Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Double-dip at WR this year?
It shouldn't be news to anyone at this point, but this is considered one of the deepest WR draft classes in probably a decade.
AJ Green is also a FA, hasn't played a game in over a year, and probably doesn't have more than a couple years left given durability and age.
John Ross hasn't been able to stay healthy and is entering a contract year.

Given the status of AJ Green and John Ross for 2020 and beyond, do you think the Bengals decide to double-dip at WR this year in the draft?
Or should they since they aren't expected to have any comp picks this year?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wouldn’t be a bad idea. It’s entirely possible both AJ and Ross are off this team next year.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 12:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wouldn’t be a bad idea. It’s entirely possible both AJ and Ross are off this team next year.

Next year as in 2020 or as in 2021?
If 2021, I agree.
If 2020, I don't think it makes sense to cut Ross yet. Let him play out his final year to see if he can finally stay healthy and be productive. He was on pace for over 1000 yards if he played a full season this year. Even if he didn't hit that mark, it would have been a pretty safe bet for him to hit 700, which is fine for a WR2.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 12:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Next year as in 2020 or as in 2021?
If 2021, I agree.
If 2020, I don't think it makes sense to cut Ross yet. Let him play out his final year to see if he can finally stay healthy and be productive. He was on pace for over 1000 yards if he played a full season this year. Even if he didn't hit that mark, it would have been a pretty safe bet for him to hit 700, which is fine for a WR2.

Yeah, next calendar year, not next season. I’m assuming we won’t pick up Ross’ 5th year.

But if this draft is that deep at WR we might as well grab a couple now if we can.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 12:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It shouldn't be news to anyone at this point, but this is considered one of the deepest WR draft classes in probably a decade.
AJ Green is also a FA, hasn't played a game in over a year, and probably doesn't have more than a couple years left given durability and age.
John Ross hasn't been able to stay healthy and is entering a contract year.

Given the status of AJ Green and John Ross for 2020 and beyond, do you think the Bengals decide to double-dip at WR this year in the draft?
Or should they since they aren't expected to have any comp picks this year?

They should definitely double dip, because the value will be there and it's a very weak position group.  Boyd is a good #2, but a weak #1.  Ross has flashed, but can't be counted on due to injury and inconsistency.  Tate and Erickson are ok back half of the depth chart options, but they are not players you want seeing a bunch of snaps in a #2 or #3 role.  Tate also has his share of injury issues.

Given that LB is our biggest weak spot on D and it's such a bad LB class, I can honestly see a case for 5 or even more picks going to the offense.  Burrow, 2WR's, T, G, and even TE and/or RB if there's value.
Reply/Quote
Depends on what you mean by double dipping.

Using a 2nd and 3rd on a WR? Probably not a great idea. But, I wouldn't be shocked if the 2nd rounder was a WR.
Reply/Quote
Yes !

I feel you have to hope for the best but plan for the worst. You know my feelings on Ross, I just don't trust he's reliable as a starter/big part of their plans. Hope he proves me wrong.

And AJ, I can't explain exactly why but my gut instinct is he won't be a Bengal next season. And even if he is can he be available for 16 games ?

I would love to seem them get an extra 2nd day pick thru trades of players on roster and take a WR there. And hopefully get an extra 4th rd. pick and take another.
Reply/Quote
Double dip makes sense, cutting Ross wouldn't. I have been saying for months this draft class is so deep at WR and guys still keep declaring early which is nuts to me. You are going to get 2nd/3rd round WR talent all day on day 3.
Reply/Quote
For my own stance, I think they should double-dip with one caveat...be active in FA at other positions!
If they spend two picks on WR in the draft, it means not drafting other areas.

Can the Bengals get away with not drafting any of QB, LB, OT, OG, DT, DE, CB, S, and/or K?
If so, which ones to skip in favor of WR?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: For my own stance, I think they should double-dip with one caveat...be active in FA at other positions!

Can the Bengals get away with not drafting any of QB, LB, OT, OG, DT, DE, CB, S, and/or K?

I don’t think we need to draft a DE or a DT this year.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think we need to draft a DE or a DT this year.

I disagree on the DT part. They need a true 3T heir to Atkins. He only had 4.5 sacks on the year. That's low for him.
They haven't had a true DT pass rusher aside from him for years.
Besides, I think it would help to allow Atkins to be rotated more to keep him fresh too.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think they should double up on WRs it's such a strong class and they need player makers in that room badly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 12:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: They should definitely double dip, because the value will be there and it's a very weak position group.  Boyd is a good #2, but a weak #1.  Ross has flashed, but can't be counted on due to injury and inconsistency.  Tate and Erickson are ok back half of the depth chart options, but they are not players you want seeing a bunch of snaps in a #2 or #3 role.  Tate also has his share of injury issues.

Given that LB is our biggest weak spot on D and it's such a bad LB class, I can honestly see a case for 5 or even more picks going to the offense.  Burrow, 2WR's, T, G, and even TE and/or RB if there's value.

John Ross for a 1st rounder is a big turd.He has not shown he can outrun anyone and misses way way too many throws or just flatout drops the ball ALOT. I WOULD try to trade him or get a draft pick for him outside of the division.Not in our AFC. Keep A.J. for at least two more years. Pick up a receiver to replace him,no more,we have Tate,Boyd,A.J. and several that has been signed lately that have not seen the field here yet.We need linemen,both sides,linebackers AND safeties glore,someone in the secondary that can hammer and cover,please,our secondary is awlful and needs a major upgrade. :andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 05:01 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: John Ross for a 1st rounder is a big turd.He has not shown he can outrun anyone and misses way way too many throws or just flatout drops the ball ALOT. I WOULD try to trade him or get a draft pick for him outside of the division.Not in our AFC. Keep A.J. for at least two more years. Pick up a receiver to replace him,no more,we have Tate,Boyd,A.J. and several that has been signed lately that have not seen the field here yet.We need linemen,both sides,linebackers AND safeties glore,someone in the secondary that can hammer and cover,please,our secondary is awlful and needs a major upgrade. :andy: :andy: :andy:

Bolded statement flat out wrong.
Many times Dalton has either underthrown him or sailed the ball way over his head because he's not good at actually hitting John Ross in stride. 
Many times when you see Dalton attempt to go to Ross, you see Ross past his defender or needing to come back to the ball (although he hasn't been very successful trying to do this last part).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: For my own stance, I think they should double-dip with one caveat...be active in FA at other positions!

Day 3 should be a pure BPA day, within reason.  The Bengals will be #1 in the waiver order until after final cuts are made, meaning they will get first crack at everyone's TC cuts.  Because of that, they don't really need to enter the draft worried about needing a 4th S or 6th LB or CB.  They can fill those depth needs on the waiver wire.  
Reply/Quote
If Jefferson or Pittman is there, I take a WR.

If they aren't, oline.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 05:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bolded statement flat out wrong.
Many times Dalton has either underthrown him or sailed the ball way over his head because he's not good at actually hitting John Ross in stride. 
Many times when you see Dalton attempt to go to Ross, you see Ross past his defender or needing to come back to the ball (although he hasn't been very successful trying to do this last part).

John Ross was 21st in the NFL on average separation from defender he was also #1 in dropped pass percentage. His issue is not getting open, his issue is catching the ball. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 05:39 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If Jefferson or Pittman is there, I take a WR.

If they aren't, oline.

I think you could even see a Tee Higgins there at 33, this class is just insanely loaded at WR. Day 3 will open with some high quality WR's on the board too. 
Reply/Quote
I'd be open to it but honestly if a RT or OG fall to round 2 I think they trump everything if the value is similar.

Really hope we get a LB in free agency so we can focus on other areas in the middle rounds.

If we do go WR early I wouldn't mind taking a look at Brandon Aiyuk out of ASU, dude is a playmaker. I've seen him ranked right around the 3rd which would be great and where I would really be comfortable starting to look at WR's.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I disagree on the DT part. They need a true 3T heir to Atkins. He only had 4.5 sacks on the year. That's low for him.
They haven't had a true DT pass rusher aside from him for years.
Besides, I think it would help to allow Atkins to be rotated more to keep him fresh too.

Just doesn’t seem like a pressing need to me. Atkins is getting paid a lot of money. He needs to be on the field. Whether we’re seeing the start of his decline, or it was just a down year remains to be seen.

Reply/Quote