Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double dipping
Will we double dip at any position in the draft?  If so, which is most likely?  If I thought the Bengals see a need at C, I'd say OLine for sure.  Unfortunately, I don't think they do.  I would personally like to see one interior lineman and one T, preferably LT, taken.  If Whit leaves, then one of these is a necessity.  They say the believe in CEDO but, for crying out loud, have a backup plan other than Eric Winston.

RB?  No
WR?  No.
DE?  Maybe.
S?  No way.
CB?  One, probably.  Two?  Seems unlikely.
LB?  Possible, especially if they take one early.
DT?  Unless a couple guys fall into their laps, I'd say no, though it could be one NT, one UT.
TE?  Never.
QB?  No way.  Maybe one, probably none, unless someone falls into their laps to move out Driscoll.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 01:38 PM)McC Wrote: Will we double dip at any position in the draft?  If so, which is most likely?  If I thought the Bengals see a need at C, I'd say OLine for sure.  Unfortunately, I don't think they do.  I would personally like to see one interior lineman and one T, preferably LT, taken.  If Whit leaves, then one of these is a necessity.  They say the believe in CEDO but, for crying out loud, have a backup plan other than Eric Winston.

RB?  No
WR?  No.
DE?  Maybe.
S?  No way.
DT?  Unless a couple guys fall into their laps, I'd say no, though it could be one NT, one UT.
TE?  Never.
QB?  No way.  Maybe one, probably none, unless someone falls into their laps to move out Driscoll.

I see an outside shot at them taking two RB's if Burkhead leaves.

WR is another possibility if they don't reup LaFell or bring in an outside FA. Wright hasn't shown enough to essentially be handed a roster spot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 01:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: I see an outside shot at them taking two RB's if Burkhead leaves.

WR is another possibility if they don't reup LaFell or bring in an outside FA. Wright hasn't shown enough to essentially be handed a roster spot.

Very true on RB, though they almost always sign an UDFA or two.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
with all the picks in this draft and the depth of the WR class I see them taking 2 for sure

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I believe it was Paul G. who mentioned in a recent interview that they were looking at coming out of this draft with a coupke of DEs. Could be mistaken in the source. I woukd also not pooh pooh the chance of coming out with 2 DT ( a mid and late round choice. My choices would be Carlos Watkins 3rd, and Grover Stewart, Albany State, 6th/7th)

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 03:02 PM)Burma Wrote: I believe it was Paul G. who mentioned in a recent interview that they were looking at coming out of this draft with a coupke of DEs.  Could be mistaken in the source.  I woukd also not pooh pooh the chance of coming out with 2 DT ( a mid and late round choice. My choices would be Carlos Watkins 3rd, and Grover Stewart, Albany State, 6th/7th)

Yeah, this is the most likely to me. Two Ends. Also liked what i heard from Guenther when asked about size.

He said something like if he is 5'11" i don't care as long as he can do his job. I think drafting for size has bit us in the ass a bit.

Just draft the best player. Von Miller type sure would help our Defense.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 03:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, this is the most likely to me. Two Ends. Also liked what i heard from Guenther when asked about size.

He said something like if he is 5'11" i don't care as long as he can do his job. I think drafting for size has bit us in the ass a bit.

Just draft the best player. Von Miller type sure would help our Defense.

I was very interested in his statements on DE length. If I uderstood him correctly they aren't locked into 6'6" - 6'7" as much, but the 6'4" guy needs to have long arms. That doesn't bode well for Derek Barnett as he came in at 6'3 and had the 7th shortest arms among all DL.  Jordan Willis ticked off the boxes though, 6'4, 33.5" arms.  could be a solid 3rd round pick.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Defensive end for sure. Gilberry and Hunt are free agents.
Gilberry is 32, will be 33 in December.
Hunt is 29, will be 30 before preseason. Yeah. Let that sink in.

Michael Johnson is only a few months older than Hunt. Yeah. That's a thing.

Outside of Dunlap, we have no real pass rusher on the outside. None.
There's quite a few pure pass rushers this class, such as Barnett, Taco, Walker, and Harris.
Not only that, but there's later round players with potential.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 03:41 PM)Burma Wrote: I was very interested in his statements on DE length. If I uderstood him correctly they aren't locked into 6'6" - 6'7" as much, but the 6'4" guy needs to have long arms. That doesn't bode well for Derek Barnett as he came in at 6'3 and had the 7th shortest arms among all DL.  Jordan Willis ticked off the boxes though, 6'4, 33.5" arms.  could be a solid 3rd round pick.

I caught that too. Still, if a guy produces that should be more important than long arms.

Bottom line is the guy has to be able to get to the QB and stop the run. Solomon Thomas is an End that can do this.

He is not a sack machine but he just gets in there and works, very physical with violent hands.

What college is Willis from BTW?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 04:01 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Defensive end for sure. Gilberry and Hunt are free agents.
Gilberry is 32, will be 33 in December.
Hunt is 29, will be 30 before preseason. Yeah. Let that sink in.

Michael Johnson is only a few months older than Hunt. Yeah. That's a thing.

Outside of Dunlap, we have no real pass rusher on the outside. None.
There's quite a few pure pass rushers this class, such as Barnett, Taco, Walker, and Harris.
Not only that, but there's later round players with potential.

We definately need youth at End. Guenther won't ignore this.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 04:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I caught that too. Still, if a guy produces that should be more important than long arms.

Bottom line is the guy has to be able to get to the QB and stop the run. Solomon Thomas is an End that can do this.

He is not a sack machine but he just gets in there and works, very physical with violent hands.

What college is Willis from BTW?

Willis played at Kansas State. PFF had him as their top rated edge defender of 2016. They called it that he would have a good senior bowl. He was the mvp.

Quote:We’re expecting a strong week from Kansas State’s Jordan Willis after he dominated Big 12 right tackles this season on his way to the top overall grade among the nation’s edge defenders at 94.3. He also led the nation with 87 total pressures while playing strong run defense, so look for Willis to make a name for himself in Mobile.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-senior-bowl-players-to-watch-defense/

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 07:12 PM)Burma Wrote: Willis played at Kansas State.  PFF had him as their top rated edge defender of 2016.  They called it that he would have a good senior bowl.  He was the mvp.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-senior-bowl-players-to-watch-defense/

Yes, me like. Sounds like a steal in the 3rd. Can already rush the passer and stop the run and like you said
has those long arms Paulie G was talkin about that he wants in his Ends. Opened my eyes here Burma.

Jordan Willis DE Kansas State people!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 01:38 PM)McC Wrote: Will we double dip at any position in the draft?  If so, which is most likely?  If I thought the Bengals see a need at C, I'd say OLine for sure.  Unfortunately, I don't think they do.  I would personally like to see one interior lineman and one T, preferably LT, taken.  If Whit leaves, then one of these is a necessity.  They say the believe in CEDO but, for crying out loud, have a backup plan other than Eric Winston.

RB?  No
WR?  No.
DE?  Maybe.
S?  No way.
TE?  Never.

I think there's room to and a need to double dip at OL, WR, or DE.
OL because obviously Whitworth and Zeitler could be leaving, plus Bodine is...you know.
WR because the Bengals need to replace LaFell but also replace James Wright. Wright is a waste of a roster spot.
DL because Hunt should be gone (fingers crossed) and the Bengals need more edge rush anyway, and possibly a DT (or DE that can rush from the interior on passing downs).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 04:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We definately need youth at End. Guenther won't ignore this.

There's some great all around pass rushers in the 1st round. However, after that there are more pass rushers who aren't exactly the greatest at run stopping, but can certainly help.

I'm all for Barnett. But I'd be happy with Walker, Harris, or Fields in the later rounds.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:36 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: There's some great all around pass rushers in the 1st round. However, after that there are more pass rushers who aren't exactly the greatest at run stopping, but can certainly help.

I'm all for Barnett. But I'd be happy with Walker, Harris, or Fields in the later rounds.

Carl Lawson has pass rushing prowess but needs work in the run game. However, that would give MJ a reason to "start" and play on early downs, but sub out for Lawson on passing downs.

Also, I think Jordan Willis is a Bengals-style edge rusher. He's solid both against the run and pass, should be available in the third or even fourth due to all the edge talent in this draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, me like. Sounds like a steal in the 3rd. Can already rush the passer and stop the run and like you said
has those long arms Paulie G was talkin about that he wants in his Ends. Opened my eyes here Burma.

Jordan Willis DE Kansas State people!!!

Glad to help. And Willis just opened more eyes today. Ran A 4.53 40 with a 1.58 10 yard split. Rocked up and fast.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:36 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: There's some great all around pass rushers in the 1st round. However, after that there are more pass rushers who aren't exactly the greatest at run stopping, but can certainly help.

Or Willis as Burma here mentioned.

(03-05-2017, 02:36 PM)Burma Wrote: Glad to help.  And Willis just opened more eyes today. Ran A 4.53 40 with a 1.58 10 yard split. Rocked up and fast.

That will raise his stock significantly. Mellow
Reply/Quote
I think we need to double dip at RB if Burkhead leaves.

For sure double dip at OL.

And a double dip at DE
Reply/Quote
I like DE Thomas in the first and DE Hall in the 4-5. Give us a stout high motor guy that can move inside next to Geno on passing downs and the skyscraper in Hall for batting down passes.

Wouldn't mind 2 RBs and 2 LBs either.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 03:41 PM)Burma Wrote: I was very interested in his statements on DE length. If I uderstood him correctly they aren't locked into 6'6" - 6'7" as much, but the 6'4" guy needs to have long arms. That doesn't bode well for Derek Barnett as he came in at 6'3 and had the 7th shortest arms among all DL.  Jordan Willis ticked off the boxes though, 6'4, 33.5" arms.  could be a solid 3rd round pick.
Yeah im still in love with kpassagnon. Hes 6"7 ran the 40 in 4.83 at 289 and has almost 36 inch arms. If we draft a 6"4 end i think its in the second.
Reply/Quote