Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump Jacked Up His Campaign’s Trump Tower Rent Once Somebody Else Was Paying
(08-25-2016, 08:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: My wife works for a food bank.  Do you know what they do when a big donor wants to stop in and see the operation?

They make darn sure their schedules open so they can meet with them.

Do know what they would do if the donor asked if the could take the forklift home with him?

Politely, but firmly, tell him no but thank him for the donations and hope they continue.

Every group that has large donors will meet with them.

Every one of them.

That is "obvious grifting".  But I think if the Clinton's released where every dime came from and every dime went and every email with every contact ever some people would STILL call them crooks.

WTF point is the above attempting to make?  You don't think the Clintons are grifters?  How many other people do you know that have amassed 100M+ in speaking fees?  

Jack Welch commands, or used to, $200k per engagement.  But I doubt he ever amassed anywhere near $100M for those speeches, despite the fact that he's actually run a business successfully.

Those speaking engagements are largely gratuitous, I mean gratuities, and you know it.  That's grifting.  And don't get me started on Chelsea getting a plum $600k gig with NBC - can't cut into Bill and Hill's own grifting.
--------------------------------------------------------

(08-26-2016, 04:34 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: WTF point is the above attempting to make?  You don't think the Clintons are grifters?  How many other people do you know that have amassed 100M+ in speaking fees?  

Jack Welch commands, or used to, $200k per engagement.  But I doubt he ever amassed anywhere near $100M for those speeches, despite the fact that he's actually run a business successfully.

Those speaking engagements are largely gratuitous, I mean gratuities, and you know it.  That's grifting.  And don't get me started on Chelsea getting a plum $600k gig with NBC - can't cut into Bill and Hill's own grifting.

There probably aren't many people who can command that kind of money.  They ones that do can certainly rake it in as fast as they want.

You don't have to like it, but your idea that "no one" wants to read a book they got $1 million to write (plus royalties I assume) says SOMEBODY wanted them to write it.

You entire argument is based on what you think...and while I'm sure you think your opinion is more important than anyone else's it is not.

They got paid to do what they do.  That was his "job".  Sucks that someone can make that much money that fast while just talking but that's still not "grifting".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-26-2016, 05:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: You don't have to like it, but your idea that "no one" wants to read a book they got $1 million to write (plus royalties I assume) says SOMEBODY wanted them to write it.

Her book was a huge flop, and she got an $8M advance for it.  That's mostly a gift from her supporters...which is why they've received so many speaking engagements at outrageous fees.  Sorry, but they are getting 3,4-5X per engagement, from businesses, than what Jack Welch got - and he's a BUSINESS mega-superstar. Just admit what it is - a handout from their cronies.

But that's not pay-for-play or anything like that.

LMFAO I see a headline that Obama is negotiating a $25M book deal.

Here's the biggest book deals the past decade:
1) Multiple Best selling author James Patterson - $100M....for 17 books
2) Amy Schumer - $9M
3) JK Rowling - $8M
3) Hillary Clinton - $8M
--------------------------------------------------------

(08-26-2016, 06:57 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Her book was a huge flop, and she got an $8M advance for it.  That's mostly a gift from her supporters...which is why they've received so many speaking engagements at outrageous fees.  Sorry, but they are getting 3,4-5X per engagement, from businesses, than what Jack Welch got - and he's a BUSINESS mega-superstar.  Just admit what it is - a handout from their cronies.

But that's not pay-for-play or anything like that.

LMFAO I see a headline that Obama is negotiating a $25M book deal.

Here's the biggest book deals the past decade:
1) Multiple Best selling author James Patterson - $100M....for 17 books
2) Amy Schumer - $9M
3) JK Rowling - $8M
3) Hillary Clinton - $8M

If an NFL team signs a player to a ridiculous amount of money and he flops...was it just his cronies helping him or were they making a bet that they he would be successful.

Of the above list of highest paid book deals (no link) how many former Secretary of State/Senator/First Ladies are there to compare Clinton to?  Do you NOT see that there is a super small group of people in certain areas that can command more than almost everyone else in their respective fields?

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/16/nyregion/hillary-clinton-book-advance-8-million-is-near-record.html

Quote:Senator-elect Hillary Rodham Clinton agreed last night to sell Simon & Schuster a memoir of her years as first lady, for the near-record advance of about $8 million.

The deal ends a frantic weeklong bidding war that provoked widespread curiosity about just what she planned to write. Mrs. Clinton had told publishers she planned to discuss her feelings about the scandals of her husband's administration as well as her thoughts about women's changing roles in the world.

The advance, on royalties from the worldwide publishing rights to her memoir, is higher than the $7.1 million sum that John F. Welch Jr., chairman of General Electric, recently received for the North American rights to his memoirs, but it is lower than the total he stands to receive after selling the rights in foreign markets.

Mrs. Clinton's $8 million advance is just below the advance of $8.5 million received by Pope John Paul II in 1994, believed to be the largest ever for worldwide rights. A Clinton spokeswoman said she would give an undisclosed amount to charity.

The Pope.

THE POPE!

Why?  Because there are a limited number of them and fewer still who write their memoirs.

That's why there was a bidding war that drove the price up.  That's why the price was so high.

As to sales it sold pretty well

Quote:The book sold more than one million copies in the first month following publication;[9] its sales during its first week of availability set a record for a non-fiction book.[10] The success of the book surprised many in the publishing industry, who thought Simon & Schuster had overpaid for the work.[11] It also surprised pundits who had doubted her selling power, including CNN's Tucker Carlson, who had said, "If they sell a million copies of this book, I'll eat my shoes and my tie. I will."[9] (Once past the million mark, Clinton appeared on Carlson's show to present him with a shoe-shaped chocolate cake.[9]) Clinton's energetic promotion of the book, which included signing an estimated 20,000 copies (causing her to require ice and wrist support treatments), was credited for part of the success.[11] By 2007, she had earned over $10 million from the book.[12]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_History#cite_note-12][/url]

I don't know if they made money on it, but that's not my problem.

Bad business?  Maybe.  Cronyism?  No.  (Although nice pivot from "grifting".)
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.