Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donavan Smith At Left Tackle?
(03-08-2023, 01:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Jonah isn't going anywhere. He is already being paid 12 million dollars. He will be the starting LT on opening day. RT is a different story.

What he is being paid should have no bearing on whether he is the starter or not. If he is getting pushed around like he has been, he needs to ride the bench and Carman should be given the opportunity.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2023, 11:34 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Yes but how was he in 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017?  He gave up 6 sacks, 6 sacks, 8 sacks and 7 sacks in those years.  Over the last 6 seasons he has had one great year in 2021, the rest are just mediocre.

If you want to compare to Taylor Lewan, Lewan hasnt given up more than 4 sacks in any season of the last 6.

Based on the pressure numbers i posted in another thread, he comes out at pretty much average to below, on a year by year basis. His "great" year in '21 was just average by overall numbers compared to his peers. Taylor Lewan puts up consistent top 10-15 numbers.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 01:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Based on the pressure numbers i posted in another thread, he comes out at pretty much average to below, on a year by year basis. His "great" year in '21 was just average by overall numbers compared to his peers. Taylor Lewan puts up consistent top 10-15 numbers.

There's no doubt Lewan is a great LT and could be a big boost to the line.  Thats why he is a 3 time Pro Bowler.  The problem is can he stay healthy? 

I would rather have Lewan and hope he stays healthy than have Jonah Williams and hope he stays healthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 01:47 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: There's no doubt Lewan is a great LT and could be a big boost to the line.  Thats why he is a 3 time Pro Bowler.  The problem is can he stay healthy? 

I would rather have Lewan and hope he stays healthy than have Jonah Williams and hope he stays healthy.

I'm at a no for Lewan right now due to all the injuries and where does he play. It just muddies the water a bit for me. The guy i really wanted a couple years ago was Jack Conklin. The Browns got him at 3 for 42M with cap hits of 8M, 13M and 11M before signing an extension last year. His cap hit now will be 7M and 12M in '23 and '24 before going up to 19 and 19, with a potential out before that last year. 

He was elite in '20 and '22 with an injury sandwiched inbetween. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 02:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm at a no for Lewan right now due to all the injuries and where does he play. It just muddies the water a bit for me. The guy i really wanted a couple years ago was Jack Conklin. The Browns got him at 3 for 42M with cap hits of 8M, 13M and 11M before signing an extension last year. His cap hit now will be 7M and 12M in '23 and '24 before going up to 19 and 19, with a potential out before that last year. 

He was elite in '20 and '22 with an injury sandwiched inbetween. 

Agree on Conklin. Would have been nice to have signed him in 2020. Was hoping he'd hit FA this year, but he signed an extension. I would not want to protect a serial pervert scumbag QB, but of course, money talks.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 01:47 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: There's no doubt Lewan is a great LT and could be a big boost to the line.  Thats why he is a 3 time Pro Bowler.  The problem is can he stay healthy? 

Same, but either way, it costs us money to cut Jonah so he would stay even if we got Lewan and be insurance at LT with Carman.

I think ideally at LT would be Eluemunor at RT or Jawaan Taylor if we want to pay big.
Reply/Quote
I may have already expressed this sentiment, but just to reiterate, pass on D Smith..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote