talent going forward, with none of them being game changers. On offense the Bengals need to use the draft to find a franchise Qb, Right tackle, possibly two guards if Price or Jordan don’t develop and a WR if Green leaves. On defense we need a staring DE to replace the aging Dunlap and possibly a DT to replace Geno. Two starting linebackers , and maybe two corner backs. Dennard is probably not on the team after this season, Kirkpatrick is getting old and they have a huge decision to make on resigning William Jackson III. I don’t see a quick turnaround and feel like the Bengals might be picking in the top 5 for the next few seasons.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 12:40 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Feel like this team is 3 great drafts away from even being competitive assuming we use the same free agent approach over the next few years.  Outside of Hubbard, Boyd , Bates  ,Hopkins, Billings and maybe William Jackson III and hopefully Williams this team has little young talent going forward, with none of them being game changers.  On offense the Bengals need to use the draft to find a franchise Qb, Right tackle, possibly two guards if Price or Jordan don’t develop and a WR if Green leaves. On defense we need a staring DE to replace the aging Dunlap and possibly a DT to replace Geno. Two starting linebackers , and maybe two corner backs. Dennard is probably not on the team after this season,  Kirkpatrick is getting old and they have a huge decision to make on resigning William Jackson III. I don’t see a quick turnaround and feel like the Bengals might be picking in the top 5 for the next few seasons.

You're right. With the model that the Bengals use...they basically have to hit on 3-4 drafts in 5 years to be competitive...and keep hitting to maintain that.

That's where Model Model breaks down.
Reply/Quote
The more I follow the draft, the Bengals at times worry me, that they can develop players. In the 2015 draft, in particular, they had no significant needs and could have gone BPA throughout. This was verified in that they went 12-4 with very little help from those draft picks. The problem is, none of those picks developed....only Uzomah. So the Bengals were in an ideal spot, and terribly missed. Now they have tons of needs, almost the exact opposite. There was a time, even when our record wasn't that great, that people thought our talent level was high regardless.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 01:08 PM)Goalpost Wrote: The more I follow the draft, the Bengals at times worry me, that they can develop players.  In the 2015 draft, in particular, they had no significant needs and could have gone BPA throughout.  This was verified in that they went 12-4 with very little help from those draft picks.  The problem is, none of those picks developed....only Uzomah.  So the Bengals were in an ideal spot, and terribly missed.  Now they have tons of needs, almost the exact opposite.  There was a time, even when our record wasn't that great, that people thought our talent level was high regardless.

And they lost a lot of guys to free agency.
Reply/Quote