Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Class Is Getting More Praise From PFF!
It is meaningless to judge a draft class before they play but the 2020 class was pretty impressive.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 10:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's wheaties, and most publications do seem to like our draft. Just think it's worth mentioning. Cris was strongly on the Chase side.

Does that really matter?  Collinsworth has been an NFL analyst for going on 30 years and invested in an analytics company because he believes in analytics so strongly.  It's far more likely that he preferred Chase based on those analytics than he preferred Chase based on the eye test and is forcing his employees to flub their analytics to back up his opinion.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 04:49 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You have to love Evans being ranked that high, especially since we got him in the sixth round 

I love it even more because we got that pick for Ryan Finley
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 02:11 AM)sandwedge Wrote: What defensive strategy would you deploy?

One where we don't allow 404 rush yards to the Ravens?

Kinda unfair to put 100% of the blame on players for that.

(05-26-2021, 11:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I would have preferred an O-lineman with our first pick but I still think Chase was the best WR in the draft.

I mean, duh.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 02:11 AM)sandwedge Wrote: What defensive strategy would you deploy?

Pay me his salary and I'll let you know.

(05-26-2021, 09:54 AM)Dr.Z Wrote: I’m not by any means a Lou A backer, but I don’t know if any strategy could look successful with the personnel he’s worked with.  As Mike Tyson said “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”    

Definitely agree with the sentiments regarding injury.   Losing Reader was like taking a sledgehammer and knocking out a giant hole from a super leaky dam.

Part of the game is adjusting to getting hit in the mouth and play the game with the cards you're dealt. He's being paid to make the most of his players and thus far has failed to do so.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 01:15 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Pay me his salary and I'll let you know.

He's being paid to make the most of his players and thus far has failed to do so.

How do you know that what you saw wasn’t “the most” of his players? Again, I’m not an Anarumo fan or anything, and if I had to assume one way or the other, I’d say there’s a good chance he’s not an above average defensive coordinator. I also understand - excuses or not - if you don’t show results , you get canned. All I am saying , is that “adjustments” can only get you so far. How much better do you think last year’s defense could have been with adjustments for that personnel ?
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 01:48 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: How do you know that what you saw wasn’t  “the most” of his players?  Again, I’m not an Anarumo fan or anything, and if I had to assume one way or the other, I’d say there’s a good chance he’s not an above average defensive coordinator.  I also understand - excuses or not - if you don’t show results , you get canned.   All I am saying , is that “adjustments” can only get you so far.  How much better do you think last year’s defense could have been with adjustments for that personnel ?

Because I've seen those same players play at a higher level than they ever did under Lou and ZT.

You don't get to use injuries and age as a crutch when every other team has injuries and aging players, so don't bother coming at me with that. The simple fact of the matter is the defensive unit, as a whole, has been just this side of straight garbage since Lou got to town.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 01:51 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Because I've seen those same players play at a higher level than they ever did under Lou and ZT.

You don't get to use injuries and age as a crutch when every other team has injuries and aging players, so don't bother coming at me with that. The simple fact of the matter is the defensive unit, as a whole, has been just this side of straight garbage since Lou got to town.

He wasn't his buddy's 5th choice for the job for no reason. Why he still holds the job is a mystery.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 01:51 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Because I've seen those same players play at a higher level than they ever did under Lou and ZT.

I feel this could turn into a "me defending Lou Anarumo" back and forth game, and I really don't feel like he is deserving of that much attention at this point, so I "won't bother coming at you with that."     For anyone that only sees this post, please don't confuse me as being an advocate of Anarumo lol.   I simply was pointing out how bad the personnel was last season. Dead Horse
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 02:04 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: I feel this could turn into a "me defending Lou Anarumo" back and forth game, and I really don't feel like he is deserving of that much attention at this point, so I "won't bother coming at you with that."     For anyone that only sees this post, please don't confuse me as being an advocate of Anarumo lol.   I simply was pointing out how bad the personnel was last season. Dead Horse

I'm not trying to accuse you of defending Lou and I apologize if I come off that way. I'm simply airing out grievances with his coaching method (or as I see it - lack thereof).
Reply/Quote
Lou had a good game plan against the Ravens the first time we played them. We were not quite as injured at that point and did a pretty good job of keeping Lamar from going off on us in that first game. As the injuries piled up, we just kept getting worse though.

He was very hard to judge last year, but will be easier this year after we continued to load up on the defense. This is his year to show what he's got. If we fall on our face, I definitely see a new DC coming.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 03:11 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I'm not trying to accuse you of defending Lou and I apologize if I come off that way. I'm simply airing out grievances with his coaching method (or as I see it - lack thereof).

All good my friend, and thank you for the clarification. I’m kind of new - at least in terms of posting. Being Bengal fans can certainly be a polarizing endeavor lol.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I love the fact that Chase didn't play last year and be worn out coming in to his rookie season.  All the games, post-season games, then combine prep and right in to OTAs....it seemed to wear out a lot of guys.  I don't know if Higgins was ever 100% healthy with his hamstring issue (that is kind of exciting to think given what he accomplished).  

I understand what you are saying about Jackson being made for the guard position, but there is still a chance he ends up being the RT of the future.  Very excited about him and how the right side of the line will look this year.  I, for one, kind of enjoy the continual questioning of the "lack of emphasis on the offensive line" narrative as it has to piss off the likes of Carman, Spain, Reiff, etc.  You could kind of sense the annoyance when Burrow was asked if the moves in the offseason can "keep him upright".

I don't have one single thing I love most about this draft, but two major components are getting the amazing weapon in Chase and the slide in Rd 2, where they STILL got Carman and added the likes of Shelvin and Smith at critical depth positions.  It also allowed them to get the top kicker in the draft perhaps a little earlier because they had already addressed so many needs by the 5th round.  

Time will tell on Smith if he can put the weight on and keep it on.  He probably won't be asked to do much this season barring injuries, but he could be a very valuable long term piece.  Shelvin and McPherson will contribute significantly this year. 

Great point on Chase taking off the year. You have mentioned it before that rookies have it rough going right from college to
the Combine, to OTA's to Training Camp to the regular season and adjusting. Chase is as fresh as he can be right now. Carman
can definitely play RT or LT in a pinch for us which is why he is so valuable, just don't match him up against speed.

Hope the O-lineman we brought in are taking it personal and want to prove this is not a problem anymore.

The trade back was key to this Draft. Like you said, got us Shelvin and D'ante along with the ability to draft McPherson.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 03:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great point on Chase taking off the year. You have mentioned it before that rookies have it rough going right from college to
the Combine, to OTA's to Training Camp to the regular season and adjusting. Chase is as fresh as he can be right now.
Carman
can definitely play RT or LT in a pinch for us which is why he is so valuable, just don't match him up against speed.

Hope the O-lineman we brought in are taking it personal and want to prove this is not a problem anymore.

The trade back was key to this Draft. Like you said, got us Shelvin and D'ante along with the ability to draft McPherson.

You also have to factor in that most rookie receivers don't already have a built-in chemistry from college with their quarterback from college like Burrow and Chase do.

That, plus everything that you mentioned has me excited!
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 01:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: One where we don't allow 404 rush yards to the Ravens?

Kinda unfair to put 100% of the blame on players for that.

I mean, duh.

Who blamed the players 100%? It's hard to win and play up to par, when you are just finding bodies walking the street 1 Sunday and starting in a NFL game the following Sunday. 
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 01:15 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Pay me his salary and I'll let you know.

Part of the game is adjusting to getting hit in the mouth and play the game with the cards you're dealt. He's being paid to make the most of his players and thus far has failed to do so.

Kind of what I thought.......
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 04:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You also have to factor in that most rookie receivers don't already have a built-in chemistry from college with their quarterback from college like Burrow and Chase do.

That, plus everything that you mentioned has me excited!

That too most definitely. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 10:14 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Kind of what I thought.......

Oh my bad for shitting all over your boy who has put forth some of the worst defensive game plans I've ever had the displeasure of watching.

I don't need to come up with anything because I'm not being paid 7 digits annually to do so.

But stay on that train - I'm sure he'll turn it around, what with his long storied history of successful defenses.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 10:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Who blamed the players 100%? It's hard to win and play up to par, when you are just finding bodies walking the street 1 Sunday and starting in a NFL game the following Sunday. 

I'm having the same conversation in 2 different threads Mellow

Just like I said in the other thread, the Ravens set a record against us.

All those terrible defenses from the 90s? Never allowed 404 rush yards.

You have to look at the coaching/scheme and personnel for a disaster like that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 10:32 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Oh my bad for shitting all over your boy who has put forth some of the worst defensive game plans I've ever had the displeasure of watching.

I don't need to come up with anything because I'm not being paid 7 digits annually to do so.

But stay on that train - I'm sure he'll turn it around, what with his long storied history of successful defenses.
Who said he was my boy? I just figured since you were talking like you knew all about defensive schemes , you had a better plan. It's apparent you don't. 
Reply/Quote