Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Dr. Jill Biden wants BOTH LSU and IOWA WBB to visit White House.
Damn, all it took was perceived racial drama, bad sportsmanship, and politics to finally get people to even think about women’s basketball.

I’ll be glad when it goes back to where it was. Out of the headlines I see.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 09:36 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Damn, all it took was perceived racial drama, bad sportsmanship, and politics to finally get people to even think about women’s basketball.

Sexist!!!

This is what you want...

[Image: original.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I have to admit the only times I've noticed women's sports is when they become national news like this or when Trump was whining about the US women's soccer team. I do work from home now and I haven't even been to a sports bar or any place with TVs lately, so I didn't see a second of the men's tournament even by accident this year, either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 09:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I have to admit the only times I've noticed women's sports is when they become national news like this or when Trump was whining about the US women's soccer team.  I do work from home now and I haven't even been to a sports bar or any place with TVs lately, so I didn't see a second of the men's tournament even by accident this year, either.

You're dumb...

[Image: pillowfight.png?w=689&h=387] Tongue [Image: Allison-Stokke-01.jpg] Wink[Image: sports_girls_14.jpg]:pervert:[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbLQNyvTEsaeiymI58fz5...4&usqp=CAU]:yes:

[Image: 4-Winifer-Fernandez-600x337.jpg]:popcorn:
Reply/Quote
I'll admit that giant wall of text got me pretty hard.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 10:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll admit that giant wall of text got me pretty hard.

Fixed it for you dummy...

[Image: 4-Winifer-Fernandez-600x337.jpg]:wub:
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 09:36 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Damn, all it took was perceived racial drama, bad sportsmanship, and politics to finally get people to even think about women’s basketball.

The crazy part is all of that came AFTER the women’s game had built tremendous momentum during the tournament. The final four games got more viewership than any single NBA game this season. There were gigantic ratings for the championship game then the refs were objectively terrible and then all of the above happened.

It’ll probably only help with visibility of the sport going forward. ESPN and all the other platforms with argument shows now have their race angle to beat to death.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 03:36 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: LOL likely not, She wanted to invite the Eagles as well, so it's not like it's the first time and has nothing to do with "Race". 

That's all media built up bs and hype. 
There's nothing wrong with taunting, some can be rather tasteless but almost all do it, so who cares?? Was anyone here hurt by it?

Reese saying she's going to the Obama's over the WH is borderline racist to me. The winners go to the WH, losers go home. (PS my post is not directed at you as an attack, just saying).

I don't like trash talk much, now that so many people cannot tell the difference between that reasoned debate.

Disrespect of opponents models bad behavior for kids, too.

That said, I think Dr. Biden doesn't follow sports much, doesn't know the culture. She was responding like the mother of two kids on different soccer teams vying for the same championship, who wanted both her children to feel good, the kid whose team won and the kid whose team lost.  No more than that. 

Teams which lose in national sports finals and DON'T get invited to the WH don't fell bad about THAT, and don't expect an invitation.

They feel bad about losing.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 03:14 PM)Dill Wrote: I don't like trash talk much, now that so many people cannot tell the difference between that reasoned debate.

Disrespect of opponents models bad behavior for kids, too.

That said, I think Dr. Biden doesn't follow sports much, doesn't know the culture. She was responding like the mother of two kids on different soccer teams vying for the same championship, who wanted both her children to feel good, the kid whose team won and the kid whose team lost.  No more than that. 

Teams which lose in national sports finals and DON'T get invited to the WH don't fell bad about THAT, and don't expect an invitation.

They feel bad about losing.

Well, unlike baseball, trash talk is inherently part of the modern game of Basketball.  Even in Football, where most of the DBs and WRs come from a Basketball background, trash talk is the norm.  Now, "Dr." Biden, having been awarded a doctorate in Education, should have made it her point to learn and know what she was speaking towards, prior to the ill fated comment.  But alas, she was likely too busy working on more plans for Community College retention rates.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 08:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, unlike baseball, trash talk is inherently part of the modern game of Basketball.  Even in Football, where most of the DBs and WRs come from a Basketball background, trash talk is the norm.  Now, "Dr." Biden, having been awarded a doctorate in Education, should have made it her point to learn and know what she was speaking towards, prior to the ill fated comment.  But alas, she was likely too busy working on more plans for Community College retention rates.

Why are you putting Dr. in quotation marks? Do you do that for anyone else with a doctorate?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 09:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Why are you putting Dr. in quotation marks? Do you do that for anyone else with a doctorate?

Many feel that the term "Dr." shouldn't be used for non-medical Doctorate degrees.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 06:58 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Many feel that the term "Dr." shouldn't be used for non-medical Doctorate degrees.

I hadn't seen him do that when referencing any other individual with a doctorate, so I was curious. Are you aware of his personal feelings on this?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 06:58 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Many feel that the term "Dr." shouldn't be used for non-medical Doctorate degrees.

[Image: donald-trump-****-your-feelings-flippin-sweet-gear.jpg]

Ok, three tries to get a Trump "F*UCK YOUR FEELIGNS" picture to post and I failed.  Ah well.

Anywho, the same people acting like Jill Biden's doctorate doesn't count because she's not a medical doctor also spent years saying how some fake doctor on tiktok's opinions on covid were more valid than actual medical doctors, so meh...feeeeelings, nothing more than feeeeelings.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 10:39 AM)Nately120 Wrote: [Image: donald-trump-****-your-feelings-flippin-sweet-gear.jpg]

Ok, three tries to get a Trump "F*UCK YOUR FEELIGNS" picture to post and I failed.  Ah well.

Anywho, the same people acting like Jill Biden's doctorate doesn't count because she's not a medical doctor also spent years saying how some fake doctor on tiktok's opinions on covid were more valid than actual medical doctors, so meh...feeeeelings, nothing more than feeeeelings.

The filters block the word even if its in the link and the photo doesn't say the word.  

Also it's probably just sexism.  When you share links and stories with actual facts about someone, say a supreme court justice, the right will attempt say THAT is racism because he is black.  So, based on their logic I can only assume that using "dr" rather than just not saying it at all is an attempt to belittle her doctorate simply because she is a woman.  Or something like that.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 06:58 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Many feel that the term "Dr." shouldn't be used for non-medical Doctorate degrees.

I'd never heard that. 

In any case, that has certainly been the norm since the U.S. adopted the German model of universities and began granting
the "doctorate" as a terminal research degree in many disciplines. My wife is a doctor of musical arts and her students
call her "Dr." Lots of Ph.D.s don't stand on the title much. E.g., when they get airplane tickets, they don't refer to themselves
as "Dr." so if some passenger has a heart attack a stewardess does run to get them. They don't introduce themselves as "Dr."

I have to wonder if this "feeling" is something rather new, following efforts to delegitimize such scholarly accomplishments
by groups that frequently find themselves on the other side of science and modern scholarship.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 10:49 AM)Dill Wrote: I'd never heard that. 

In any case, that has certainly been the norm since the U.S. adopted the German model of universities and began granting
the "doctorate" as a terminal research degree in many disciplines. My wife is a doctor of musical arts and her students
call her "Dr." Lots of Ph.D.s don't stand on the title much. E.g., when they get airplane tickets, they don't refer to themselves
as "Dr." so if some passenger has a heart attack a stewardess does run to get them. They don't introduce themselves as "Dr."

I have to wonder if this "feeling" is something rather new, following efforts to delegitimize such scholarly accomplishments
by groups that frequently find themselves on the other side of science and modern scholarship.

I have two friends that are Doctors.  One a chiropractor and the other a D.O.

I never call either of them Dr when talking about them or addressing them.  They are friends.  If I am talking about the doctor I personally go to I call them Dr. so-and so.  When I was in college and talking about a teacher I called them Dr so and so.  Seems the respectful thing to do.  I don't refer to Jill Biden as Dr. Jill Bide in every reference because its not necessary in this forum.  But I also don't attempt to belittle her accomplishment by saying "dr" either.  It's a personal choice I guess.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 10:47 AM)GMDino Wrote: The filters block the word even if its in the link and the photo doesn't say the word.  

Also it's probably just sexism.  When you share links and stories with actual facts about someone, say a supreme court justice, the right will attempt say THAT is racism because he is black.  So, based on their logic I can only assume that using "dr" rather than just not saying it at all is an attempt to belittle her doctorate simply because she is a woman.  Or something like that.

I think it has more to do with it being a doctorate in the field of education than her being a woman, but that's just a guess.

doctor of education = fake doctor
doctor who tells me to get vaccinated not take horse dewormer = fake doctor
First Lady Obama = not a lady
First Lady Biden = not a doctor
First Lady Trump = not a big deal she did girl on girl stuff I can't post here

Personally, I'd like for Biden to hand the 2024 nomination to Mark Kelly...so I guess we'd be hearing how the First Lady doesn't deserve credit for surviving an assassination attempt, or something. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 08:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, unlike baseball, trash talk is inherently part of the modern game of Basketball.  Even in Football, where most of the DBs and WRs come from a Basketball background, trash talk is the norm.  Now, "Dr." Biden, having been awarded a doctorate in Education, should have made it her point to learn and know what she was speaking towards, prior to the ill fated comment.  But alas, she was likely too busy working on more plans for Community College retention rates.

I think you are a bit harsh on DR. Biden here, Sun.

First, aren't CC retention rates really more important for the common good than getting sports talk right?  If we had to choose, surely a president's wife with deep knowledge of and interest in issues of higher education should be preferred over someone with no inkling of all that but a great sports fan.

And second, if your husband's job as leader of the free world places you in many new contexts, at least some of which have to be very
unfamiliar, you are not going to be able to learn about ALL of them to the satisfaction of those familiar with them. In this case, it looks like Dr. Jill was just trying to say something positive, which honored the efforts of both teams. I have to wonder why people want to make a big deal about this. It's not like she said "good people on both sides" at Charlottesville. 

Finally, about "norms"--I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't the norm to denigrate opponents or to brag about oneself. Bad sportsmanship. Though I loved Muhammed Ali and Joe Namath, I remember the widespread anger at their bragging. Johnny U. didn't talk trash. Still it was several decades before that sort of thing was common in football, as people who began imitating that behavior as youth grew into adults. in

And now it is not limited to sports. I'd probably not complain at all if trash talk on this site were limited to the "Smack Talk forum" as good fun, but it often dominates in this one where we ought to expect reasoned debate. Same problem at the national level, where extreme insults have come to be as effective at winning votes as fact-based reasoning--to the degree that that sort of reasoning may now be perceived as a threat rather an ideal everyone should strive for. 
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 10:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: I have two friends that are Doctors.  One a chiropractor and the other a D.O.

I never call either of them Dr when talking about them or addressing them.  They are friends.  If I am talking about the doctor I personally go to I call them Dr. so-and so.  When I was in college and talking about a teacher I called them Dr so and so.  Seems the respectful thing to do.  I don't refer to Jill Biden as Dr. Jill Bide in every reference because its not necessary in this forum.  But I also don't attempt to belittle her accomplishment by saying "dr" either.  It's a personal choice I guess.

I think it's an American thing, since "Dr." is quite a respected title in Europe in non-medical disciplines.

Here we just don't put much store in book-learnin' the way they do in other countries. 

Americans are more comfortable with people bragging about wealth and sports accomplishments;
but fancy degrees don't make you better or "smarter" than anyone else. 
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 10:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I think it has more to do with it being a doctorate in the field of education than her being a woman, but that's just a guess.

doctor of education = fake doctor
doctor who tells me to get vaccinated not take horse dewormer = fake doctor
First Lady Obama = not a lady
First Lady Biden = not a doctor
First Lady Trump = not a big deal she did girl on girl stuff I can't post here

Personally, I'd like for Biden to hand the 2024 nomination to Mark Kelly...so I guess we'd be hearing how the First Lady doesn't deserve credit for surviving an assassination attempt, or something. 

I wonder sometimes about the titles used for this stuff. Like, okay, I can understand if you have a consistent argument for using Dr. for professional doctorates and not research doctorates. But if you use Dr. for a Ph.D. then you should for an Ed.D. as well. Then you have the weird thing where we call M.D.s Dr. but not J.D.s. Why is that? Is it just because we have such a disdain for J.D.s in society as a profession? And what about a D.N.P.? Should they be called Dr.? That could just get confusing.

Ninja

Reply/Quote