Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double D’s back on the team
Reds signed Dietrich to a minor league deal with a ST invite. Fun guy to have in the clubhouse, but not going to be as easy to make the roster this year.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/derek-dietrich-minors-deal-with-reds
Reply/Quote
I have mixed feelings about him. On the one hand I like a bit of attitude and bravado. On the other hand there's a point where it goes over the line. Then add in him falling flat on his face after May or whatever.

I'll be surprised if he makes it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Never saw a season like Dietrich had last year.

first 29 games...….. .196 avg, 518 slg%, 5 HR, 11 RBI
next 26 games...…. .329 avg, .838 slg%, 12 HR, 22 RBI
final 57 games...…. .099 avg, .207 slg%, 2 HR, 6 RBI

Over his last 121 at bats (57 games) Dietrich had 12 hits and 6 RBI. There are a lot of pitchers who hit better than that.
Reply/Quote
DD hit his peak in Reds country for sure. 18 HRs in a short span then ______________________________.071. Perhaps he'll shoot another 18 across the fence, but if I had to bet I wouldn't. Potentially he's a damned good ticket seller, but he's also a potential "I'm not buying a ticket tomorrow." guy.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Not the Double Ds I was expecting.

1 star thread, for false advertisement.

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 02:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I have mixed feelings about him. On the one hand I like a bit of attitude and bravado. On the other hand there's a point where it goes over the line. Then add in him falling flat on his face after May or whatever.

I'll be surprised if he makes it.

I don’t have mixed feelings. I’m just not a fan of people that are cocky and showoffs. Call me old school or whatever. Those types are just annoying to watch or be around. People that strut in anything they do make me roll my eyes.
Reply/Quote
He is a fun player, but did not perform very well. Who knows? Maybe he gets on fire.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 08:48 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not the Double Ds I was expecting.

Ninja

No doubt.

Got my hopes up.

Thought we hit a new era here on the board.

It's about a baseball player.

Reported.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 08:48 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not the Double Ds I was expecting.

Ninja

Why would you think anyone would start a thread here about batteries?

[Image: 291746-PANASONIC-ALKAL-2PK-D-SIZE1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It was kinda fun watching Deitrich get under the Pirates skin last year and he is kind of an entertaining guy to have around but not that good of a ballplayer. There is no room for him in left field and he probably wouldn't get many opportunities at second or third base here either. I think we end up having to keep Blandino or one of the other guys over him for shortstop depth.
Reply/Quote
[quote pid='837992' dateline='1582646532']
It was kinda fun watching Deitrich get under the Pirates skin last year and he is kind of an entertaining guy to have around but not that good of a ballplayer. There is no room for him in left field and he probably wouldn't get many opportunities at second or third base here either. I think we end up having to keep Blandino or one of the other guys over him for shortstop depth.
[/quote]

That may depend on Suarez's shoulder.
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking Reds fans may just see the kid Garcia at the big league level sooner than later if he keeps hitting them out in ST. I know it was just A ball last year in Dayton, but he's a great fielding SS and hit .280. 2 dingers already yesterday into the wind ain't nothing folks. They signed him out of Cuba for millions and didn't do that just to be blowing money.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 03:04 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: [quote pid='837992' dateline='1582646532']

That may depend on Suarez's shoulder.
[/quote]

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out as they choose who to keep between those utility types on the back end of the roster. I think Farmer is almost a lock with his versatility and then you have guys like Van Meter and DD as well as any youngsters who make a push this spring. I think we also need to keep an eye on Senzel's recovery. If he has a setback that opens the door for others even more.
Reply/Quote
Turns out he hurt his shoulder in July and “played through the pain” the rest of the season. Had surgery in September and is pain free now. Said he learned the lesson a lot of us know, playing poorly does not help the team. If you’re hurt take time off, help the team when you’re healthy.
Reply/Quote