Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Day Theory
So, I believe that the run of great drafts we had 2-5 years ago has given our front office a false sense of talent when it comes to drafting. I do believe that for about 3 years our team was hands down the best team in the NFL in terms of getting talent through all 7 rounds and applying it to the field. Seriously, Andy Dalton now would be a 1st round pick. Geno Atkins would be a first round pick. Carlos Dunlap is a 1st round pick. I'm not saying we didn't have any busts.

With that being said, I think our team thinks that we are a better drafting team that we are. That hubris has gone as far as drafting a 1st rounder to warm up the pine for 2 consecutive years and due to an injury, make it 3 (Dennard, Ogbuehi, and WJIII). In fact, we drafted a player who had a pre-existing knee injury and there was no guarantee he would ever return to form. I don't think as a championship caliber team we should have been taking that gamble.

On draft day, I predict that we trade down, significantly, for extra late round draft picks. I'd expect us to trade down to the later teens (17-19) or maybe even as far as 24. But, I can almost guarantee that short of some miraculous slide, we trade down a minimum of 6 places. Our front office thinks that they are far better drafters than they actually are. Then again, later round draft picks actually play for us, so maybe we should trade down.

For me, I know that we won't be getting Mike Williams of Clemson, Leonard Fournette of LSU is out of the picture (I'd rather get Nick Chubb of UGA next year anyway), and the Alabama DE and LB are not in our cards either.

I think this years draft is going to disappoint, yet again. Just like this past season...
Reply/Quote
If Mike Williams is there they would be idiots not to take him.
Reply/Quote
I strongly agree with this theory. They already have 11 draft picks in this draft. If anything, to prevent drafting players that will not have roster spots, I could see them trading up....not in the first round (points for earlier selections are way too high) but to move up in Rd 2 to get a OT they covet (assuming they go DE in the first)? Absolutely.

I am more intrigued with this draft than in recent years. The Bengals are sitting in a VERY interesting spot. With the inevitable run on QBs early, there should be a very good DE available. However, there are scenarios where the QBs aren't gobbled up, but there is an early run on DEs at which stage you wonder: would the Bengals take Delvin Cook?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't mind them trading down to secure more picks. And there's still the possibility that they trade McCarron for even more picks.

Could be a very good draft if they play it right.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 12:04 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Wouldn't mind them trading down to secure more picks.  And there's still the possibility that they trade McCarron for even more picks.

Could be a very good draft if they play it right.

Eleven picks?  And you want to get more?  How many of the eleven or more will make the team?  Give me five or six guys who contribute right away and I'm a happy camper.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 06:36 AM)Jpoore Wrote: If Mike Williams is there they would be idiots not to take him.

Mike Williams is far too dynamic a player to be sliding to 9. I think that this year's draft fall will be Fournette. Every year there is a slide and my money is on Fournette. Good player, but not top 10 like he is projected.

Edit: Mike Williams doesn't make it past Carolina. If he slides it's only as far as the Panthers.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 08:24 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: Mike Williams is far too dynamic a player to be sliding to 9. I think that this year's draft fall will be Fournette. Every year there is a slide and my money is on Fournette. Good player, but not top 10 like he is projected.

Edit: Mike Williams doesn't make it past Carolina. If he slides it's only as far as the Panthers.
Their need is at corner no question Garret and Allen 1 and 2 then u got 2 corners in top 8 Ruben Foster Tom Williams I think he'll be there at 9 due to that neck injury will have him slide just a tad.plus a team that needs a amazing safety may go hooker and then there's Jamal Adams and Cam Robinson think most of top 8 go defensive
Reply/Quote
There is absolutely no need to trade down in this draft. 11 picks is overkill.

That being said - I would love to have a bunch of picks in rounds 2 and 3. Move a few of those late rounders to get back into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

1 first rounder, 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders would be a great draft.
Reply/Quote