Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donavan Smith At Left Tackle?
StripeHype and Fansided list the Bengals as a potential trade partner for Smith and a few other sites list him as a possible landing spot when he's (inevitably) released by the Bucs.

He had an off-year last season after his injury, which hopefully keeps his demand down and allows us to sign him at a reasonable rate:

Quote:Before we dive in too much, I'll say this -- Smith was not very good in 2022. That right there will make Bengals fans wary of this potential trade. Smith particularly struggled as a run-blocker, notching a 41.5 PFF grade there. He did manage a 70.0 pass-blocking grade, however.
If Cincinnati decided to pull the trigger and make a deal with the Buccaneers for Smith's services, they'd be banking on him returning to his 2021 form. That year saw Smith put up impressive numbers across the board (83.3 overall, 84.7 pass-blocking, 70.0 run-blocking) but he did struggle in the playoffs that season.

According to Kristopher Knox of Bleacher Report, it could take a third-round pick to land Smith. I don't think the Bengals should bite at that deal but a fourth or fifth-round selection is worth the risk. Smith is turning 30 in June so he wouldn't be the long-term answer so trading any Day 1 or Day 2 picks would not be a wise move.

Smith is also expensive so it could make sense for the Bengals to wait and see if the Bucs can even find a trade partner. If not, the Buccaneers might release him and Cincinnati could then sign him on their own terms and not have to pay him what he's due on his contract.

Also, we obviously want someone that can run block, but pass blocking is MUCH more important, so his low run blocking grade doesn't concern me as much.

Bringing in him (assuming he can play at his 2021 form) would be very smart because it would bring in a proven vet and open up options for us, even if we do go with a tackle early because it wouldn't hurt to have depth.

I don't think he'll command too much money coming off the injury and hopefully he's excited enough at what we're building here to sign with us!
Reply/Quote
he's not good
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 04:34 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he's not good

He wasn't last season because he was injured, but he was a pretty damn good pass blocker before that, ranking 2nd in pass blocking ratings among tackles in 2021:

Code:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Donovan Smith: 84.7 Pass-Blocking Grade last season<br><br>That was 2nd in the NFL among OT (min. 1000 snaps) <a href="https://t.co/zdPjy50q5W">pic.twitter.com/zdPjy50q5W</a></p>&mdash; PFF TB Buccaneers (@PFF_Buccaneers) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_Buccaneers/status/1506645370507509762?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 23, 2022</a></blockquote> &lt;script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"&gt;&lt;/script&gt;
Here's the Twitter link with that stat.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 04:56 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He wasn't last season because he was injured, but he was a pretty damn good pass blocker before that, ranking 2nd in pass blocking ratings among tackles in 2001:

Code:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Donovan Smith: 84.7 Pass-Blocking Grade last season<br><br>That was 2nd in the NFL among OT (min. 1000 snaps) <a href="https://t.co/zdPjy50q5W">pic.twitter.com/zdPjy50q5W</a></p>&mdash; PFF TB Buccaneers (@PFF_Buccaneers) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_Buccaneers/status/1506645370507509762?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 23, 2022</a></blockquote> &lt;script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"&gt;&lt;/script&gt;
Here's the Twitter link with that stat.

May be a lowkey low risk high reward guy. If he’s healthy he could rejuvenate his career
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 08:41 PM)Housh Wrote: May be a lowkey low risk high reward guy. If he’s healthy he could rejuvenate his career

That's what I was thinking and I doubt that he'll be too expensive.

Like I said, it would really open things up for us.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2023, 08:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That's what I was thinking and I doubt that he'll be too expensive.

Like I said, it would really open things up for us.

We’re probably gonna have to hit on a guy like him similar to how Tufele became a rotational guy.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 04:28 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: StripeHype and Fansided list the Bengals as a potential trade partner for Smith and a few other sites list him as a possible landing spot when he's (inevitably) released by the Bucs.

He had an off-year last season after his injury, which hopefully keeps his demand down and allows us to sign him at a reasonable rate:

Also, we obviously want someone that can run block, but pass blocking is MUCH more important, so his low run blocking grade doesn't concern me as much.

Bringing in him (assuming he can play at his 2021 form) would be very smart because it would bring in a proven vet and open up options for us, even if we do go with a tackle early because it wouldn't hurt to have depth.

I don't think he'll command too much money coming off the injury and hopefully he's excited enough at what we're building here to sign with us!

Makes a lot of sense honestly to wait till he is cut and land Donavan. Maybe he comes back 100% for us yah never know.

Sure isn't AS much of a gamble as Taylor Lewan staying healthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 04:34 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he's not good

He was in 2021 when he wasn't injured. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2023, 04:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Makes a lot of sense honestly to wait till he is cut and land Donavan. Maybe he comes back 100% for us yah never know.

Sure isn't AS much of a gamble as Taylor Lewan staying healthy.
It's worth at least bringing him in for competition and make them battle it out to put the best player on the field.

If he returned to form (or close), he'd be a hell of a signing.
(03-04-2023, 04:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He was in 2021 when he wasn't injured. Mellow

That's what I'm saying and I see no reason why he won't be able to return to form.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2023, 04:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He was in 2021 when he wasn't injured. Mellow

Yes but how was he in 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017?  He gave up 6 sacks, 6 sacks, 8 sacks and 7 sacks in those years.  Over the last 6 seasons he has had one great year in 2021, the rest are just mediocre.

If you want to compare to Taylor Lewan, Lewan hasnt given up more than 4 sacks in any season of the last 6.
Reply/Quote
Pollack already committed to Williams being the starter at LT this season as long as he's healthy.
Maybe it was a smokescreen, but I doubt it since Bengals don't really smokescreen.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2023, 11:34 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Yes but how was he in 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017?  He gave up 6 sacks, 6 sacks, 8 sacks and 7 sacks in those years.  Over the last 6 seasons he has had one great year in 2021, the rest are just mediocre.

If you want to compare to Taylor Lewan, Lewan hasnt given up more than 4 sacks in any season of the last 6.

True, that isn't a ringing endorsement for Donavan Smith that is for sure.

(03-06-2023, 12:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Pollack already committed to Williams being the starter at LT this season as long as he's healthy.
Maybe it was a smokescreen, but I doubt it since Bengals don't really smokescreen.

We just have to hope Jonah gets healthy and turns it around or Carman does, hopefully both.

If Carman can play RT like Pollack is saying and play well, that changes everything.
Reply/Quote
Donovan Smith is indeed being released by the Bucs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35805637/source-buccaneers-releasing-left-tackle-donovan-smith
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 12:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Pollack already committed to Williams being the starter at LT this season as long as he's healthy.

I don’t really think it would be a smokescreen in the typical sense but just more a vote of confidence because, if it falls through and we don’t get any replacement, do you really want a starter he wasn’t the first choice?
Reply/Quote

Im just not a Williams fan.  Even when healthy he is not that good in pass protection.  Some fans can say the 12 sacks given up in 2022 were because of his knee but in 2021 he gave up 8 sacks which still put him in the top 5 sacks allowed at Tackle.  Do the Bengals want to put Jonah out there again for the 2023 season and have him keep getting pushed back in to Burrow allowing for more sacks.  I think you trade him if any team shows interest and you use that 12.6 million for a free agent LT.  At worst if you cant sign a quality FA you are left with Carman playing LT which isnt a bad option as he played as well as Jonah when given the opportunity.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 04:51 PM)Nepa Wrote: Donovan Smith is indeed being released by the Bucs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35805637/source-buccaneers-releasing-left-tackle-donovan-smith

Taylor Lewan is better than Smith
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 05:56 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Im just not a Williams fan.  Even when healthy he is not that good in pass protection.  Some fans can say the 12 sacks given up in 2022 were because of his knee but in 2021 he gave up 8 sacks which still put him in the top 5 sacks allowed at Tackle.  Do the Bengals want to put Jonah out there again for the 2023 season and have him keep getting pushed back in to Burrow allowing for more sacks.  I think you trade him if any team shows interest and you use that 12.6 million for a free agent LT.  At worst if you cant sign a quality FA you are left with Carman playing LT which isnt a bad option as he played as well as Jonah when given the opportunity.

I never plan on a trade unless/until it actually happens.
And Bengals won't have Williams sit the bench while making $12.6 mill.
So unless he's traded, expect him to start this year as long as he's healthy.
They can't cut him because the 5th year option is fully guaranteed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 06:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I never plan on a trade unless/until it actually happens.
And Bengals won't have Williams sit the bench while making $12.6 mill.
So unless he's traded, expect him to start this year as long as he's healthy.
They can't cut him because the 5th year option is fully guaranteed.

I think finding a team to trade for Williams when his contract is 12.6m would be difficult even moreso coming off an injury.  Still if there were any team desperate enough for a LT, we should do it.

As far as sitting the bench, I hope the coaching staff doesnt care how much Jonah is being paid this year.  If he keeps getting bull rushed and shoved back into Burrow, he needs to ride the bench and we should see what Carman can do.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to know what Cappa has to say about him. Donovan has had a nice career. And the Bucs are obviously in a rebuild. "The Bucs entered this offseason $55 million over the salary cap -- $35 million of it going toward recently retired quarterback Tom Brady"

Adding quality vets that get cut like him are the key to still getting comp picks for losing guys like Bates.

I'd really like to give Jonah a chance to have his best year, in his contract year, and get us a comp pick in the future when he leaves and then plug in the talent we developed in Carman. But we should really stay in touch with Donovan and show some interest. I'm thinking he is probably a LT only. If he can play RT for sure we better be kicking the hell out of the tires.
Reply/Quote
Jonah isn't going anywhere. He is already being paid 12 million dollars. He will be the starting LT on opening day. RT is a different story.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote